News on Russian dubbed copies of my videos

I think filing a counterclaim is a wise move according to what little I know about the legal side of things.

@PoiSonSonic:

In any case, I don't get why someone would ever seriously think of monetizing the work of someone else. I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding you but you talk about the creator being at fault for not monetizing his own work adequately and call it capitalism when you take the opportunity to do it. Now then, what prevents you from making a deal with the aforementioned creator? If it's really true that you can make something great out of a given work you just need to convince the other party of that. I'm assuming many things but I still think this is worth considering in most, if not all, cases.

I think filing a counterclaim is a wise move according to what little I know about the legal side of things.

@PoiSonSonic:

In any case, I don't get why someone would ever seriously think of monetizing the work of someone else. I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding you but you talk about the creator being at fault for not monetizing his own work adequately and call it capitalism when you take the opportunity to do it. Now then, what prevents you from making a deal with the aforementioned creator? If it's really true that you can make something great out of a given work you just need to convince the other party of that. I'm assuming many things but I still think this is worth considering in most, if not all, cases.

Hey there Goldsmith, to answer your first sentence - it's simpler than working yourself. If you can with no bad consequences steal a couple of apples, then your pie will cost less to bake. Profit!

Next, Not quite, I stress not directly monetization as it is, but giving people empty space to fill on their own (in this case there is demand for FM in non-english speaking sector), instead of filling it with own hands. I assume, if Ross had for example several channels divided by language, say Accursed Farms DE, for Germans, with less videos, at LEAST people would be discouraged to create yet another channel to do the translation when there already is an official channel for that, or even suggest their help on it.

Next, what prevents? If we are speaking about nonprofit - being shy, believing the creator won't answer anyway, willing to do it without regard of creators wishes, you name it.

If we are speaking making profit - all of previously said plus will to make some cash along the way.

If it's really true that you can make something great out of a given work you just need to convince the other party of that.

In my humble opinion, a translator wishes to spread what he sees as valuable to people who might wish to receive it. The fact of translation something rarely makes it great, or considerably more great then it was. Which in it's turn undermines your argument. In other words, I see it as a manifestation of a low demand, low quality force to provide goods where demand resides. Dubbing is child's play compared to creating an actual video.

That all makes me wonder how a book is translated and how do they settle the matter with the original creator. Maybe we can learn from them.

Thank you for being polite, Sir.

To be honest, I find the matter to be Ross' fault entirely, because if one wishes to get revenue for his work in other languages, he should care about it in the first place, for example by making an arrangement with translators and having them post their stuff on the main channel (Accursed farms in this case)

Control! Control! Control!

Stopgame.ru have been translating Freeman's mind around after Episode 4 was released. They were okay with me reposting their stuff a day or two after they make a release (which I didn't if anyone's concerned), to avoid viewjacking but whatever.

Point is - if you want to have your work to remain yours - be responsible and have it translated and released under your control.

As content creators, we have the ability to become "evil", like infamous Warner Brothers and alike are, ripping and tearing through content thieves. Question is - what does it take to use this power and claim what's lawfully yours?

Let's take Vsauce, Mike and Kevin AFAIK, are not concerned about not receiving part of revenue from their translated/stolen videos. Here's a quick look at one video of theirs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUddy8RGwns - Original - 4,348,471 views

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY3LtEEB7Hs - Russian dub - 169,968 views

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gyAxNcAac8 - Another russian dub - 15,038 views

Which makes for 4% lost views to a russian, not english speaking audience. Is it significant? Depends on statistics? How much does a Freeman's mind 01 generate over a month? $400? If so, do 4% ($16) matter?

According to http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats7.htm - 77.9% of internet speaks (in declining order) English 26.3%, Chinese 20.8%, Spanish, Arabic, Portuguese, Japanese, Malay, Russian 2.9%, French, German

So by covering all of those, except for English one may get control over additional 51% of population, tripling view count sole English provides.

Is it economically viable to get involved in all those shenanigans ? Translating, or getting one's content translated ? Only Ross can know.

Some people are fans and want to spread the joy on their own terms, working for free, others, like stopgame.ru wish to parasite on Ross' genius and with little effort increase traffic to their own projects, even with partially good intent (like promoting machinimas over russian speaking internet), money come into the equation. They sure think it's viable. Hiring translators and having them work. This is how I picture their internal conversation - "This is a piece of attraction, with $50 we can make it work for us, which will drive 50 000 users to our site. Is it good enough? Let's see! If 1 user * ads = $0.003, then 50 000 users * ads = $150. Solid investment! Should we share the revenue with Ross Scott? Who is Ross Scott? We don't care! Fuck Americans anyway."

I'm sorry if this comes controversial. I mean no offense against this community.

