Anime Thread

Sign in to follow this  

I mean, if underaged catgirl harems are your thing, sure

I personally think it's fucking awful

Watched the first season of the Legend of K(wh)orra, and it is an absolute abomination that destroys everything awesome about The Last Airbender. The fact that it has 2/3 of the original writers just makes it even worse.

A shamfu disprey! I'm gonna rewatch AVATAR: The Last Airbender again.

Korra was a splendid show from my perspective. I'm honestly not sure if you said that just to provoke people because most everybody agrees it's a god damned masterpiece of a show.

It's darker than Airbender, for sure, but part of that is that it grew with its audience. The kids who watched Airbender as it was being made then watched Korra as young adults, now aware of the fine details and harsh realities of the world.

No, Korra isn't a masterpice:

it's a shitshow that undermines everything that made the original show good, from the characters to the world, to the avatar itself.

I find it incredibly hard to believe that anyone can think it's a good show, considering how much it ruins the past in such a bastardisation that puts The Last Jedi to shame. Korra herself is a MASSIVE Mary-Sue (like WORSE than Rey from the Sequel trillogy) that has everything done for her by other people and acts like a complete cunt a lot of the time, and will never be as human or badass as Ang. And it isn't "darker than airbender" if anything it's more childish and stupid if anything from the generic characters to the boring setting, to the fact that even the main "villain" doesn't make any sense.

This dude I know made an 8 part video series on the topic, and he articulates my thoughts on it better than I can

https://www.youtube.com/watch?start=197&v=bmKaQqinWKY

Otherwise: I've gotten up to near the end of Book 1 of the Last Airbender, still a masterpiece after all this time.

Word of advice, especially since you're going to Uni soon and will have to take writing courses. Don't state opinions as though they're facts. It makes you come off as an asshole and is a logical fallacy, especially when the statement is very strongly worded.

I think Korra was a fantastic show, as do a large majority of people I know.

Change of subject: I started watching Children of the Whales, first episode had a good setup and the show concept leaves a lot of space for expansion and exploration. Excited to see where it goes.

Been on anime binge last year or so short summary of impressions in order of when i watched it

Fairy Tail. fantastic anime, i love the positive attitude mixed with dark aspects and great fight scenes. Art style and music are amasing! "Lightning Flame Dragon roar" and its themes are one of most unique and awesome music pieces i've heard. Has few anime tropes i dislike, but overall, one of my favourites if not THE favourite.

GATE: the JSDF fought there. Weakest i watched, but its often so dumb its funny, so at least good entertainment. Its fanfiction roots were visible from start though. Still, it has interesting concept (modern military vs fantasy medieval in realistic fashion) and provided good action scenes. Good visuals & animation, music is more forgettable.

Attack on Titan. Definetly lives up to the hype. I like the dark themes and how it portrays threat of titans, it has good music, good visuals and animation. Story is also ok, although i'd argue that while story started off strong, by now (and im including manga story to it too) it actually has generated few plotholes. Still, if it keeps being as entertaining, then who cares about plotholes? i dont.

My Hero Academia. While it started off weak in episode or two, it quickly grew really good in terms of story. The animation and visuals are gorgeous, the story is more complex than i first tought, but still uplifting. Season 3 so far has also been a blast to watch, with everything constantly improving.

Fullmetal Alchemist (2003). One of best animes, even though after it caught up with manga, it suddenly got several fanfiction tropes. Now, suprisingly enough this didnt make it worse by any means. Although it did cause story to go totally different direction and turned story lot darker. It was intriguing and good, done well enough that i didnt start to think about obvious plotholes and lackings until after i finished it. Its one significant shortcoming is that it requires you to watch movie if you want to finish story. Now, movie isnt bad, but it isnt nearly on FMA level too.

There is one significant thing this did far better than Brotherhood did and that was to more thorougly introduce characters and make you like them before it caught up with manga. So if you ever watch FMA, i reccommend watching first ~25-26 episodes of 03 anime then switch to Brotherhood and watch from start.

Visuals and animation, considering its made in 2003, are really good. I cant remember music, but i do know many prefer english dub over japanese in this one (me, im always dub over sub- i prefer to not miss any plot or visuals over reading)

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Absolutely one of my favourites- great story, great music, great visuals and animation. Homonculi are made far better here (although there is slight question regarding some), also some new characters are fantastic. Only downside i can really find is that they slipped over the chapters 2003 anime managed to adapt from manga, thus lessening emotional backlash significantly for some important events. Again, this is why i reccommended to watch ~25-26 episodes from original before watching this (its not copy paste and has some differences so you shouldnt feel too annoyed seeing similar events, sides brotherhood covers same episodes in ~10 or so)

Here's a list of a few that came to mind and made a lasting impression on me:

Penguin Drum: An Avant Garde series ripping off Pink Floyd The Wall and Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory. Hella forced in most parts, but has some genuinely funny bits. So-so.

Kaiji: Some of the best tension in any show, ever. Not so great the second time through though. Also, season two has a very solid opening but you can definitely feel the padding towards the end.

Ghost in the Shell SAC: I'd reccomend this to anyone who enjoyed the first Deus Ex film. Unlike it's big movie counter part, this series focuses less on ham-fisted philosophy and more on the social consequences of living in a futuristic, hyper connected world, which is still largely believable. And government conspiracies.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes: This is like the first of the Foundation novel was combined with War and Peace and Star Trek: The Next Generation. Definitely a slow burn, but I think it's worth it if you're into military and political science fiction... in space. But really, the selling point of this series is that almost non of the characters are sociopaths, despite the premise.

