Games you wish are digitally distributed but aren't

Sign in to follow this  

Simple really, what are some games you wish you could/can get online (legally), but for whatever reason, they're not digitally distributed.

For me there's the Tony Hawk's games (up until Project 8 or Proving Grounds), Spider-Man games (for a while we had Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions, but it was taken down) mainly Web of Shadows, Spider-Man 2 (port the console version, PC version is well... so bad, like really bad. Borderline so bad it's good), and Ultimate Spider-Man. Other titles wouldn't hurt. I also would like to see No One Lives Forever, and the Harry Potter games (mainly 1-3 PC and Console versions).

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Black and White. Pretty much the only one I can think of right now. I'm always dropping in on GoG to see if they get it but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Retired Forum Moderator

The Neverhood. Easily my favorite game of all time, an absolutely unique claymation puzzle adventure game, but good luck trying to find a used copy of it that won't cost you $100 or more. The Curse Of Monkey Island is also sorely missed with the first two games being readily available (albeit in Special Edition form). And I agree with Psychotic Ninja, No One Lives Forever needs to make a comeback as well.

Mafia 1 and the old Destroy All Humans games (especially the first, which I think was console only).

They're not panties, so it's not embarrassing.

Basically yeah, the Tony Hawk games. Also I'd love to have the original Resident Evil 4 on steam instead of the HD version since that one doesn't have the annoying slowdown effect.

the name's riley

No One Lives Forever 1 and 2

Basically if they can sort out the legal bullshit behind the games, we could all see a proper digital release.

Monster Truck Madness 1 and 2

These games have become somewhat hard to find nowadays. Good ol' monstertruckin' action.

Motocross Madness

Loved this when it came out, mostly cause you could drive ANYWHERE.

O.D.T.

Classic third person shooter that somehow never got re-released online. I still have a big box of it that doesn't work on modern PC's...

Aliens vs Predator 2

Monolith's classic take on the AVP franchise remains probably the best game in the franchise. Unfortunately, it hasn't gotten re-released online.

XIII

To my knowledge, this comic-book style FPS was never re-released digitally. Definitely deserves it.

Area 51

The FPS starring David Duchovny and Marilyn Manson (of all things) explored a lot of stuff I adore, but it's never been digitally re-released. Someone should get on that.

The Neverhood. Easily my favorite game of all time, an absolutely unique claymation puzzle adventure game, but good luck trying to find a used copy of it that won't cost you $100 or more. The Curse Of Monkey Island is also sorely missed with the first two games being readily available (albeit in Special Edition form). And I agree with Psychotic Ninja, No One Lives Forever needs to make a comeback as well.

I concuuuurrrrrrr! Neverhood SORELY needs a HD remaster release imo as Armikrog left a lot to be desired. And Curse of Monkey Island is definitely missed in my digital Monkey Island collection. I wouldn't mind seeing Escape from Monkey Island either.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Submarine Titans, Jazz Jackrabbit 2, AvP 2... really, I would say any game which is still commercial should get a digital release, even if it will be just the original copy without any compatibility improvements.

Area 51

The FPS starring David Duchovny and Marilyn Manson (of all things) explored a lot of stuff I adore, but it's never been digitally re-released. Someone should get on that.

Apparently, the US Air Force offered free download of Area 51 for some time, the site doesn't work now. Yet that version of the game can be now found around the internet, but I don't think it is freeware, only that it was a free download. The point is, it means that there is a sort of digital release of Area 51.

Submarine Titans, Jazz Jackrabbit 2, AvP 2... really, I would say any game which is still commercial should get a digital release, even if it will be just the original copy without any compatibility improvements.

Area 51

Apparently, the US Air Force offered free download of Area 51 for some time, the site doesn't work now. Yet that version of the game can be now found around the internet, but I don't think it is freeware, only that it was a free download. The point is, it means that there is a sort of digital release of Area 51.

Sure. Sort of. I want a proper digital re-release though.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

No One Lives Forever 1 and 2

Basically if they can sort out the legal bullshit behind the games, we could all see a proper digital release.

The IP rights to NOLF are notoriously yucky. It's due to how 3 companies own the IP and they don't even know just how much of a legal stake each other have. The game was published by both Fox and Sierra (which was bought by Activision) and the game was developed by Monolith which was bought by WB. The story goes that Night Dive tried to buy the IP wholesale but at the very last minute, Fox renewed their trademark and stated they'd only look for their contract if Night Dive paid them for their rights to the IP ahead of time before finding out how much they own of it. And nobody was interested in licensing it out to them.

It's likely someone will attempt to buy the NOLF IP in the future. Night Dive did buy the IP rights to System Shock wholesale from EA and from the rights holders who purchased Looking Glass. (Apparently it was a nightmare tracking them all down. Seemingly a dental practice had part of the rights). But the biggest reason they did that was because they wanted to make a sequel to SS2. So it's likely they might try again after the System Shock remake and sequel are released.

Monster Truck Madness 1 and 2

These games have become somewhat hard to find nowadays. Good ol' monstertruckin' action.

Basically everything made on Monster Truck Madness's engine is Microsoft and unlikely to be re-released unless the IP is bought outright from them. This also includes Fury 3 and Hellbender

Motocross Madness

Loved this when it came out, mostly cause you could drive ANYWHERE.

Motocross Madness is a Microsoft game and Microsoft is notoriously stingy with re-releasing older games. (They've produced quite a few older games that have never been re-released. Such as Crimson Skies. The lone exceptions seemingly are Age of Empires.)

Aliens vs Predator 2

Monolith's classic take on the AVP franchise remains probably the best game in the franchise. Unfortunately, it hasn't gotten re-released online.

AVP2's rights are shacked up similar to NOLF's. It's due to how there are 3 companies involved. (Sierra became Activision. FOX owns the Aliens and Predator IP. And Monolith was bought by Warner Bros)

Area 51

Someone would most likely have to contact the US military. It was released as freeware so I doubt they'd digitally re-release it.

XIII

To my knowledge, this comic-book style FPS was never re-released digitally. Definitely deserves it.

XIII was released on GOG not that long ago. It was taken down because Ubisoft's license with the company responsible for the XIII comic book ended. Due to how poorly XIII sold (it was going to have a sequel but due to the lack of sales it didn't) it's unlikely XIII will ever get re-released again.

You can see the store page via Archive.org

https://web.archive.org/web/20120204101701/http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/xiii

Mafia 1

Mafia 1 was on Steam for a while but was taken down with no warning. Nobody really knows why but what's suspected is the license for the game's music ran out. 2K could obviously re-license the tracks but I doubt they care about it that much. A similar thing occurred to Grand Theft Auto San Andreas which caused Rockstar to take the game down for a little while before putting it back up with part of it's ost removed.

Ace Combat 4, 5, and Zero. With Ace Combat 7 coming out I am hoping they put the golden trilogy on PSN in HD via the PS4's PS2 emulation or on PC. They already ran in 60FPS on PS2, just need HD. Also AC6 wouldn't hurt

Panzer Dragoon. I have only ever played this on PC, I heard that Sega has lost the source code and a digital release may never happen though. The game is also a full unlockable in Panzer Dragoon Orta, so maybe port that too.

Mercenaries Playground Of Destruction. PC or newer console port would be fantastic. Also maybe add a radio for driving...

Sudden Strike series.