Long April Fool's Day Commentary

Felt cloth works great for sound dampening, and is very inexpensive. Heck, sound dampening cloth is basically a combination of felt and paper fibers...

If you want to get really solid anti-echo in addition, get some thin foam-rubber to put behind the felt.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

You know, your "sued by VALVe" joke almost cost you half of your below-average IQ fanbase. I checked Facepunch and someone actually started a thread mourning the loss of Accursed Farms, which was promptly locked and the creator was banned.

You could use egg cartons to soundproof the room just dont forget to take out the eggs

You know, your "sued by VALVe" joke almost cost you half of your below-average IQ fanbase. I checked Facepunch and someone actually started a thread mourning the loss of Accursed Farms, which was promptly locked and the creator was banned.

"Below-average" is an understatement. . .

Felt cloth works great for sound dampening, and is very inexpensive. Heck, sound dampening cloth is basically a combination of felt and paper fibers...

If you want to get really solid anti-echo in addition, get some thin foam-rubber to put behind the felt.

That might definitely be the easiest way. I could use some finishing nails in the corners and I doubt the landlord would notice. The problem with these eggcarton recommendations is I'm not sure of the best way to fasten them. I'm thinking staples wouldn't be very stable when moving it around to install it. The room is kind of small, but the ceiling is maybe 10 feet high, so I'm going to need a lot of egg cartons if I go that route.

Yeah that happens pretty much every April Fool's Day. I used to think I'd shed a certain portion of my fanbase each year, but I'm guessing these are the same people that signed the Left 4 Dead 2 and Modern Warfare boycotts.

I don't know how cheap it is, but the sound room at my school is lined with that bumpy foam-like mattress pad material and your ears feel like they need popping because the lack of echo in their messes with them. if that's cheap, that may work(god I wish I could remember the name of the brand.)

This stuff: http://www.economyfoamandfutons.com/futon/ProdImages/eggcratefoam-large.jpg

Retired Forum Moderator

I don't know how cheap it is, but the sound room at my school is lined with that bumpy foam-like mattress pad material and your ears feel like they need popping because the lack of echo in their messes with them. if that's cheap, that may work(god I wish I could remember the name of the brand.)

This stuff: http://www.economyfoamandfutons.com/futon/ProdImages/eggcratefoam-large.jpg

it called accoutic foam and they use that for hard cases for transporting weapons like pistols and for what i can find they cost like €30 for like 4 sheets of 1m x 1m

http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_takustik_noppenschaum_1030_4er_set.htm

this site is good because if ross you are in poland this could be delivered to you in 3 days is it's hosted in germany and you using the same currency then all you need is double sided tape and 3 or 4 of this 4 set and you got he whole room covered

but if you don't have the money use my idea I really don't have a echo with my mics i use

The problem with these eggcarton recommendations is I'm not sure of the best way to fasten them. I'm thinking staples wouldn't be very stable when moving it around to install it. The room is kind of small, but the ceiling is maybe 10 feet high, so I'm going to need a lot of egg cartons if I go that route.

I'm thinking perhaps you don't need to line up the walls of the entire room with whatever material you choose to use (egg cardboard boxes, acoustic foam, etc). Maybe building a small sound-proof box around your PC would be enough (I hope you are not claustrophobic), by attaching the material to large sheets of hard carton. That should provide enough structural integrity when positioning it. You have to be careful though, when using flammable materials in close proximity with electric equipment.

this site is good because if ross you are in poland this could be delivered to you in 3 days is it's hosted in germany and you using the same currency then all you need is double sided tape and 3 or 4 of this 4 set and you got he whole room covered

I don't think he's in Poland...

I bring you mortal danger and cookies. Not necessarily in that order.

http://www.youtube.com/jclc

it called accoutic foam and they use that for hard cases for transporting weapons like pistols and for what i can find they cost like €30 for like 4 sheets of 1m x 1m

but if you don't have the money use my idea I really don't have a echo with my mics i use

Pretty tempting. And they use ZLOTYS not Euros.

...but I'm guessing these are the same people that signed the Left 4 Dead 2 and Modern Warfare boycotts.

I signed those. They had very good points. Not that it had any effect really, but I didn't buy when the products came out. There's enough good games out there to have a code of ethics. :: shrug ::

Worst case, hang a large blanket over the whole system depending how much space you need for just sound. That'll likely be free and not start a fire while working well enough you can save up for the foam later on.

You lot are overengineering this, I think. Ross, try this, and see how much it affects things. Quick and dirty and if you have the time, resources, and desire to do something more elaborate, go for it, but: Get a couple of large, and preferably thick, blankets, and attach them to the ceiling. Tape, whatever. That is, attach one end, and let the rest hang down. Create a little 'tent', or 'booth', or whatever, for your recording area. If you still get echoes inside the recording area, take some towels, try letting them hang from above you (like the blankets, but not reaching all the way down), or maybe fix them as a layer of padding over the ceiling. Pad the wall(s) your computer is up against with towels, if necessary. I think letting towels dangle from the ceiling might attenuate enough but it's basically going to be trial and error.

Like I said, if you want to pursue some serious sound proofing, go for it, but I think this should work, use stuff you already have or can get without hassle (duct tape, blankets, towels, step ladder), and importantly, be fast. You don't necessarily need to sound proof the whole room, blankets will muffle sound waves whether they're attached to walls or hanging freely, and this way reduces the surface area you need. Covering all four walls and ceiling is going to be...well, I don't know what size the room is, aside from 'kind of small', and you probably don't need to cover ALL of it...but still, you're talking about a couple hundred square feet, easy.

If it works out, aside from fairly securely taping a few towels securely in place on the ceiling and wall, rig up a couple of frames you can attach the blankets to and stand up to form a little booth. Shove 'em up against the wall when you don't need the isolation.

Aaaand ninja'd slightly by ichthulu.

Pretty tempting. And they use ZLOTYS not Euros.

I've herd pillow forts or box forts are pretty sound proof, and hey you can make your badass pillow fort with plaster paris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nsiVi1Urbo

I signed those. They had very good points. Not that it had any effect really, but I didn't buy when the products came out. There's enough good games out there to have a code of ethics. :: shrug ::
Oh I have no problem with that. You're the one of the few who did it right then. And it's not the fact that it didn't make much of an impact. It's the fact that both of those petitions had a very large percentage of the people who signed them also buying and playing the games as soon as they came out. You couldn't ask for a better example of hypocrisy.

I remember seeing a post on garry.tv (the creator of Garry's Mod for those unaware), simply entitled 'Integrity', with this image: http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9729/fldaon.jpg

It made me laugh, but it was also kind of sad. I wonder how many people signed that boycott simply because they were hopping on the bandwagon of controversy, so to speak.

Also Ross, in your post isn't it supposed to be the 30th March rather than the 30th April?

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

Also Ross, in your post isn't it supposed to be the 30th March rather than the 30th April?

That would be the simplest explanation. The reality is much, much worse*

* Points for naming the movie.

I bring you mortal danger and cookies. Not necessarily in that order.

http://www.youtube.com/jclc

That Box Fort thing appeared to be surprisingly effective and, even better, free.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."