Anime Thread

Sign in to follow this  

I mean, if underaged catgirl harems are your thing, sure

I personally think it's fucking awful

the name's riley

I saw AICO recently. It was pretty darn tootin' groovy. Nothing amazing or groundbreaking, but a solid show nonetheless.

Life is just a time trial; it's all about how many happy points you can earn in a set period of time

Watched the first season of the Legend of K(wh)orra, and it is an absolute abomination that destroys everything awesome about The Last Airbender. The fact that it has 2/3 of the original writers just makes it even worse.

A shamfu disprey! I'm gonna rewatch AVATAR: The Last Airbender again.

Non Nobis Domine, Non Nobis, Sed Nomine, tuo da Glorium

Korra was a splendid show from my perspective. I'm honestly not sure if you said that just to provoke people because most everybody agrees it's a god damned masterpiece of a show.

It's darker than Airbender, for sure, but part of that is that it grew with its audience. The kids who watched Airbender as it was being made then watched Korra as young adults, now aware of the fine details and harsh realities of the world.

Life is just a time trial; it's all about how many happy points you can earn in a set period of time

No, Korra isn't a masterpice:

it's a shitshow that undermines everything that made the original show good, from the characters to the world, to the avatar itself.

I find it incredibly hard to believe that anyone can think it's a good show, considering how much it ruins the past in such a bastardisation that puts The Last Jedi to shame. Korra herself is a MASSIVE Mary-Sue (like WORSE than Rey from the Sequel trillogy) that has everything done for her by other people and acts like a complete cunt a lot of the time, and will never be as human or badass as Ang. And it isn't "darker than airbender" if anything it's more childish and stupid if anything from the generic characters to the boring setting, to the fact that even the main "villain" doesn't make any sense.

This dude I know made an 8 part video series on the topic, and he articulates my thoughts on it better than I can

https://www.youtube.com/watch?start=197&v=bmKaQqinWKY

Otherwise: I've gotten up to near the end of Book 1 of the Last Airbender, still a masterpiece after all this time.

Non Nobis Domine, Non Nobis, Sed Nomine, tuo da Glorium

Word of advice, especially since you're going to Uni soon and will have to take writing courses. Don't state opinions as though they're facts. It makes you come off as an asshole and is a logical fallacy, especially when the statement is very strongly worded.

I think Korra was a fantastic show, as do a large majority of people I know.

Change of subject: I started watching Children of the Whales, first episode had a good setup and the show concept leaves a lot of space for expansion and exploration. Excited to see where it goes.

Been on anime binge last year or so short summary of impressions in order of when i watched it

Fairy Tail. fantastic anime, i love the positive attitude mixed with dark aspects and great fight scenes. Art style and music are amasing! "Lightning Flame Dragon roar" and its themes are one of most unique and awesome music pieces i've heard. Has few anime tropes i dislike, but overall, one of my favourites if not THE favourite.

GATE: the JSDF fought there. Weakest i watched, but its often so dumb its funny, so at least good entertainment. Its fanfiction roots were visible from start though. Still, it has interesting concept (modern military vs fantasy medieval in realistic fashion) and provided good action scenes. Good visuals & animation, music is more forgettable.

Attack on Titan. Definetly lives up to the hype. I like the dark themes and how it portrays threat of titans, it has good music, good visuals and animation. Story is also ok, although i'd argue that while story started off strong, by now (and im including manga story to it too) it actually has generated few plotholes. Still, if it keeps being as entertaining, then who cares about plotholes? i dont.

My Hero Academia. While it started off weak in episode or two, it quickly grew really good in terms of story. The animation and visuals are gorgeous, the story is more complex than i first tought, but still uplifting. Season 3 so far has also been a blast to watch, with everything constantly improving.

Fullmetal Alchemist (2003). One of best animes, even though after it caught up with manga, it suddenly got several fanfiction tropes. Now, suprisingly enough this didnt make it worse by any means. Although it did cause story to go totally different direction and turned story lot darker. It was intriguing and good, done well enough that i didnt start to think about obvious plotholes and lackings until after i finished it. Its one significant shortcoming is that it requires you to watch movie if you want to finish story. Now, movie isnt bad, but it isnt nearly on FMA level too.

There is one significant thing this did far better than Brotherhood did and that was to more thorougly introduce characters and make you like them before it caught up with manga. So if you ever watch FMA, i reccommend watching first ~25-26 episodes of 03 anime then switch to Brotherhood and watch from start.

