Anime Thread

Sign in to follow this  

I chose other.

My favorite has got to be Trigun. I was so happy when I finally got a hold of a dvd box.

Personal honorable mentions coming in close behind are Zero no Tsukaima, Cowboy Bebop and Itazura na Kiss. no order.

Retired Forum Moderator

Tough Choice... DB is my favorite anime series... I watched them through all my childhood and still do sometimes... Watching DBZ when you were 3-4 FTW.

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

Pokemon is a classic, but I do remember watching the Japanese Naruto on YouTube when my friend linked me to them. Dragonball is also great, but I didn't watch enough to truly say that I was a fan. I'll choose Pokemon.

I chose other.

My favorite has got to be Trigun. I was so happy when I finally got a hold of a dvd box.

Personal honorable mentions coming in close behind are Zero no Tsukaima, Cowboy Bebop and Itazura na Kiss. no order.

Magic of netflicks lets me own the box set when ever i want =)

I'm kinda surprised because Flash Kicker (Captain Tsubasa) is not in the poll

captain_tsubasa01.jpg

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

I chose other.

Magic of netflicks lets me own the box set when ever i want =)

My mind works differently. I need to have a copy of it nestled safely in my drawer else it just doesn't feel right.

Retired Forum Moderator

I'm kinda surprised because Flash Kicker (Captain Tsubasa) is not in the poll

captain_tsubasa01.jpg

Actually i was thinking about placing it there,well,since 3 animes got zero votes i can replace 1 of them

The future of gaming lies in realistic simulations of extraordinary realities

"I am drunk, you dont have an excuse"

You should rename this thread to Favorite Anime and Manga And remove the poll. It would really just make everything so much easier. As it is, I don't want to create a separate manga thread. The reason is that the two often overlap, but not always. And the overwhelming "other" vote in the poll is really self explanatory in regards to it's lack of usefulness. There is little point in naming your favorites or voting on series, the real intent to sharing is to recommend to others. Which a poll and title alone cannot do. for that reason, I'd suggest a cropped image, a short summary of the series and a few recommending lines.

I'll try to start off with Anime's then shift more towards manga's that have not been animated.

Cowboy Bebop

cowboybebopy.jpg

The adventures of a group of space bounty hunters. It's really it's own genre so describing it may be best. Blues & Jazz music, Bounty hunters, Criminal organizations, Space travel within an alternate reality solar system where most of the moons and planets have been colonized. The series is famous and loved by many for a reason. It's funny and comical at times but the core of the series is quite serious. You might laugh and you might cry. This is the complete package as far as animes go. I highly recommend it. I consider it my favorite anime that does not have a manga source.

Sword of the Stranger

strangerd.jpg

If you stay away from animes because you don't like how over the top and ridiculous most series can get, I would recommend this movie. Apart from the Rurouni Kenshin Trust and betrayal OVA's, this is probably the finest piece of samurai action I can think of. The story involves a boy who's trying to escape pursuit and seeks the protection of a nameless samurai. There's no 30 minute long power ups, Or long mid-fight speeches. It's a solid movie with exceptional sword fighting.

Serei no Moribito It's the fantasy story of a spear wielding woman body guard who is hired by a queen to protect her son from the emperor. Most of that sounds pretty normal, the fantasy element is that beyond the physical world, there also exists a spirit world or were people go when they die. The two worlds interact at times and the young prince is wanted dead for carrying the egg of a spirit from the other world within him. Story aside, the fights are quite awesome. Overall I'd say that this is like a tv series version of Miyazaki's movies Ie Nausica of the Valley of the Wind or Princess Mononoke. the stories aren't similar but the style of fantasy is more akin to that than any other I can think of.

-----------

Rurouni Kenshin - Trust & Betrayal

1685snm.jpg

Forget the tv series, the movie, and the Jinchuu ova's. These 4 ova's featuring the past of Himura Kenshin are literally spectacular. Incredible art, a good soundtrack, and a story that really needs to be seen as any description would fall short. For people that generally hate animes and mangas. This would be the one and only exception I would recommend. As it's more or less like watching a drawn samurai movie. Unlike Sword of the Stranger, Trust & Betrayal is more akin to a work of art than simply an animation. This was my introduction to anime years back and it's still my favorite. I can't recommend it highly enough. Though I also assume that just about everyone that enters this thread will have already seen it.