Code Geass: This might be Japan's equivalent of the Sistine Chapel. It's not perfect, but the scope and depth of the of the story they pulled off is beyond remarkable. It's amazing, really, and it's the type of anime that makes you feel a deep inner shame for America every time an above-average Marvel flick comes out and gets lauded as some kind of corner stone of culture. Goes without saying, but I believe that Code Geass stands head-and-shoulders above any fantasy film series that Hollywood has produced in the past 30 years.

Hunter X Hunter: Well, what can I say about this series, besides that it's the greatest thing I've ever watched/read/listened to, whatever. It doesn't excel in any particular category; others have better world-building, better character development, better soundtrack, more twists in the story (arguably ), etc. But what HxH does well is take the classic blue-print of the Hero's Journey and completely turn it on it's head, so much so that I had to re-evaluate my own personal set of morals and ethics by the end of it. No other work of fiction did that for me, and I'm the type of soulless bug-man that actually enjoyed slogging through all the "distinguished" novels in English class. But even putting all that shit aside, Hxh would still make this list due to its excellent subversion of the Shounen genre. Greatest of all time. Game of the Year.

few updates:

One Punch man: honestly, positive suprise and amusing to watch... And while i want 2nd season, at moment i feel like thats maximum i honestly would care about this show. See, its fun, but it relies bit too much on novelty value of it.

Sword Art Online. This is one of animes i've been considering to watch for a while now, however not really getting into until, well, now. I can easily see how this is a show that you either hate or love, i myself fall in "love" category.

So first, downsides: rough and disjointed first episodes, plus some disturbing elements after game switches (you know when you see them). Can also feel it focuses less on combat than people might want.

Upsides: extremely interesting concept and its highly likely games like SAO (in-anime game with same name) are only matter of time when they become available (although year suggested is way too optimistic), story development (i prefer inter-character stories) after it finally figures out direction it goes to, good animation and art style, good music and one of best anime couples i've seen. Or scratch that, one of best fictional ones

I've been watching K-On at a snail's pace over the past few months. Weeks may pass between watching episodes.

If I had an aircraft, I would put a patch of Mugi on the side, and name the plane "Piece of Cake".

Posted (edited)
On 10/1/2018 at 1:03 PM, Meelis13 said:

few updates:

One Punch man: honestly, positive suprise and amusing to watch... And while i want 2nd season, at moment i feel like thats maximum i honestly would care about this show. See, its fun, but it relies bit too much on novelty value of it.

Sword Art Online. This is one of animes i've been considering to watch for a while now, however not really getting into until, well, now. I can easily see how this is a show that you either hate or love, i myself fall in "love" category.

So first, downsides: rough and disjointed first episodes, plus some disturbing elements after game switches (you know when you see them). Can also feel it focuses less on combat than people might want.

Upsides: extremely interesting concept and its highly likely games like SAO (in-anime game with same name) are only matter of time when they become available (although year suggested is way too optimistic), story development (i prefer inter-character stories) after it finally figures out direction it goes to, good animation and art style, good music and one of best anime couples i've seen. Or scratch that, one of best fictional ones

I love OPM and have just been following the manga. Best superman story ever.

SAO, is frustrating, because there are elements that have potential that are never used well. The power-couple they set up is good, but then subsequent seasons totally abuse and ruin it.

Edited by Wwen

On 7/26/2019 at 5:06 PM, Wwen said:

SAO, is frustrating, because there are elements that have potential that are never used well. The power-couple they set up is good, but then subsequent seasons totally abuse and ruin it.

In my opinion "potential" alone is worth pretty much nothing as good writing and direction make show much better than cool idea ever will. And anime that relay only on cool idea and then fail to even to expand on this idea is something we see way too often.

Posted (edited)

I'm usually not one to watch anime, but I might as well talk about F-Zero here.

F-Zero: Falcon Densetsu (also known as F-Zero: GP Legend) is enjoyable - or at least, it was for me. It's basically a kid's show and I'd probably advise against checking it out unless you're into that sort of thing or you like F-Zero in the first place. There are some darker elements to it and it gets a little deeper near the end, but most of the episodes are character/villain of the week type deals.

The English dub ran for like 15 episodes before being canceled but you shouldn't really bother with it. The original version had 51 episodes, with an actual conclusion on the 51st instead of just some sort of abrupt cancellation/cliff-hanger deal to it. There was the possibility of another season from the epilogue but absolutely nothing has come from the anime beyond two tie-in games, F-Zero: GP Legend (nice name) which is about the events that take place in the show and F-Zero: Climax, which doesn't do much to continue the plot from what I know.

You can watch the entire series on YouTube if you want - the channel "MistNinjaJulian" has uploaded all episodes and provided a translation via YouTube's subtitles. They're not the automatically generated kind.

Also, for being about F-Zero, the races are kinda slow. Like, compared to gameplay, abysmally slow.

Falcon is pretty cool in it, though. That's all I really needed out of it. There are plenty of episodes dedicated to the other F-Zero Pilots, along with some for characters introduced by the show, like Lucy Liberty, Lisa Brilliant and Miss Killer (her real name is a big spoiler). I appreciated some episodes more than others - the episode on Silver Neelsen, known as Iron Man Neelsen in the show was fun because I love that pilot and I think their portrayal of him was all right. The episode about James McCloud was also pretty decent, in my opinion.

It's important to note the anime is not the same universe as the mainline games. Its universe is only used for the tie-in games mentioned earlier.

Edited by Mode 7