Post your setup!

This is the first topic I have started here!

I'm a pretty big nerd/ geek so this would have happened eventually. I'd like to know what kind of hardware your machine is packing.

Even if you have a Mac/ PC/ or something completely different, lets hear what you've got under the hood.

Personally I'm packing:

CPU: phenom II x6 1090 O.C. @ 4.0ghz

CPU cooler: CORSAIR H50 HYDRO liquid cooling

Mother board: BIOSTAR TA890FXE

RAM: GSKILL ripjaws 8gb (4x 2gb) DDR3 1600

GPU: HIS AMD Radeon 6870

HDD: 1tb WD Caviar Black

Power Supply: KingWin Lazer 1000w modular

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 full tower.

I'm a pretty big nerd/ geek so this would have happened eventually. I'd like to know what kind of hardware your machine is packing.

Even if you have a Mac/ PC/ or something completely different, lets hear what you've got under the hood.

Personally I'm packing:

Topics merged. Please check the other forums before creating a new topic as there might already be one you can post in.

Awesome setup by the way.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Personally I'm packing:

Topics merged. Please check the other forums before creating a new topic as there might already be one you can post in.

Awesome setup by the way.

Damn Alyxx, I was about to merge that topic... ''The requested topic does not exist''.

Nice setup... Not really a fan of biostar motherboards but oh well

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

I can't stand AMD...

Intel + Nvidia = WIN!

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Did I mention I really can't stand AMD?

Or that Intel with Nvidia are totally kick-ass?

I can't stand AMD...

Intel + Nvidia = WIN!

I've used both Nvidia and ATI cards over the years, they both have had pros and cons and both have done underhanded things. For every pro and con of one card, I can give you one of another, it kind of depends on what your preferences are for different things. Since I'm an antialiasing junkie, I currently prefer Nvidia's cards since with 3rd party software I've found they have better AA compatibility and for some games, potentially top image quality. ATI has really been more of a pioneer in the AA department however, with Nvidia usually catching up. If you don't use AA however, they really are practically equal in image quality. For bang-for-buck however, ATI is currently kicking Nvidia's ass up and down the block in terms of speed you can get for the same amount of money.

For CPUs, on the budget end of things, you really can't beat the bang for buck ratio with AMD, even though the fastest end is dominated by Intel. I kind of have issues with Intel however since they've engaged in a campaign of illegal business practices over the past decade, especially around the turn of the century, that skewed the whole playing field. AMD was kicking ass with the first Athlon and it took Intel years to catch up. During that time, they couldn't gain any market share because behind the scenes Intel was engaging in price fixing, extortion of vendors, bribing, pretty much anything to prevent major vendors from purchasing AMD. It was illegal and they've been fined billions of dollars for it by the EU, but it's really a slap on the wrist considering what they make and how much damaged it caused. I'm a little bitter about it, since if they actually followed the law, the CPU playing field might be COMPLETELY different today. For that reason (and price) I generally avoid Intel hardware.

Here's my Rig:

Cpu: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 ghz 12mb OC'd to 3.8ghz

Motherboard: Asus P5Q

Ram: 4GB DDR2 1066 Ocz Reaper memory.

GPU: MSI R6870

HDD: Two 500gb Samsung 7200rpm F3's in RAID-0

And one additional 2TB Samsung F4 5400rpm

PSU: 620w Cooler Master modular power supply.

Cpu cooler: Xigmatek S1283

Case: Cooler Master Sniper.

As for AMD vs Intel: it all depends on who's on top at any given time period. Back in 04 or 05 I got myself a Prescott pentium 4. Those were terrible, I really regretted not getting an AMD Athlon fx at that time, they were miles better.

But with the core series intel has really taken back the performance crown, I really hope AMD can come out swinging again with their Bulldozer CPUs. The market could really benefit from the competition.

As for AMD vs Nvidia, I largely go by gaming benchmarks to see which card offers the most performance for my price range, in this case it was the 6870.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

For CPUs, on the budget end of things, you really can't beat the bang for buck ratio with AMD, even though the fastest end is dominated by Intel.

But with the new Sandy Bridge processors, Intel now has better processors for far less than AMD. ($185 for an i5-2300, new no deals, compared to the equivalent AMD processor Phenom II X6 1100T for $200 on sale and including rebates)

For CPUs, on the budget end of things, you really can't beat the bang for buck ratio with AMD, even though the fastest end is dominated by Intel.

But with the new Sandy Bridge processors, Intel now has better processors for far less than AMD. ($185 for an i5-2300, new no deals, compared to the equivalent AMD processor Phenom II X6 1100T for $200 on sale and including rebates)

Well budget for me is more around the $80 - 120 range for CPUs. If you go up to $200, then Intel is winning there too.

Also if you account that AMD has kept a similar socket type for years on end, you can eliminate a new motherboard cost from a lot of upgrades.

I like intel, amd, and nvidia. But I just don't feel like overpaying by tons for no reason. My x6 is about $200 and outperforms an i7 that costs much more than that. My 6870 is about $210 and outperforms an nvidia card worth $260 (gtx 470).

I like intel, amd, and nvidia. But I just don't feel like overpaying by tons for no reason. My x6 is about $200 and outperforms an i7 that costs much more than that. My 6870 is about $210 and outperforms an nvidia card worth $260 (gtx 470).

You haven't looked at the new Intels then, or the GTX 560 cards...

Maybe make a new thread if you want to keep debating manufacturers.

Sorry... I like tangents... I'll stop now.

If everything about my PC wasn't so terrible and outdated :oops: I would post my specs here. But I've decided to save my money and wait for LGA 2011 and Ivy Bridge.