ALL VIDEOS ON HOLD

Hey Ross, I'm by no means an expert, but I've been going to school for safety and industrial hygiene. Mold is, as you've already noticed, a pretty serious issue. As others have said, it seems like you live in a pretty humid apartment, so maybe a dehumidifier would be a good temporary fix. My concern is that if you're getting electrical interruptions and the smell of mold after cleaning, you've probably got mold inside of your walls. The first place that your landlord should look is the roof. That crack on your wall is probably due to the building settling as it gets old, and isn't in and of itself a huge concern. The concern is if those settling cracks have appeared on the roof and haven't been sealed or patched. My guess is that water is collecting on the roof, seeping through cracks and dripping into your walls and ceiling, and then growing mold in the spaces between your interior wall and the exterior of the building. There's basically nothing that you personally can do about that. Having water near electrical wires and stuff is obviously a pretty big fire hazard, and having stagnant water in your walls will lead to enormous mold growth.

I think moving is the best option; getting to that mold means tearing out walls, and potentially fumigation if the case is severe enough. Basically, I don't think that you can fix this problem yourself. Your landlord needs to deal with the issues of an aging building and that will be a long process that I don't recommend you stick around for.

Ross, you should be thinking moving east, not west. Poland is still eurozone, so it's like at least twice expensive than say Serbia. With your normal monthly income from donations page (I would assume that to be around 2k, though I am not really watching it) you may rent a three-story 250m^2 house in Crimea (ok, that probably will take all of your income, sure, but you probably don't need that big of a house). I guess that would solve your concerns about neighbors. Also, better climate.

There are tons of options all around the world and with income that doesn't really depend on your location, wherever it's cheaper and have good internet access - is the best

Ross, you should be thinking moving east, not west. Poland is still eurozone, so it's like at least twice expensive than say Serbia. With your normal monthly income from donations page (I would assume that to be around 2k, though I am not really watching it) you may rent a three-story 250m^2 house in Crimea (ok, that probably will take all of your income, sure, but you probably don't need that big of a house). I guess that would solve your concerns about neighbors. Also, better climate.

I ardently support this. Crimea is a corner of paradise with mild climate, lots of intact forests, lots of beautiful palaces, kind open people, and (after reunion with Russia) rather good infrastructure (you will have trouble finding a crumbling, mold-ridden residence building in Crimea).

As a place to live, it is ridiculously undervalued and undersold.

Come the full moon, the bat flies whose boiling blood shall stem the tide.

I ardently support this. Crimea is a corner of paradise with mild climate, lots of intact forests, lots of beautiful palaces, kind open people, and (after reunion with Russia) rather good infrastructure (you will have trouble finding a crumbling, mold-ridden residence building in Crimea).

As a place to live, it is ridiculously undervalued and undersold.

Yeah, his wife is afraid of moving to the U.S., but she’ll be totally fine with moving to a region that might turn into a war zone at any moment. Oh, and after all his troubles with the Polish bureaucracy, I’m sure living under a Russian occupation government will be way easier.

My little gaming blog

https://corktowngaming.wordpress.com

Yeah, his wife is afraid of moving to the U.S., but she’ll be totally fine with moving to a region that might turn into a war zone at any moment. Oh, and after all his troubles with the Polish bureaucracy, I’m sure living under a Russian occupation government will be way easier.

I was going to say something to this effect, but you beat me to it. Also consider other important factors like access to good healthcare, which you wouldn't get there. (especially as a foreign national)

Well, Crimea is a paradise, indeed. However, IT IS an occupied territory, as well, so... And it's definitely not cheap, at least comparing to the other (unocupied) parts of Ukraine, where Ross would definitely live like a king on his salary. Especially in the western part of the country, cities like Lviv, for example.

Ross's videos featuring Russian & Ukrainian subtitles - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCovZbPyDLJnrSsm489fv9-A/playlists?disable_polymer=1

I’m sure living under a Russian occupation government will be way easier.
IT IS an occupied territory, as well, so...

You must be confused. The occupation of Crimea ended in 2014.

The occupation of Crimea ended in 2014.

Well, if we set Ukrainian interests, Russian interests, violation of laws and common sense aside, and just take into account Crimean Tatars' opinion, you know, the natives, then I think they will pretty fucking strongly disagree with you on this one.

Ross's videos featuring Russian & Ukrainian subtitles - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCovZbPyDLJnrSsm489fv9-A/playlists?disable_polymer=1

I’m sure living under a Russian occupation government will be way easier.
IT IS an occupied territory, as well, so...

You must be confused. The occupation of Crimea ended in 2014.

Yeah, and the occupation of the Sudetenland ended in 1938.

You see Ross, this is the kind of person you invite in when you give uncritical air to quasi-conspiracy theories like in your Deus Ex review.