Visuals and animation, considering its made in 2003, are really good. I cant remember music, but i do know many prefer english dub over japanese in this one (me, im always dub over sub- i prefer to not miss any plot or visuals over reading)

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Absolutely one of my favourites- great story, great music, great visuals and animation. Homonculi are made far better here (although there is slight question regarding some), also some new characters are fantastic. Only downside i can really find is that they slipped over the chapters 2003 anime managed to adapt from manga, thus lessening emotional backlash significantly for some important events. Again, this is why i reccommended to watch ~25-26 episodes from original before watching this (its not copy paste and has some differences so you shouldnt feel too annoyed seeing similar events, sides brotherhood covers same episodes in ~10 or so)

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

Here's a list of a few that came to mind and made a lasting impression on me:

Penguin Drum: An Avant Garde series ripping off Pink Floyd The Wall and Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory. Hella forced in most parts, but has some genuinely funny bits. So-so.

Kaiji: Some of the best tension in any show, ever. Not so great the second time through though. Also, season two has a very solid opening but you can definitely feel the padding towards the end.

Ghost in the Shell SAC: I'd reccomend this to anyone who enjoyed the first Deus Ex film. Unlike it's big movie counter part, this series focuses less on ham-fisted philosophy and more on the social consequences of living in a futuristic, hyper connected world, which is still largely believable. And government conspiracies.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes: This is like the first of the Foundation novel was combined with War and Peace and Star Trek: The Next Generation. Definitely a slow burn, but I think it's worth it if you're into military and political science fiction... in space. But really, the selling point of this series is that almost non of the characters are sociopaths, despite the premise.

Code Geass: This might be Japan's equivalent of the Sistine Chapel. It's not perfect, but the scope and depth of the of the story they pulled off is beyond remarkable. It's amazing, really, and it's the type of anime that makes you feel a deep inner shame for America every time an above-average Marvel flick comes out and gets lauded as some kind of corner stone of culture. Goes without saying, but I believe that Code Geass stands head-and-shoulders above any fantasy film series that Hollywood has produced in the past 30 years.

Hunter X Hunter: Well, what can I say about this series, besides that it's the greatest thing I've ever watched/read/listened to, whatever. It doesn't excel in any particular category; others have better world-building, better character development, better soundtrack, more twists in the story (arguably ), etc. But what HxH does well is take the classic blue-print of the Hero's Journey and completely turn it on it's head, so much so that I had to re-evaluate my own personal set of morals and ethics by the end of it. No other work of fiction did that for me, and I'm the type of soulless bug-man that actually enjoyed slogging through all the "distinguished" novels in English class. But even putting all that shit aside, Hxh would still make this list due to its excellent subversion of the Shounen genre. Greatest of all time. Game of the Year.

"Fleet Intelligence Coming Online"

few updates:

One Punch man: honestly, positive suprise and amusing to watch... And while i want 2nd season, at moment i feel like thats maximum i honestly would care about this show. See, its fun, but it relies bit too much on novelty value of it.

Sword Art Online. This is one of animes i've been considering to watch for a while now, however not really getting into until, well, now. I can easily see how this is a show that you either hate or love, i myself fall in "love" category.

So first, downsides: rough and disjointed first episodes, plus some disturbing elements after game switches (you know when you see them). Can also feel it focuses less on combat than people might want.

Upsides: extremely interesting concept and its highly likely games like SAO (in-anime game with same name) are only matter of time when they become available (although year suggested is way too optimistic), story development (i prefer inter-character stories) after it finally figures out direction it goes to, good animation and art style, good music and one of best anime couples i've seen. Or scratch that, one of best fictional ones

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

I've been watching K-On at a snail's pace over the past few months. Weeks may pass between watching episodes.

If I had an aircraft, I would put a patch of Mugi on the side, and name the plane "Piece of Cake".

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

On 10/1/2018 at 1:03 PM, Meelis13 said:

few updates:

One Punch man: honestly, positive suprise and amusing to watch... And while i want 2nd season, at moment i feel like thats maximum i honestly would care about this show. See, its fun, but it relies bit too much on novelty value of it.

Sword Art Online. This is one of animes i've been considering to watch for a while now, however not really getting into until, well, now. I can easily see how this is a show that you either hate or love, i myself fall in "love" category.

So first, downsides: rough and disjointed first episodes, plus some disturbing elements after game switches (you know when you see them). Can also feel it focuses less on combat than people might want.

