May UT2004 session info

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

After having to postpone the last UT2004 session, here's a heads up on the next one. It will be on May 27th, 2pm EST at twitch.tv/rossbroadcast. We'll also be trying some custom maps this time. Here's a map pack to download ahead of time (110MB):

Map pack for May session

You just need to unzip this into your UT2004 directory and that should be it. Here's the server info for Saturday:

Primary server:

ut2004.ziltoid.rocks

password: dog

Secondary (overflow) server:

ut2004.ziltoid.rocks:8888 – Overflow #1

password: dog

I'll have a reminder on Saturday on twitter.

COMMENTS

Since most of the players won't have rar support, you should link to 7zip so they don't wind up downloading winrar or pkzip. For windows say that they should open or associate the file with the 7zip file manager. Either that or the host can upload a zip like a normal person. :)

http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

Since most of the players won't have rar support, you should link to 7zip so they don't wind up downloading winrar or pkzip. For windows say that they should open or associate the file with the 7zip file manager. Either that or the host can upload a zip like a normal person. :)

http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

I second this.

Come the full moon, the bat flies whose boiling blood shall stem the tide.

For anyone who wants to play, I STRONGLY recommend downloading the map pack from Ross's link. UT2004 will try to download the map for you, but either their servers are tied to 2004 speed or something, or the protocol is broken, because it takes like 30 minutes to download them from the game itself.

Since most of the players won't have rar support, you should link to 7zip so they don't wind up downloading winrar or pkzip. For windows say that they should open or associate the file with the 7zip file manager.

I used rar since it gave the best results in terms of file size, downloading 100MB before hand can be annoying so I wanted the smallest file size possible. Also, most of the players are on Windows (based on the ut server logs) and chances are most will have any other open/free software that supports rar extraction.

Either that or the host can upload a zip like a normal person. :)

What does that supposed to mean?

--

For those who doesn't have winrar, here's a ZIP of the pack. And for those who are on GNU/Linux and doesn't have a rar or zip tool, here's a tar.gz file.

For anyone who wants to play, I STRONGLY recommend downloading the map pack from Ross's link. UT2004 will try to download the map for you, but either their servers are tied to 2004 speed or something, or the protocol is broken, because it takes like 30 minutes to download them from the game itself.

Yes, the in-game download is painfully slow if no "fast download" url is specified on the server side, our server has a fast download so it should take 1 to 2 minutes to download a full map if you didn't downloaded the mappack, even less depending on your internet connection.

However, you need to have the latest patch to work (apparently)

Either that or the host can upload a zip like a normal person. :)

What does that supposed to mean?

It means that Windows and Mac OS have natively supported zip compression for more than 15 years. It's normal in the sense that nearly everyone on the internet has immediate access to it. The smiley face means "I'm not being especially serious here."

The main problem isn't even rar per se. The main problem is most searches one might do in order to find a utility to open a rar will bring one to adware laden software.

The main problem is most searches one might do in order to find a utility to open a rar will bring one to adware laden software.

First and second results are the main sites for WinRAR and 7zip, both are the two most used 3rd party file compression format utilities. No adware in either of them, and they loathe it as much as I myself do.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

The thing about Shadowrun mages being able to hit anything they can see is it's literally "Are photons from the target reaching your eyes enough that you can make out their image?"

Telescopes, mirrors, and fiber optics all count. Mirror on a stick was very useful. The only reason they can't hit the moon is there's no mana in space. Their main disadvantage is that casting any spell requires resisting stun or even physical damage.

The thing about Shadowrun mages being able to hit anything they can see is it's literally "Are photons from the target reaching your eyes enough that you can make out their image?"

Telescopes, mirrors, and fiber optics all count. Mirror on a stick was very useful. The only reason they can't hit the moon is there's no mana in space. Their main disadvantage is that casting any spell requires resisting stun or even physical damage.

I think you might have the wrong thread... That said, I'm also a Shadowrunner. :ugeek:

Nope. There was a discussion in this session about elves vs technology, and Shadowrun was mentioned there

A.K.A. UberCatSR

Favorite game: Quake 1.

--------

Ah yes... Elves and technology combined would kinda put an end to a debate about one or the other.

[...]Is this how UnrealED is supposed to actually work? Selecting faces is obnoxiously slow, the camera is also horrible.[...]

Win10 is the worst to work/play with all programms which are older than Win10 and the worst for 70% from all which are newer. So don't blame the Editor. ;)

Making such a big and detailed map which you has opened there need a few more hours of work.. 1000 and more.. so as long you don't made something like that from scratch yourselve, you don't have the right to say that they are "poorly made".. also when they are. It can have a bad gameplay, but thats an other point. You will have bad gameplay when you play with 16 vs 16 players on a map which is made for 3 vs 3 and vis versa..

The Editor is still a 3D-Modelling programm and they are all bad, the old as well as the new. The bigger the map, the more details in your view the slower it is.. using win10 makes it just worse. The Engine itselve could also handel high poly StaticMeshes, and with the right lightning it can nearly look as good as the newer engines (And it will also heat up your CPU as hell.).

Try using an other view (Textured), remove the SM (W) the Volumes (O) the Fog (F) and "Hide Actors". That should make it faster.