Post your setup!

Congrats! 8GB of RAM is highly recommended... I had never before used more than 4GB RAM, but when I managed to get a good look at my RAM usage with a historical chart in the middle of last year, the actual usage went up to as high as 7.35GB when I was in-game. (it won't look that high if you check it in other ways usually)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Yeah, that's my top priority now. I'm surprised this DDR2 RAM can be overclocked to around 1200MHz, if that. I tried overclocking the CPU to 4.0GHz and the RAM to 1333MHz, but it just gives me a blue screen every time. Other than that it's not that big of a deal with 3.7GHz as even that is decent. It's good that DayZ finally runs better, I can now ramp up the settings knowing that my GPU wasn't the problem. Also other CPU intensive games are no longer "jumpy"... If that makes sense.

I just... I don't even...

It does... DayZ uses a lot of CPU and a LOT of RAM... Faster and more RAM and a faster CPU are big benefits when you want to go over minimum settings.

Unfortunately, I could never get the ARMA2 game engine to properly map my keyboard and mouse to use default FPS layouts, so I never got in to DayZ.

It does... DayZ uses a lot of CPU and a LOT of RAM...

It's unoptimized as hell, there's a new update coming out that's going to fix that. I've played around with the experimental version for a while and noticed the difference, it's huge.

What I want is physics so that I can drag bodies up on the roof and then dangle them down, wait for someone to come by and then drop them right in front of someone.

EDIT: Oh crap, realized this has nothing to do with the topic... Ugh... Hardware... You turn my software into hardware. No! Umm... I put my D into her C drive :mrgreen:

Interesting way of inserting innuendo... Unfortunately, the two drives only have male connectors...

Interesting way of inserting innuendo... Unfortunately, the two drives only have male connectors...

What if it implies that it is software based? :mrgreen:

Upgraded to an FX 6300, change my motherboard to a 760 chipset based motherboard and I also have 4GB of DDR3 RAM.

I have to tell ya, that CPU changes everything. From a Dual core to a 6 core, it changes everything.

Good. As long as it works, and is better than what you had...

Not bad... The R9 is a very decent GPU, though not as much power as the comparable Nvidia models, it has a very good price/performance ratio. (better than Nvidia for the P/P, but not as much total power)

Not bad... The R9 is a very decent GPU, though not as much power as the comparable Nvidia models, it has a very good price/performance ratio. (better than Nvidia for the P/P, but not as much total power)

Hate to bring this up so late but Maxwell looks very promising, I'm already dead set on an R9 270X but on the other hand saving up might do better.

Hey guys! I've been a long time fan of Ross/Accursed Farms (been a fan since Freeman's Mind 4), and I just now decided to join the forums and stuff, and I saw this and wanted to get your guys' opinion on my setup (sorry to resurrect this topic if it's been dead for a while).

So my setup is an Alienware x51 r1 model (I understand the whole debacle of buying systems instead of building them, but I got this for a killer deal along with an HD monitor, gaming mouse, keyboard, etc). It has:

-Intel Quad Core i7 3770 @ 3.4 ghz

-8GB Ram

-NVIDIA Geforce GTX 555 OEM (the bottle neck of the system, sadly, but at the moment my most taxing game is skyrim, which this card seems to handle with relative ease when nearly maxed out, no AA or Anisotropic Filtering. With AA and AF, it tends to be sort of a wild card with FPS. It handles every other game I have perfectly)

-330w PSU (actually, no, this is probably the bottleneck)

Now, the PSU may be kinda bad for upgrading, but recently this beautiful beast was released: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487070

From multiple reviews and also youtube videos (main guy here: https://www.youtube.com/user/dyablo316/videos), it seems that this card will run perfectly fine if set to 99% power draw instead of 100%. Do you guys think that this is an okay thing to do? Or does turning power draw down to 99% really effect the quality I'd get out of it? And if any of you think I could find a better card, what do you think would be good? Thanks! Also, nice builds everyone :D

Looks like a pretty damn good build! I sorta have a similar setup too and that works wonders for me. X3 Getting old though so it's not as good as it used to be.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

Looks like a pretty damn good build! I sorta have a similar setup too and that works wonders for me. X3 Getting old though so it's not as good as it used to be.