Upsides: extremely interesting concept and its highly likely games like SAO (in-anime game with same name) are only matter of time when they become available (although year suggested is way too optimistic), story development (i prefer inter-character stories) after it finally figures out direction it goes to, good animation and art style, good music and one of best anime couples i've seen. Or scratch that, one of best fictional ones

I love OPM and have just been following the manga. Best superman story ever.

SAO, is frustrating, because there are elements that have potential that are never used well. The power-couple they set up is good, but then subsequent seasons totally abuse and ruin it.

Edited by Wwen (see edit history)

On 7/26/2019 at 5:06 PM, Wwen said:

SAO, is frustrating, because there are elements that have potential that are never used well. The power-couple they set up is good, but then subsequent seasons totally abuse and ruin it.

In my opinion "potential" alone is worth pretty much nothing as good writing and direction make show much better than cool idea ever will. And anime that relay only on cool idea and then fail to even to expand on this idea is something we see way too often.

it’s ranked among the top 10 anime of all time, and if you talk about the mega series, it will be right up there with Naruto, One Piece, etc.

But, Hunter X Hunter is not a well known anime. It’s fan base consists of a very loyal but limited number of people. Why is that? Let me explain it to you.

When you talk about Naruto, or Dragon Ball Z, you immediately think chakra or Super Saiyan aura or something like that. Every anime universe has its own version of energy or chi or whatever that the main characters use to power up and strengthen their attacks.

Couple this out with a good storyline, and some juicy anime fights, you’ve got a great watch on your hands. Fights between characters to protect loved ones, to protect their dreams and goals, fights to protect the world from the clutches of evil.

The funny thing is, if you look at these fights, it’s mostly brawn and no brain. And that’s completely fine. What’s not to love about Goku and Brolly going all out in the middle of an arctic wasteland and changing the whole geography as they warm up and get into the fight. All that’s fine. Really good watch, really enjoyable.

However, such fights usually come with the assumption that the stronger character will win, the one with more sheer strength. Rarely do we see an anime character win a complete fight based on sheer intelligence. In how many mega series have you come across a scenario where Naruto, or Luffy beats a guy by just outsmarting him and not fighting at all? That kind of stuff doesn’t happen.

This is why Hunter X Hunter is different from other anime. The chakra/energy in this universe is called Nen. Only difference is the characters who can use Nen come as people who have very specific abilities.

There’s Neferpitou, a dangerous and sinister cat-human who appears in the fifth season and her only power is to control puppets. She can control the bodies of the victims she kills and make them do their will.

There’s Hisoka, the eccentric clown who’s sole purpose in life is to fight strong people. He kills those who he deems unworthy, and lets the people who have the potential to grow stronger live. His Nen power is basically that of bubble gum. His Nen is elastic and sticky, and he uses that to his advantage. It’s called ‘Bungee Gum’.

There’s the evil Chimera Ant king who appears in season 5, a character that looks to be inspired from a cross between Mewtwo and Freiza and his Nen power is that his Nen grows stronger with the Nen of each human he eats alive. The stronger the person he consumes, the stronger he becomes.

Here’s The Bomber in the Greed Island arc who’s power is similar to Bakugo from My Hero Academia. He can cause explosions from his hands. So as it appears, every person has a well defined power, and one power does not have a clear advantage over another. It simply depends of how you use it.

In Hunter X Hunter, every fight is an intellectual one. Every fight requires planning, every fight requires strategy. The fight is more about how much a character can think on the spot, rather than how strong he was before he stepped into the ring. Rarely is there a fight where Gon or Killua lose a fight because of their lack of sheer strength and told come back when they’re stronger. Scenes like that do happen and the main characters do hit roadblocks, but it’s only to train them in a specific or new way, or to teach them a special kind of Nen they had not learned before.

The story mostly revolves around Gon, a young boy who becomes a Hunter in order to follow his father’s footsteps. His aim is to meet his father someday, who is revealed to be one of the most talented Hunters on the planet. The other main character is Killua. He hails from a family of assassins and he has prodigy like fighting abilities. However, he decides to give up being an assassin and through a struggle leaves his former life to become a Hunter with Gon. The two characters are best friends, and the series is mostly about the bond between Gon and Killua than anything else.

There’s also Kurapika, who’s aim in life is to avenge the murder of his clan. The Kurta clan was wiped out by an infamous group of mercenaries called the Phantom Troupe, also nicknamed ‘The Spider’. That’s because every member of the troupe was a spider tattoo on their body with a corresponding number on it.

