Artists? (Possibly another image heavy topic)

NO WORRIES, MATE!!! Practice, and you'll draw like me. It's easier than you think!

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

No, it's not :(.

For instance, while I can draw this without much effort.

(Click to enlarge)

IMG-20111022-00238-small.jpg

I will never be able to create something like your last drawing. That is not something you can learn, it's a natural skill, a direct result of how your brain is wired for creativity, visual processing and motor skills. Mine is pretty good at problem solving, math and spatial comprehension, but that's it.

Anyway, enough self pity. Be sure to post pictures of your first art show ;).

I bring you mortal danger and cookies. Not necessarily in that order.

http://www.youtube.com/jclc

No, it's not :(.

For instance, while I can draw this without much effort.

(Click to enlarge)

IMG-20111022-00238-small.jpg

I will never be able to create something like your last drawing. That is not something you can learn, it's a natural skill, a direct result of how your brain is wired for creativity, visual processing and motor skills. Mine is pretty good at problem solving, math and spatial comprehension, but that's it.

Anyway, enough self pity. Be sure to post pictures of your first art show ;).

JC, replica art is a technical skill.

You CAN learn it through the Da Vinci Skeleton system (Draw internal organs/bones first to the proportions then sketch around them, then erase internal organs/bones) after a while it should be automatic. What you cannot learn is the mind's fantasy and interpretation of what is real. Realistic drawing can be achieved by more than 95 % of people with time as far as I know.

Anyway, just finished auto-portrait, might upload soon.

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

Her's is not realistic drawing. It's pure fantastic creation.

I agree that by repetition alone one could eventually learn to draw a face, a body. But it's only a facsimile, and you need a model, a template. It's not the real stuff, the spark of creativity and natural skill that makes a person a true artist.

I bring you mortal danger and cookies. Not necessarily in that order.

http://www.youtube.com/jclc

Whenever I try to draw anything, things don't scale properly, or whatever the correct term is. As an example, say I drew two circles, they wouldn't be the same size. Which is rather annoying.

That said, I do believe that through practice and hard work anyone can do anything. I simply don't spend very much time drawing at all. I feel that there should be technique to this beyond trying to draw lines and 'hoping' stuff looks right. Is there any good techniques for trying to draw 'stuff' that anyone could perhaps recommend?

On an unrelated note there's some really nice art work in this thread. :D

Do you do any pictures of the Spy, Jek Jek Tar? Or is it just the Sniper?

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

J.C:

The hardest thing about drawing fantasy for me is the details. I can do an outline (even a moody one; energetic, happy, bored) of a creature, however I lack the biological understanding of how exactly this creature would work and where it's details should be and how they would look moving against air etc etc.

I have the same problem with dificult things such as a musket, a running man, a jumping horse.

In reality you have to really understand all the main physical/technical factors before drawing... I think to make a great strong person picture you would have to concentrate on the heart's beating and draw from it, like blood vessels flowing through the person pumping muscles. I have a great picture in my mind currently...

Lord Sinister:

Read Da Vinci's instructions on proportions.

a palm is four fingers

a foot is four palms

a cubit is six palms

four cubits make a man

a pace is four cubits

a man is 24 palms

and these measurements are in his buildings". The second paragraph reads: "if you open your legs enough that your head is lowered by one-fourteenth of your height and raise your hands enough that your extended fingers touch the line of the top of your head, know that the centre of the extended limbs will be the navel, and the space between the legs will be an equilateral triangle".

The lower section of text gives these proportions:

the length of the outspread arms is equal to the height of a man

from the hairline to the bottom of the chin is one-tenth of the height of a man

from below the chin to the top of the head is one-eighth of the height of a man

from above the chest to the top of the head is one-sixth of the height of a man

from above the chest to the hairline is one-seventh of the height of a man

the maximum width of the shoulders is a quarter of the height of a man

from the breasts to the top of the head is a quarter of the height of a man

the distance from the elbow to the tip of the hand is a quarter of the height of a man

the distance from the elbow to the armpit is one-eighth of the height of a man

the length of the hand is one-tenth of the height of a man

the root of the penis is at half the height of a man

the foot is one-seventh of the height of a man

from below the foot to below the knee is a quarter of the height of a man

from below the knee to the root of the penis is a quarter of the height of a man

the distances from the below the chin to the nose and the eyebrows and the hairline are equal to the ears and to one-third of the face

Also,

Draw an excoskeleton made up of small bones. The size of the bones parts should all be based on the Da Vinci description.

EDIT:

For the human body is so designed by nature that the face, from the chin to the top of the forehead and the lowest roots of the hair, is a tenth part of the whole height; the open hand from the wrist to the tip of the middle finger is just the same; the head from the chin to the crown is an eighth, and with the neck and shoulder from the top of the breast to the lowest roots of the hair is a sixth; from the middle of the breast to the summit of the crown is a fourth. If we take the height of the face itself, the distance from the bottom of the chin to the under side of the nostrils is one third of it; the nose from the under side of the nostrils to a line between the eyebrows is the same; from there to the lowest roots of the hair is also a third, comprising the forehead. The length of the foot is one sixth of the height of the body; of the forearm, one fourth; and the breadth of the breast is also one fourth. The other members, too, have their own symmetrical proportions, and it was by employing them that the famous painters and sculptors of antiquity attained to great and endless renown. Similarly, in the members of a temple there ought to be the greatest harmony in the symmetrical relations of the different parts to the general magnitude of the whole. Then again, in the human body the central point is naturally the navel. For if a man be placed flat on his back, with his hands and feet extended, and a pair of compasses centred at his navel, the fingers and toes of his two hands and feet will touch the circumference of a circle described therefrom. And just as the human body yields a circular outline, so too a square figure may be found from it. For if we measure the distance from the soles of the feet to the top of the head, and then apply that measure to the outstretched arms, the breadth will be found to be the same as the height, as in the case of plane surfaces which are perfectly square.

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

Pretty much that. ^

I CAN draw, and I've actually drawn quite a few good things in my opinion, but a lot of times I have no idea what the hell I'm doing when I draw. I'll have to get some of my better pics on here at some point but my scanner sucks the big one and don't have a drawing tablet. (I need, NEED a tablet)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

I just lack the originality, imagination, motor-skills and the ability to finish any project that takes over 5minutes of work.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I want to say Uncharted, not sure though. Never played any of the Uncharted games. Anyway looks cool, although the climbing guy's body looks a little disproportional.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

First time whipping out the ol' digital pen in a while.

doodlesa.png

gordonfreeman.png

Fight those Combine, Gordon! Where-ever and whenever they may be!

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

4p9526O82oacu1iqui4ostolo1_400.jpg

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

I made these two animations with MS Paint (all of the frames in MS paint!!) and with flash MX (just to put the frames in the timeline in the right order) more than 8 years ago.

tim.gif

tt.gif

"It's not about changing the world. It's about doing our best to leave the world... the way it is. It's about respecting the will of others, and believing in your own."