Haha thanks man! I'm pretty stoked to get the 970, I've been trying to get into major PC gaming for years (since 2009 or so) and my new-to-me PC, plus the perfectly timely release of the 970, make it possible. Just hope that setting the power down a little will ensure no reboots :lol:

You're going to want to upgrade the PSU... I'm surprised that 330w is able to power that system at all. Also, bear in mind that the closer to the maximum power that you draw, the less stable the power production is, and the faster you're going to burn out all your components. There are plenty of good quality 500-1000w PSUs for under $50 on Newegg, and I highly recommend getting one that has more than one rail.

As for the video card, it is one of the best, and is likely to not be the bottleneck for anything at any settings for the next year or two.

Also, what speed and timings for your RAM?

You're going to want to upgrade the PSU... I'm surprised that 330w is able to power that system at all. Also, bear in mind that the closer to the maximum power that you draw, the less stable the power production is, and the faster you're going to burn out all your components. There are plenty of good quality 500-1000w PSUs for under $50 on Newegg, and I highly recommend gett :lol: ing one that has more than one rail.

As for the video card, it is one of the best, and is likely to not be the bottleneck for anything at any settings for the next year or two.

Also, what speed and timings for your RAM?

Well, problem with the PSU that I didn't learn until AFTER I bought it is that the motherboard and computer are designed with only 330w in mind and any higher would break or harm or just not work with the system. I can get a special mod for my psu where I can get a 660w overall power, but that's beyond me for modding. I may get a bigger case and a new motherboard so it'll all be okay for psu. As for the ram, I'm not too sure, I'll check later when I get back home. And reading now about all this stuff with power, I think I will do the changing case and motherboard. Better safe than sorry :D

***UPDATE: Actually, I'm talking to a computer buddy of mine and as long as I can find compatible cases that work with the motherboard (m-itx), I can move everything over and get an internal psu just fine. So I'm gonna do that...so that makes me previous question about power irrelevant :lol: As for RAM speed, they are low profile 2x4gb sticks. I'm not sure what all of this means, but it has a DRAM frequency of 798.1mhz, Ras# to Cas# delay of 11 clocks, Ras# precharge of 11 clocks, and a cycle time of 28 clocks. Also, a command rate of 1T. They aren't the best ram sticks in the world, but I plan on upgrading to 2 8gb sticks in the near future, so I'm not too worried about that.

You will want to upgrade the motherboard first, since 8GB@800MHz is really expensive, and really slow. (it'll be a bottleneck even before the CPU, possibly it is already and you just don't realize it) Also, M-ITX is an incredibly small form factor for a 'gaming' computer, I recommend nothing smaller than Micro-ATX. (it might even be cheaper to get a new moboard + new RAM than just the new RAM for that old moboard)

You will want to upgrade the motherboard first, since 8GB@800MHz is really expensive, and really slow. (it'll be a bottleneck even before the CPU, possibly it is already and you just don't realize it) Also, M-ITX is an incredibly small form factor for a 'gaming' computer, I recommend nothing smaller than Micro-ATX. (it might even be cheaper to get a new moboard + new RAM than just the new RAM for that old moboard)

Yeah, i'm working on it now with my friend. He said I could just move the moboard and everything into a new case and then just update as we go on, which I think i'm fine with. I'm looking at a 16gb (8gbx2) kit on newegg that's about 150 or 160 or so. I'll list it here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148663&cm_re=16gb_low_profile_ram-_-20-148-663-_-Product. If you have a better suggestion for ram, please lemme know :D

My original plan was to get a new moboard, psu, and case, but my friend believes that I can just move into a new case and easily upgrade the psu, plus I've found a decent case and psu for ~$100, so if I can keep it that cheap then I'm happy. I'll probably upgrade the moboard down the line after I get my other things (cpu and ram) done. It doesn't seem like the motherboard is that weak. I would just update everything, but I'm a pretty much broke high school student with no job, so I don't really have enough to toss around at everything that needs some upgrading. Just the super essentials, which seem to be case, psu, card and ram, and then after that go freely. It seems like a good plan, but I could be horribly wrong :lol: