Anime Thread

Sign in to follow this  

So my friends and I are going to MAGfest in 2016 and I plan on doing a cosplay of some sort. My favorite currently is this guy, Andou Jurai, from the series "Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de" (When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace in USA):

vlcsnap-2014-10-06-17h35m04s173.png

Thing is, that blue flame in his hand is pretty darn important and I'm trying to come up with ways to get that effect that there's a flame in my hand without, you know, actually lighting my hand on fire. Any suggestions?

Life is just a time trial; it's all about how many happy points you can earn in a set period of time

Thing is, that blue flame in his hand is pretty darn important and I'm trying to come up with ways to get that effect that there's a flame in my hand without, you know, actually lighting my hand on fire. Any suggestions?

Cherenkov radiation will do it.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

RWBY

If you ever saw the Haloid or Dead Fanatsy series of animated fight sequences, this is an anime by the same guy and funded by Rooster Teeth. Tragically, the creator (Monty Oum) passed away recently :( but the company announced that the series will continue.

Macross Delta trailer:

GMKiLsbWiHY

didn't make me feel anything, CG felt pretty tacky most of the time too.

is macross some kind of idol franchise disguised as a mecha franchise or what

because whenever macross shows up, that's what it seems like to me

American Professional Skateboarder

I think, and I could be wrong here, it was because of how often you are/were posting.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Topics merged.

@Riley: Some of the old threads you revived, you did so with posts that didn't really warrant reviving the topic, which is what you were asked to stop. Reviving this thread woulda been fine this time because it would have been a relevant revival. ;)

Retired Forum Moderator

So... I'm going to play the "awkward guy" card and ask: Is manga a relevant topic in this thread? I searched for a "Manga Thread" and did not find one but there are mentions of mangas in this thread so I'm going to assume it's okay?) Is that even awkward? I don't know. Trying new things is scary and weird, bla bla bla stereotypical stuff.

See, I'm sort of "new" to this type of stuff (I've read internet comics before and never watched an anime, I've tried to stay away from the "society taboos") and sort-of-kind-of intimidated by it in the way I'm intimidated by shows like The Vampire Diaries. It's something I can never imagine myself watching. I digress. I recently found a website where you can read mangas(while also encouraging you to support the writers, so it is inherently a free-to-read website, but they have to get permissions or something ) and I've spent the last 2 days reading a few. Now, as I said, I'm new to this stuff and, despite the content of the mangas (of the ones I decided to explore, they were all yuri highschool-romance storylines, which doesn't bother me a lot since I'm not really a prude but only one of was *really* centered around it as a plot-point, aka constant sex, also as weird as it is, and the fact that I'm still kind of young, reading the teenage / young adult romance stories is pretty interesting, but I'm not going to go in depth in case I come off as a weirdo, I just happened to have read these ones) I have read so far on the website, I can't say I'm having a bad time. First off, mangas are pretty fun to read from what I've experienced so far. I have one initial experience with "mangas" and that was when I went to a local library with a friend and ended up reading a manga about this curiosity shop and a guy that ends up having to work there to pay off a debt to a demon or spirit or something like that. I forget what it's called. I digress, though. Some of the ones I have read so far aren't fully complete/uploaded(one of them is from 2012 and it's missing a chunk from what I understand, but it's listed as ongoing, like some of the others I couldn't finish). Is there a place I can buy/read mangas online? I would be embarrassed to personally buy them or have them be physical noticeable. Yes, I'm that ashamed of my likes/dislikes.

Also, the website has Fairy Tale. I have seen the anime albeit I heard it's a legitimately good anime that can be enjoyed by anyone(or something like that...?) but they canceled it or something? I didn't even know there was anime, but apparently anime -> manga and vice versa is pretty common. AFAIK, Fairy Tale isn't an anime with adult content, so I'm pretty sure the website I have access to isn't, like, a manga adult website or anything like that. So, that's good. I guess.

Also, absolutely 100% sure I'm going to embarrass myself somehow. For example, by me saying I'm "young", I mean I'm 19(20 in 7 days), which I consider as a young adult in a sense. Anyone is allowed to disagree but I wanted to clear this up so as to not seem like a child or anything.

If somehow my topic is iffy in terms of the rules (I think I have skimmed over the rules thread like 10 times so far just to make sure), then I apologize. I'm making sure to message a mod beforehand.

TL;DR Is somewhere you can buy / read mangas online? I, to be honest, would be embarrassed to walk into a store and buy some, or even to have it be seen by my family. They would think it is *very* weird.

So... I'm going to play the "awkward guy" card and ask: Is manga a relevant topic in this thread? I searched for a "Manga Thread" and did not find one but there are mentions of mangas in this thread so I'm going to assume it's okay?) Is that even awkward? I don't know. Trying new things is scary and weird, bla bla bla stereotypical stuff.

Manga and anime are so similar that they should be the same genre, even if some seem to think they aren't. Manga is essentially the printed version of anime.

TL;DR Is somewhere you can buy / read mangas online? I, to be honest, would be embarrassed to walk into a store and buy some, or even to have it be seen by my family. They would think it is *very* weird.

Why be embarrassed? Just tell them you wanted to see what all the hype was about mangas, and do it. If they say it looks weird, just agree, but say it's research. If you like it, good for you. If you don't, then you're only out the cost of one book. Bear in mind that manga is a right-to-left format, unless it has been altered.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Manga and anime are so similar that they should be the same genre, even if some seem to think they aren't. Manga is essentially the printed version of anime.

Why be embarrassed? Just tell them you wanted to see what all the hype was about mangas, and do it. If they say it looks weird, just agree, but say it's research. If you like it, good for you. If you don't, then you're only out the cost of one book. Bear in mind that manga is a right-to-left format, unless it has been altered.

Yeah, that manga I mentioned I read was the first time I found out about that. Anyways, I didn't want to necessarily get into it but... It's mostly a culture thing? I'm just a shy and admittedly ashamed person, especially because the people that I know(even if it is a small number, which makes me sort of lucky) would not respond nicely to it. If there is any kind of online source, I feel like that would be more convenient for me.

Aaanyways, just inquiring for my purely instinctual interest. I feel like I would like them since they are, excuse my ignorance if not, basically the eastern form of comic books(which I haven't read either, hehe)?

I haven't read any in a while partly because I read all of what I was interested and partly because my interest in it has waned over the years. But I use http://www.mangareader.net/

I used to use another site called MangaFox but that site's become such a mess I gave up on it. At first it had one of the best search by genre features of all the sites I used but then they started region locking massive amounts of manga(and COMPLETELY ignoring users asking what that was about. Literally not a single word.) and now I can't even get the site to load without going to a terrible mobile layout. I used to just use MangaFox to find something interesting then go to Reader to read it but now that the site has become incredibly user unfriendly I'm done with them. :S

But yes MangaReader will probably be your best bet for basically everything.

I used to go to a good site for anime as well but I've stopped going there after all of their ads became malware redirects. I mean, you could use adblock but just knowing that they're snooping to that level means I'm not gonna link them.

Retired Forum Moderator

I haven't read any in a while partly because I read all of what I was interested and partly because my interest in it has waned over the years. But I use http://www.mangareader.net/

I used to use another site called MangaFox but that site's become such a mess I gave up on it. At first it had one of the best search by genre features of all the sites I used but then they started region locking massive amounts of manga(and COMPLETELY ignoring users asking what that was about. Literally not a single word.) and now I can't even get the site to load without going to a terrible mobile layout. I used to just use MangaFox to find something interesting then go to Reader to read it but now that the site has become incredibly user unfriendly I'm done with them. :S

But yes MangaReader will probably be your best bet for basically everything.

I used to go to a good site for anime as well but I've stopped going there after all of their ads became malware redirects. I mean, you could use adblock but just knowing that they're snooping to that level means I'm not gonna link them.

Well, what a coincidence, possibly. The website I (somehow, and hilariously) found is called MangaNeed which, I think, is "hosted" by MangaFox or something like that? It has a note about permissions or whatever at the bottom of every single manga page, so yeah.

Anyways, thanks for the link. I'll check it out. Give me something to do when I get bored. Honestly, I like mobile(my phone specifically) more for reading things because it's much more compact, from what I've experienced. Also easy to zoom in/out.