There’s also Leorio, who’s aim in life is to become a doctor after he passes the Hunter exam, but a lot of him is not shown in the series, and he’s not an important character.

Every episode is rich in content and packed with events. The character development is exceptional as you can literally see the main characters overcome their personal struggles and fulfill their dreams.

Killua is one of the coolest characters in anime history, and I’ve seen a lot of anime so I hope that gives you a reason to watch this series. There are no fillers, just straight ahead story and action packed awesomeness.

At the very outset you may think that the characters from Hunter X Hunter don’t have any cool looking attacks, or the concept of the story may not look that attractive to you, but do give this a watch. You won’t regret it.

View: https://animefillerlist.net/hunter-x-hunter-filler-list/

1 hour ago, Jaden198 said:

<compressed for character limit>

View: https://animefillerlist.net/hunter-x-hunter-filler-list/

I'm Im_IRS and I endorse this message. But don't get into specifics. It's spoiler heavy.
Most anime is high concept, which means it will sounds ompletely retarded when explained in using specific plot details.

If I were to put it in my words, I would say: HxH is a fantasy Anime that incorporates all nuances of real life better than anything else I've seen of the same genre.  For example, HxH can take the standard tournament arc that's present in a lot of series and figuratively (sometimes literally) flip it on it's head by introducing bribes, blackmail, extortions, winnings and loses on technichalities etc.

Also, like @Jaden198 said, generally the fights in HxH are seldom settled by who can make the bigger energy ball. One of my favorite moments is when the wise, sagely master goes to fight the big bad green monster man. Pretty standard setup, I was already grinding my ax when I first watched it play out because I thought I knew exactly where it was going, either 

A. The Master and Big Bad are evenly matched, but Master loses by a hair, which sets up bigger mountain for the protagonist to climb.

B. The Master loses but weakens the Big Enough for the protagonist to finish.

Well, the answer is actually C. Big Bad barely breaks a sweat kicking in the Master's shit, while the sagely Master, knowing the limit of kung-fu magic, takes the initiative by setting off a dirty tactical nuke. Big Bad survives though, gains a sense of humility and begins to repent his evil ways, but he eventually succumbs to radition poisoning. The protagonist didn't even care- he was off committing war crimes, losing his powers, and getting written out of the story completely. DEUS EX

Edited by Im_IRS (see edit history)

I'll see your HxH and raise you by Dr. Stone-

There is no magic whatsoever, and the maincharacter only gets buffed up by remembering chemical formulas and physical equations and relying on an old man named Kaseki who gets ripped every time he gets excited about making something (there is a bit of rarely used sci if magic in the form of

Spoiler

the medusa device

but otherwise everything is straight up Mad Science).

The series starts with the MC having to outsmart a series of brawn people, but in the later arcs he meets someone on his own level of intelligence.

Spoiler

image.png.04c6a27a76cc4b72cd890eb73f57dff9.png

On a different topic, I recommend a manga called Planetes (https://mangasee123.com/manga/Planetes) about an imaginary first manned flight to Jupiter. (It was written by the same author of vinland saga)

Burn the World!

1 hour ago, kerdios said:

I'll see your HxH and raise you by Dr. Stone-

There is no magic whatsoever, and the maincharacter only gets buffed up by remembering chemical formulas and physical equations and relying on an old man named Kaseki who gets ripped every time he gets excited about making something (there is a bit of rarely used sci if magic in the form of

Reveal hidden contents

the medusa device

but otherwise everything is straight up Mad Science).

The series starts with the MC having to outsmart a series of brawn people, but in the later arcs he meets someone on his own level of intelligence.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.04c6a27a76cc4b72cd890eb73f57dff9.png

On a different topic, I recommend a manga called Planetes (https://mangasee123.com/manga/Planetes) about an imaginary first manned flight to Jupiter. (It was written by the same author of vinland saga)

I don't think it's possible to 1up HxH, but I've been meaning to checkout Dr. Stonegood. 

I heard it's got one thing I'll understand, and he's not what you would call a glamours man. 

All the women in Dr. Stone look like bug-eyed aliens. They're really off-putting, and I'm speaking as a One Piece fan.

Like, it's almost one to one with this ancient image:

image.thumb.png.dea0613a554cffe379122feceab190d8.png

I mean, plus some weird titty and spine anatomy, but that's to be expected at this point.

Edited by Shaddy (see edit history)