On 10/26/2021 at 10:27 PM, kerdios said:

was?

Well it's over now, for me at least.

askeladd.png

"Fleet Intelligence Coming Online"

On 10/27/2021 at 6:29 AM, Im_Unemployed said:

Well it's over now, for me at least.

askeladd.png

Oh? you're not interested in the story beyond the vengeance arc?

Burn the World!

On 10/27/2021 at 7:28 AM, kerdios said:

Oh? you're not interested in the story beyond the vengeance arc?

I am but the anime is over for now. This isn't a manga thread.

On 10/31/2021 at 11:53 PM, kerdios said:

image.thumb.png.c7743f030fd201efef8f8d2074e1b606.png

Still doesn't explain One Piece

On 11/3/2021 at 4:58 AM, Im_Unemployed said:

Still doesn't explain One Piece

nothing can explain one piece.

It's a japanese fad, except it will never go away :)

(remember, the 90s-early2000s shows were made primarily for a japanese audience, they didn't care about how popular it would be in the west)

Burn the World!

On 11/3/2021 at 9:39 AM, kerdios said:

nothing can explain one piece.

It's a japanese fad, except it will never go away :)

(remember, the 90s-early2000s shows were made primarily for a japanese audience, they didn't care about how popular it would be in the west)

There once lived man called Gold D. Roger and he was KINGOFTHEPIRATES

On 11/6/2021 at 3:58 PM, Im_Unemployed said:

There once lived man called Gold D. Roger and he was KINGOFTHEPIRATES

that reminds me I haven't read the latest boichi spinoff for Ace

Burn the World!

On 11/6/2021 at 10:34 AM, kerdios said:

that reminds me I haven't read the latest boichi spinoff for Ace

Seems like a good thing in my eyes

Can someone sell JoJo to me? I can only enjoy when I'm in a group or if I'm under the influence of narcotics. Got through part 1 that way. 

On 11/8/2021 at 8:01 PM, Im_Unemployed said:

Can someone sell JoJo to me? I can only enjoy when I'm in a group or if I'm under the influence of narcotics. Got through part 1 that way. 

Obligatory "part 1 bad"
Phantom blood is only there to set up everything that follows it, which is part of why it's so short. It's kinda like a prequel of sorts, even though it literally came first.

I feel like the point of early JJBA is to be kind of a silly over-the-top action/adventure story whereas part 4 onwards is where it starts to take itself a lot more seriously. Parts 2 and 3 were really fun to watch/read but parts 4 and 7 are unironic masterpieces.

the name's riley

On 11/9/2021 at 12:18 PM, Riles said:

Obligatory "part 1 bad"
Phantom blood is only there to set up everything that follows it, which is part of why it's so short. It's kinda like a prequel of sorts, even though it literally came first.

I feel like the point of early JJBA is to be kind of a silly over-the-top action/adventure story whereas part 4 onwards is where it starts to take itself a lot more seriously. Parts 2 and 3 were really fun to watch/read but parts 4 and 7 are unironic masterpieces.

I guess I could STAND to watch more.. but not sober. Not yet 

On 11/9/2021 at 5:20 PM, kerdios said:

I say stick to hunter x hunter

Finished the 2011 anime years ago.

one-piece-netflix-cast-1.jpg.webp

WOULD THE REAL SLIM-SANJI please stand up

Edited by Im_Unemployed (see edit history)

Regarding one piece: (one piece spoilers ahead)
during the the 2 year gap , sanji (the protagonist crew's cook) is sent to an island populated entirely by trans people. During that time he needs to be constantly on the run in order to avoid the populace of ex-pirates which are chasing him in order to molest him if he gets captured.

The only respite he gets is when he cooks a super special meal from a secret island only recipe for the entire island.

Does this type of depiction of trans people (as rapy , molesty people) make Oda (the creator and writer) a transphobic person or can it be excused as pirates being pirates?
(The only "positive" depiction of an okama that I can recall is of a later character which is depicted as very feminine which is in fact a man, this person is a brave and heroic samurai)
P.S. I have only read the manga, if there is anything in the anime fillers of the 2 year gap that explains this then I am not aware of it.

Burn the World!

Just my cishet-ass opinion, so take with a grain of salt.

The newkamas of Impel Down, Ivankov, Inazuma and Bentham are okay. The most you could say is that design and personality-wise some of them are a bit questionable, though I think Inazuma is actually kind of rad. The characters themselves are heroic, good-natured and generally more agreeable than most. At worst it's a Mother 3 situation, where it was good intentions on the part of a somewhat-ignorant creator.

Kamabakka kingdom specifically is weird, because not only is every person an ugly square-jawed giant-headed unshaven crossdresser, it totally flies in the face of the other group, seemingly just for a joke. It's hard to even call it a depiction of trans people, both because it's kind of ambiguous how any of them identify, and because Ivankov's powers can literally trans people's gender whenever they ask them, which you'd think would be an easy-out.

Also, I'm not entirely certain if they were actually looking to sexually assault Sanji? I don't remember how clear it's made. He definitely dressed himself up when learning the newkama-kenpo from Ivankov, though, and there was an episode of the anime with that. I didn't watch it though, because I exclusively watch long-form anime through filler-free fan edits like Dragon Ball Recut or Naruto Kai.

I don't know if saying "a transphobic person" is a good way of labeling Oda, because it's not like he's doubled down on being publicly loudly horrible to people for several years. It's an unflattering caricature that I don't think many trans people would say represents them, and plenty would probably call actively harmful. I mean, I feel represented very well in the "moody long-haired pretty boy" category with Cavendish, so I can see how there might be a disconnect. This is one of several things One Piece could do stand to improve on, alongside making more than 2 faces for pretty women and knowing when to fucking end an arc, because good God Wano has gone on so long.

Oh, and Kiku is cool. Dunno if I'd say she undoes some of the worse shit, but she's treated better than any okama, and even a lot of the cis women if we're being honest.