In short: Is this matter worth be concerned about? If yes - Is the copyright owner going to make a counter attack and claim his rights? If yes - what will that accomplish?

The difference between Vsauce and Ross is that Vsauce has 10 million subscribers, as opposed to Ross's 170,000.

This random YouTuber is getting laid with random hot dudes, and is basically the worst person in existence. Why? Just watch the free video.

Red and yellow do go together.

Statistics 101:

If we poll 100 people, 10 will like red, 40 green, 25 blue, the rest will like other colors.

If we poll 10k people, 1090 will like red, 4200 green, 2398 blue, the rest will like other colors.

Meaning we can make assumptions about the whole, based on a limited sample size. The difference is negligible.

I assume, if Ross had for example several channels divided by language, say Accursed Farms DE, for Germans, with less videos, at LEAST people would be discouraged to create yet another channel to do the translation when there already is an official channel for that, or even suggest their help on it.

Here's a better idea:

If someone wants to create a German dub of a video, create it, then give the video to Ross for upload to the official Accursed Farms YouTube channel. Ross and the dubber could work out monetization percentages or whatever so that Ross gets some money for his work, and the dubber can get some money for theirs.

I assume, if Ross had for example several channels divided by language, say Accursed Farms DE, for Germans, with less videos, at LEAST people would be discouraged to create yet another channel to do the translation when there already is an official channel for that, or even suggest their help on it.

Here's a better idea:

If someone wants to create a German dub of a video, create it, then give the video to Ross for upload to the official Accursed Farms YouTube channel. Ross and the dubber could work out monetization percentages or whatever so that Ross gets some money for his work, and the dubber can get some money for theirs.

Sounds nice! What's the incentive for that? At least a text message about it? Somewhere everybody can read it at least... It's all fine, only thing nobody knows about it.

Well, Ross could post it here on the website and it would appear as a new video on his YouTube channel. Ross could even make a video advertising it. (This is me speaking on my own without input from Ross, so take from it how you will.)

I imagine such a video opening up with Ross against his green screen with a backdrop showing various flags flying in the wind.

"こんにちは! Sprechen sie Deutsch? Parlez-vous français? Hablas español? а ты говоришь по русски? I don't, but if you do and would like to dub my videos into your language, contact me and we can work it out and, if it's done well, I'll include it here on my YouTube channel. Who knows? Maybe you can get some money!"

Or however Ross would do it. If the dubbers have their own websites or fora, they can then link to the videos when they appear on the YouTube account.

Maybe even making a intro video - which autoplays if you visit somebodies channel.

In any case, it should be decided if it's worth the effort.

Maybe, THE MOVIE will get dubbed before release? That'd be great.

The nerve of some people. Don't worry Ross, we've got your back. Let us know if you need any help on this. You made it through the Machinima battle, you can certaintly deal with some reuploaders.

I'm really not surprised to know that there's still dubbed copies of Freeman's Mind around (in fact, that's precisely how I got introduced to the series, as I couldn't speak nor read English back then).

However, claiming ownership of your own videos is so absurd that it could have very well been an April Fools joke. Huh, maybe the missed the date due to timezones or something :P

You know, I'm thinking about creating a technology company whose name would make people think about winding roads, technology and all the "E" online mambo-jumbo. It should be called: "Path-E-Tech".

I need to get a this out of the way first. I absolutely hate copyright strikes and the frankly ludicrous way YouTube handles copyrights most of the time. There is no penalty for false claims, and the burden of proof lies with the victim, not the claimant. That doesn't even go into things like game creators, reviewers, and what is considered public domain. I will support Ross in any decision he makes involving copyrights and the protection of his channel, even if it means retaliatory copyright claims against other channels. If he feels he has to hit hard to protect himself, so be it.

As far as the rest of this thread, I am apathetic towards other channels dubbing Ross's videos in anther language. However, I am not a content creator and probably never will be considering the direction YouTube is going right now. So I can't fully appreciate where he is coming from with the monetization thing. That being said, I can appreciate the fact that content is not easy to make, and income will allow him to make more and better content.

It is perfectly reasonable to ask that people making money off the content he made should give something back. On top of that, he is being very generous with his terms. In the long term, this benefits everyone as it enables him to make more content, and that gives them more content to dub and get income from.

I'm a huge proponent of piracy, the kind that shares stuff for free... When other people take stuff that's already shared for free, (like everything Ross makes) and try to sell it, that is where I consider it to be bad. (if they make dubbed copies, and either give it free or donate a reasonable portion back to the original author, that is not the same as stealing IMO) If someone then tries to claim that the original author is the one stealing the content, that's when I get truly pissed. These assholes deserve everything negative they get from this dick move of theirs.

Ross, it's good to make claims against people stealing your content, don't ever feel bad about it. - With respect, a true pirate.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.