Berserk

1295911278914.jpg

This is my favorite manga series, period. The depth and level of writing of the story pretty much blows every other series I've ever read out of the water. I can't recommend the anime version as it only contains a few volumes of the story and pretty much omits a large portion of even the volumes it does cover. Berserk is a Dark Fantasy that follows the life and struggles of Guts, a mercenary who's pretty much been raised on the battlefield. Trying to sum up the story within a few sentences is beyond me so I'll just say that it's an epic dark fantasy with an incredibly badass protagonist. It's medieval knights, kingdom warfare, and later on magic and sorcery. Some people also consider it to be one of the darkest manga's out there due to the horror aspects and that it can be quite disturbing at times. that might put some people off, but life isn't sweet and fair and neither is Berserk. If one can get over the art quality of the first 3 volumes, it gets exceptionally better. It's been running for almost 22 years after all. As far as recommending it goes, I can't recall running into even one person who's read Berserk and did not end up loving it. Enjoy

----

Vagabond

230pxvagabond21.jpg

This is purely a manga series. It is Takehiko Inoue's version of the life of Miyamoto Musashi. Quite possibly the most famous samurai to ever exist. He wrote books on swordsmanship and warfare. The manga features consistently incredible artwork that can at times be realistic and sometimes surreal like water coloring. Everything about this series is top notch. The fighting, the story, art, characters, philosophy, everything about it. If one hasn't read this series, they're missing out.

Vinland Saga

230pxvinlandsagavolume0.jpg

Vikings. no really, that pretty much sums it up. lol It's a historic manga set during the Dane controlled England of the 11th Century. The art work is very consistent and high in quality. Unlike Vagabond, it doesn't really get surreal. The story focuses on Thorfinn, a boy that through a series of events ends up joining the invasion of England. He's not there to plunder or gain a fortune, he just wants to kill his groups leader in an honorable duel for revenge. I don't think I can do the story justice. It's pretty hardcore vikings so if you've seen Vikings(1958) with Kirk Douglas. This is pretty much like that but 20x more action packed. Enjoy ^_^

Shin Angyo Onshi (Blade of the Phantom Master)

9339onshi6.jpg

This is the only Korean Manhwa I'll mention in detail. It's an epic fantasy set in the kingdom of Jushin. The story revolves around Munsu, an Angyo Onshi or agent of the king that punished corrupt government officials. Fantasy may be misleading when it comes to this series, as it's more oriental fantasy than anything else. It contains ki like magic, summonings, and devils. Interestingly enough it also contains Western pistols and cannons. The manhwa involves a lot of unorthodox strategy which is really quite interesting to read. However, none of this would make for a particularly good series. What really shines in Shin Angyo Onshi is the story and characters. This series is likely to tear your heart and emotions to pieces if you let it. It's also episodic in nature as most of the early volumes are a collection of folk lore inspired stories. The art and series itself starts a bit rough but gets better and better. At times I can't really decide as to what's more incredible, this Manhwa or Miura's Berserk. Well enjoy

-there is an anime movie, but I'd avoid that like the plague.

Honorable mentions: Noblesse, Magician, Cat Street, Id, Till Death do us Part, Dorohedoro, Unbalance x Unbalance, Black Lagoon, Slam Dunk, Great Teacher Onizuka, Giant Killing, One Outs, Ghost in the Shell, Monster, Anya Kouro, etc I'll stop here.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya was awesome. Can't wait for the dub for the movie.

You should rename this thread to Favorite Anime and Manga And remove the poll. It would really just make everything so much easier. As it is, I don't want to create a separate manga thread. The reason is that the two often overlap, but not always. And the overwhelming "other" vote in the poll is really self explanatory in regards to it's lack of usefulness. There is little point in naming your favorites or voting on series, the real intent to sharing is to recommend to others. Which a poll and title alone cannot do. for that reason, I'd suggest a cropped image, a short summary of the series and a few recommending lines.

Very well.

BTW :Rurouni Kenshin: trust and betrayal was excelent,way darker than the original series

The future of gaming lies in realistic simulations of extraordinary realities

"I am drunk, you dont have an excuse"

Very well.

BTW :Rurouni Kenshin: trust and betrayal was excelent,way darker than the original series

Thank you.

Yeah, it didn't entirely follow the manga. Like depicting the attack by the Shinsen Gumi on the Ikedaya was pretty exclusive to the Ova's. And that may have been one of my favorite parts. Seeing Okita and Saito in action. More blood and a deeper focus on Kenshin's internal struggle with murdering people.

Normally I prefer the manga for series I like but in the case of Rurouni Kenshin the Ova's really are the pinnacle of the franchise.

Speaking of which, apparently after all this time there's a new Rurouni Kenshin anime in the works. I'm not clear on the details since I don't think it's been revealed what exactly this project will be. It's still worth keeping an eye out though.

Clannad. This thread should be closed now. All other opinions are invalid, Clannad is the best. Clannad is enough to make anyone cry.

Haruhi comes afterwards though... Very close!

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya was awesome. Can't wait for the dub for the movie.

I can't stand dubs... Watch the subtitled versions, if you're anything like me you'll start picking up some Japanese xD