Post your setup!

On 6/13/2019 at 3:30 AM, BTGBullseye said:

FYI, the reason the sticks are shown as 2133 is because that's exactly what they are... That 3000 is what they are rated to overclock to, but they are natively a 2133 stick. (my 3200 sticks are native 2133 as well)

Your system isn't that far off from mine for performance, apart from you having a dedicated GPU already. (I'm having to save up for a Vega 56 for mine)

Thanks for the clarification! 

It is a great time to be a PC enthusiast. CPUs from both AMD and Intel are pretty damn good. RAM prices are back down and are even cheaper than before the price spikes begun. Even though GPUs have ramped up in price you can get used GPUs that still perform great from previous generations from excellent prices and APUs are competent as fuck. I love it. That Vega 56 will make your system an even stronger beast.

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

Yup. It's a good stepping stone to my goal of an RTX 2080ti... Only costs $240 right now for a decent new one. Could get a 64 for $300, but I definitely don't want the blower style. (too noisy)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

21 hours ago, BTGBullseye said:

Yup. It's a good stepping stone to my goal of an RTX 2080ti... Only costs $240 right now for a decent new one. Could get a 64 for $300, but I definitely don't want the blower style. (too noisy)

What is so demanding that you need a 2080ti for? the Vega 56 should allow you to run most games (that are not extremely demanding) at 1080p/144hz. I'd dare say you could even run a Vive easily with a Vega 56. 

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

It's not a question of "need"... I just want to be able to do real-time raytracing in the 2 games that I expect to get that will have it... Mechwarrior 5, and Cyberpunk 2077.

Well, considering I'm wanting to have high framerates at a lower price than $1000 as soon as possible, and because I actually have the money now, (got paid for housesitting for my sister) I have decided on a 5700 XT. Planning on getting it, and then at next paycheck getting the Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo II, because the stock blower is definitely not going to be as good, and the aftermarket cooler is only $40. (about what would be tacked on from a partner manufacturer for their aftermarket stuff)

This will effectively give me my first ever system that has a chance of being CPU-bound in a primarily GPU intensive game. (that will go away in ~6 months though, when I get a Ryzen 5 3600)

On 7/23/2019 at 1:35 AM, BTGBullseye said:

Well, considering I'm wanting to have high framerates at a lower price than $1000 as soon as possible, and because I actually have the money now, (got paid for housesitting for my sister) I have decided on a 5700 XT. Planning on getting it, and then at next paycheck getting the Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo II, because the stock blower is definitely not going to be as good, and the aftermarket cooler is only $40. (about what would be tacked on from a partner manufacturer for their aftermarket stuff)

This will effectively give me my first ever system that has a chance of being CPU-bound in a primarily GPU intensive game. (that will go away in ~6 months though, when I get a Ryzen 5 3600)

I've thought about getting one of those because of the noise. I have the Zotac 1070 Mini and the cooler is nothing to brag about. It gets to 70c with the fan at 70% when I play PUBG and it's a bit noisy. I cannot notice it with headphones on but I'd like a quieter system and to get lower temps to get a bit more life expectancy out of my card. I don't feel like overclocking it tbh. 

3rd gen ryzen looks friggin amazing. If I ever start streaming I will definetely switch to AMD and get one of those. For now my i5 8400 is being enough but if I decided to stream or do video work it would probably not do as well. 

The noise shouldn't really be a problem if you can get ahold of acoustic foam. Make a small muffler for the exhaust, and muffle the interior of the case, and you're good. As for it overheating, that's because the default profile has the fan locked to 2100RPM, (max is 4700 or so) so with the muffling it should be able to do 2600 easy without much issue... (and that will easily cool it to safe temps) Also undervolting helps a lot.

Since I've seen several reviews that actually test the fan noise, I can safely say it's NOT as bad as most reviewers make it out to be. If you're comfortable with a desk fan at low speeds anywhere in your room, the card shouldn't be an issue at all.

3rd Gen Ryzen is epic... The 9 is actually officially the best CPU on the planet right now. https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Ok, so I got my RX 5700 XT, and got it set up and going... Got a nice fan curve and undervolt going... And my NVMe decided to die. 3 months after purchase, and less than 2 months of use, and it's dead. Lesson learned, should stick to Mushkin.