I recently got Cowboy Bebop back in August or September, cant remember when, all I know is I was familiar with the name, didnt ever see it before, I thought I was in for a treat and I was, I love the show, I feel like it sucks that it ended, I mean the funniest character has to be Ed, but no one will be able to beat me at cosplaying as Spike honestly, and I can say I am obsessed with the show, I kinda want to get Samurai Champloo on DVD and get the complete series for Evangelion, I have only seen a few clips from Evangelion, and I know I can say I like it enough to where I want to watch it all, and watch the rebuild films, and ohh yeah I also want to check out Air Gear and One Piece, but I know theres other animes I want to see for some of the cosplay factor, I know so many chicks who actually are crazy about a few that I kind of want to watch the shows to see if I may like them myself and see if I may find a character to cosplay as or not, who knows...

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

Evangelion? Get ready for the mindfuckest of mindfucks. I was telling a friend, who's not big on anime, that I had received a Death Note for Christmas. I began explaining to him what a Death Note was, and what the anime was about, with the only spoiler-y thing that I told him was how Kira kills Lind L. Taylor, thinking it's the real L, and how Kira fell into L's trap by doing that. (Seeing as this happens on the 2nd episode, I didn't think it a big spoiler moment). The look on his face when he was realizing just how much of a genius L is (from what I was describing to him), was priceless P is for priceless, the look upon your faces. I was also describing a couple other moments (without spoilers), and I've convinced myself to watch it for the third time. (I still plan on watching FullMetal Alchemist for the 2nd time). My friend had only one question when I was finished: "Is it on Netflix?".

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

FullMetal Alchemist is the only anime I've ever been interested in actually watching. I remember flipping through TV channels when I was younger and I saw a glimpse of it. The impression I got is that it has a Western-ish feel to it. I watched like 10 minutes of it, so I can't really talk at all but the idea of having a giant robot-like guy as your robo-bro seems pretty cool. That, and it's pretty action packed, right?

This topic is for RWBY fans (if there are any here aside me) and anyone willing to discuss it.

I know, there is topic for anime, but since many people dont consider it one, well, deal with it.

But to newcomers who might be interested- its anime-styled (at least) animated show made by Rooster Teeth (i.e people who make Red vs Blue). It was created by Monty Oum (who died last year). Its living on, however, and keeps getting better with volume 3 currently ongoing (new episode is released each week in sunday (for public that is. for fresh one, you can go to their site, as youtube gets week old episodes).

Series focuses on team RWBY- team of huntresses (best warriors of the best) in training in Beacon, one of elite combat schools in Remnant (name of world RWBY takes place in). And Remnant.. well, its a dark world, filled with creatures of Grimm. These are creatures, who try to destroy humans and their creations.

So whats good about it? Soundtrack (Jeff Williams as author, Casey Lee Williams as singer) is just fantastic and diverse. Then combat scenes- they are too great (though in vol 3, some scenes are bit less impressive, probably caused by passing of Monty, who was also one of lead animators. Still, vol 3, ep 6 had to my knowledge his last fight scene- published few weeks ago). Also, the overall lore created is so far good and supported by World of Remnant series- after every 3 episodes, there is WoR episode with additional info about Remnant. It is also riddled with hints that can throw you off of real scent or reveal it to you in a way you cannot know for sure. For people who like conspiracy theories, i do reveal this much: there is at least one big one. Also, it has girl with a giant scythe as main character.

What may be not so good for first time viewer? well.. first volume can be bit of a grind, cliche-ish to watch (depends on your taste). Also, big reveals until vol 3 havent been that big reveals. Still, already mentioned vol 3 ep 6 apparently marked for "end of the beginning", i.e change of tone. Also, as said, some hints early on turn to be big ones later on.

But trailers:

Red (Ruby Rose) trailer:

pYW2GmHB5xs

White (Weiss Schnee) trailer:

Vt9vl8iAN5Q

Black (Blake Belladonna) trailer:

ImKCt7BD4U4

Yellow (Yang Xiao Long) trailer:

QCw_aAS7vWI

Oh and it has game already based on it. early access

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"