Anime Thread

Sign in to follow this  

If I had to guess, I'd say that they averaged out the scores people gave it out of ten, and it came out to around 8.3

I bite the one piece bullet, all the way this time instead of just denting the brass. 

It's good. Bloated and meandering, but the world building binds it all together. I also appreciate the organic power scaling 

"Fleet Intelligence Coming Online"

On 11/28/2021 at 4:01 PM, Shaddy said:

Just my cishet-ass opinion, so take with a grain of salt.

The newkamas of Impel Down, Ivankov, Inazuma and Bentham are okay. The most you could say is that design and personality-wise some of them are a bit questionable, though I think Inazuma is actually kind of rad. The characters themselves are heroic, good-natured and generally more agreeable than most. At worst it's a Mother 3 situation, where it was good intentions on the part of a somewhat-ignorant creator.

Kamabakka kingdom specifically is weird, because not only is every person an ugly square-jawed giant-headed unshaven crossdresser, it totally flies in the face of the other group, seemingly just for a joke. It's hard to even call it a depiction of trans people, both because it's kind of ambiguous how any of them identify, and because Ivankov's powers can literally trans people's gender whenever they ask them, which you'd think would be an easy-out.

Also, I'm not entirely certain if they were actually looking to sexually assault Sanji? I don't remember how clear it's made. He definitely dressed himself up when learning the newkama-kenpo from Ivankov, though, and there was an episode of the anime with that. I didn't watch it though, because I exclusively watch long-form anime through filler-free fan edits like Dragon Ball Recut or Naruto Kai.

I don't know if saying "a transphobic person" is a good way of labeling Oda, because it's not like he's doubled down on being publicly loudly horrible to people for several years. It's an unflattering caricature that I don't think many trans people would say represents them, and plenty would probably call actively harmful. I mean, I feel represented very well in the "moody long-haired pretty boy" category with Cavendish, so I can see how there might be a disconnect. This is one of several things One Piece could do stand to improve on, alongside making more than 2 faces for pretty women and knowing when to fucking end an arc, because good God Wano has gone on so long.

Oh, and Kiku is cool. Dunno if I'd say she undoes some of the worse shit, but she's treated better than any okama, and even a lot of the cis women if we're being honest.

It's Over, It's Finally Over ?

Burn the World!

So I've heard. I haven't personally checked back with the manga since several months before I wrote that. All I've really gleamed is that Luffy finally got his super saiyan form. I'm honestly fucked either way, since I feel like I've probably forgotten most of Wano (frankly, I've forgotten most of Whole Cake too) and will probably start from the beginning of the arc whenever I get back to the series.

Oh, and on an unrelated note, Berserk is coming back, in case anyone here hadn't heard yet. Lead by Miura's close friend and established mangaka Kouji Mori, along with the rest of the assist team from Miura's manga studio, they're going to try and close out Elfhelm (with TWO chapters coming on the 24th) and then base the final arc on Miura's unfinished plans. I honestly couldn't be happier, because even if this conclusion ends up sucking (which, I'm optimistic, I think it'll be "okay" at worst), Miura's work stands on its own and I don't think it will be brought down by a poor attempt at an ending any more than it was by not having one at all.

On 6/21/2022 at 6:13 AM, Shaddy said:

Oh, and on an unrelated note, Berserk is coming back, in case anyone here hadn't heard yet. Lead by Miura's close friend and established mangaka Kouji Mori, along with the rest of the assist team from Miura's manga studio, they're going to try and close out Elfhelm (with TWO chapters coming on the 24th) and then base the final arc on Miura's unfinished plans. I honestly couldn't be happier, because even if this conclusion ends up sucking (which, I'm optimistic, I think it'll be "okay" at worst), Miura's work stands on its own and I don't think it will be brought down by a poor attempt at an ending any more than it was by not having one at all.

?

Burn the World!

I like Death Note. A lot of people say it goes downhill in the second part, which is true, but it's still pretty good.

EDIT: oh, what's going on with this dude? half his posts look like bot posts but the others seem more legit. is he scraping others' posts or something?

Edited by Shaddy (see edit history)

Just another Based Death Note Chad.
Everything looks kosher to me

"Fleet Intelligence Coming Online"

My favourite is Tokyo Ghoul!

It is a story is set in an alternate Tokyo where flesh-eating ghouls coexist with humans. The protagonist, Kaneki Ken, undergoes a profound transformation after a chance encounter with a ghoul leaves him half-ghoul himself.

It kept me on edges all seasons!