HP doesn't have the serial or part number in their support site's warranty database, so I can't do anything about this failure until Monday at the earliest. (and even then, I'll have to call their phone system, because they ONLY have automated stuff on their website)

Right now I'm backing up my laptop's Mushkin SSD so I can use that as a temp drive, since I'm sure as hell not going to leave the other $1200 worth of parts idle just because HP can't make a decent NVMe drive.

Just got my 3700x up and running. But I will wait for 3rd party 5700 XT to replace my reference rx 480 (which I damaged a bit by mining while having it overclocked lol, but it still works fine if I underclock it a bit).

16 hours ago, Timo425 said:

Just got my 3700x up and running. But I will wait for 3rd party 5700 XT to replace my reference rx 480 (which I damaged a bit by mining while having it overclocked lol, but it still works fine if I underclock it a bit).

Niiiice. What did you upgrade from? that is a beastly CPU. 

9 hours ago, Luis said:

Niiiice. What did you upgrade from? that is a beastly CPU. 

I previously had an i5-6500, so it was a considerable jump. I felt like I couldn't get a better gpu without it considerably bottlenecking it.

5 hours ago, Timo425 said:

I previously had an i5-6500, so it was a considerable jump. I felt like I couldn't get a better gpu without it considerably bottlenecking it.

That is still a very solid CPU. I upgraded from my i5 4430 just because I wanted better minimum FPS on PUBG but I'd say I was comfortably using like 80 of my 1070's performance and was happily playing most of the games I like at more than 100 FPS. But yeah, with the i5-8400 the 1070 can stretch its legs a little bit more. I guess there would be a slight bottleneck with the i5 6500 but you'd still be able to play everything happily. But yeah, if you can get a better CPU, specially a 3rd gen Ryzen, why not? now you're set for the next 4 years or so. Maybe even more. 

And now my motherboard died... Looks like the VRMs on the left side overheated.

At least the motherboard and SSD are both well within their warranty period, so I can RMA them. Hopefully ASRock doesn't want me to pay shipping. (HP probly will, but it's not expensive for something that small and light)

On 7/31/2019 at 12:25 AM, Luis said:

That is still a very solid CPU. I upgraded from my i5 4430 just because I wanted better minimum FPS on PUBG but I'd say I was comfortably using like 80 of my 1070's performance and was happily playing most of the games I like at more than 100 FPS. But yeah, with the i5-8400 the 1070 can stretch its legs a little bit more. I guess there would be a slight bottleneck with the i5 6500 but you'd still be able to play everything happily. But yeah, if you can get a better CPU, specially a 3rd gen Ryzen, why not? now you're set for the next 4 years or so. Maybe even more. 

Not to mention that I use 2 monitors and have twitch or youtube playing on 2nd monitor while I play lol

Final update. (I hope)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/19569661

Replaced my GPU's thermal pads with Prolimatech PK-3 thermal paste. Took the temps down so far I was able to overclock it, and undervolt a lot less. Gained a lot of performance from the, which puts my GPU in the top 3% of 5700 XT GPUs. It's currently on par with the top-end of the overclocked RTX 2070 Super benchmarks. (on par with the RTX 2080's average, and the bottom end of the 2080 Ti benches)

On 8/31/2019 at 4:04 AM, BTGBullseye said:

Final update. (I hope)

Nope, have to update for my upgraded motherboard and RAM.

Got an ASRock X570M Pro4 motherboard, and 16GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600 @16-16-16-36.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/21500065

Worthwhile upgrade seeing as I was going to use the old stuff in my father's build, since there aren't really many μATX motherboards available for the AM4 chips, and I already had one of the less expensive ones. (so it would either be buying identical new stuff for my Dad, or get an upgrade for me)

On 11/7/2019 at 1:56 PM, RaTcHeT302 said:

final final update v2 2032

The last 4 numbers are the year, not a version number. ;)

14 hours ago, RaTcHeT302 said:

yeh, it wasn't a mistake

It was to try and limit the number of updates though. ;)

On 11/6/2019 at 5:12 AM, BTGBullseye said:

Got an ASRock

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee

I as well used to think that ASRock is a great combination of low price, good peripheral functionality and feature-rich BIOS, but their motherboards fail me so reliably that it crosses any and all boundaries of statistical uncertainty. I had to deal with five (all different models), and not a single one of them worked for more than a couple years. Last two of them failed one month after the warranty ran out. I swear, there are some engineering geniuses working at ASRock's Planned Obsolescence Department.

Come the full moon, the bat flies whose boiling blood shall stem the tide.