My little gaming blog

+1 for de-humidifiers, but don't even think of non-electric versions. You could try drying clothes in the smallest closable room with the de-humidifier running, just remember to empty its water tank regularly. This way the rest of the apartment won't get more humidity from the drying clothes. And I have the suspicion that de-humidifiers are more efficient for smaller spaces...

If your apartment is not on the top floor, your top neighbor's bathroom (broken pipe/plumbing) could be the cause for the mold in yours. Otherwise, it must be the roof (but then I guess it's not directly your landlord's fault, there must be a caretaker/representative of the whole building who has to commission roof repairs, if things in Poland work any similar way than in Hungary).

If moving to a rural area (like small villages with <1000 residents, far from bigger cities) is an option for you, you might want to check the rent on houses there. This way you might be able to get a house with a garden, which is a) cheaper than your current apartment, and b) isolated enough from neighbors so that making noise would not a problem.

Best of luck with moving out!

this is the kind of person you invite in when you give uncritical air to quasi-conspiracy theories like in your Deus Ex review.

Do you realize that you are talking to a 3rd generation Simferopolitan?

I swear, it is absolutely hilarious when someone living on the antipodal point of Earth (who probably won't even be able to find Crimea on the map) is telling me how "occupied" and "annexed" I am.

You probably should go read about the administrative status of Crimea after the collapse of USSR.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Crimean Tatars' opinion, you know, the natives

Oh, you do not want to go this road :D because then we'll remember the American natives and you'll look really awkward :D

Crimean Tatars' opinion, you know, the natives

Oh, you do not want to go this road :D because then we'll remember the American natives and you'll look really awkward :D

I can't tell if you're being serious. If you are being serious, I've never met any other American who felt awkward talking about how the Native Americans were treated. We learn about it in grade school.

Some people think there's too much of a 'noble savage' ideology being promulgated, but feel awkward talking about atrocities being committed by all sides. I don't think that's the kind of awkward you mean though.

because then we'll remember the American natives and you'll look really awkward

Well, yeah, Ross' fan base consists mostly of Americans, but I'm not one (although it's easy to get fooled by my nickname, which just consists of two names I really like :lol:). And it's not like they're the only ones who condemn Russia for their doings.

Actually, I always felt sorry for the American natives. I never understood how Americans can talk about democracy after what they did to them. I don't know, maybe they aknowledged their fault for this, or something, but it's still really sad.

Anyway, there's no point discussing all this. What I don't understand is how Ross can have problems with renting an apartment in Poland when he's wife is Polish? Surely, she could do that by herself, or something like that. Or maybe I'm missing something...

Anyway, there's no point discussing all this. What I don't understand is how Ross can have problems with renting an apartment in Poland when he's wife is Polish? Surely, she could do that by herself, or something like that. Or maybe I'm missing something...

I imagine Ross is getting swept up in the anti-immigrant sentiment sweeping through Eastern Europe right now--not that they intend it to harm a white guy like Ross, but they have to at least appear fair--and basically he can't change his residence without the form he was talking about being approved, even if Magda can.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

My little gaming blog

I imagine Ross is getting swept up in the anti-immigrant sentiment sweeping through Eastern Europe right now--not that they intend it to harm a white guy like Ross, but they have to at least appear fair--and basically he can't change his residence without the form he was talking about being approved, even if Magda can.

Well, if his wife is the one who rents the new apartment, I think he could technically move with her and take care of the paperwork later... (if the landlord agrees to this, because the authorities will probably post his residence permit/notifications to his current address)

If his resident permit has expired anyway, does it matter so much where he actually lives?

Eventually, he (or Magda) could rent a livable flat while keeping the current one as well until his residence permit is taken care of, if that is financially feasible.

Or they could just Airbnb something until matters get resolved... ;)

To people suggesting Ross would move to Crimea.... yeah right. First, crimea is occupied territory by Russia (to put any and all claims of "but it was will of people" aside- Crimea was actually legally independent after USSR collapsed. But they DECIDED to join Ukraine). Now, if that alone isnt enough, theres also the fact that wages & pensions in crimea have suffered a lot to point of where Medvedev (prime minister of Russia) asked retired people to "hold on" year or 2 ago, infrastructure is a mess.

Also 2 biggest problems with crimea- its still under sanctions. Heavy ones, the type that would directly affect Ross since he works via internet. First is that several large sites have imposed sanctions on Crimea, rendering their services unavailable there (such as steam). Now, granted, this can be bypassed by VPN-s, but here comes another problem and more obvious one- russian goverment. Russia outlawed use of VPN-s unless you have specific permission year or so ago. Add that to fact that FSB is basically KGB reborn and most people dont like to be snooped upon... well, theres that.

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

Although "Move as soon as possible, unless the landlord completely blows out and renovates the entire building", seems like the inevitable thing to do, I thought I'd mention that there are combination washer/dryer units -- got one myself, after once too many having forgotten (for several days) to empty the washing machine. :P

Takes longer, tends to cost more than two separate machines, and have limited capacity, but should suffice for a household of two, and the one-step procedure is rather convenient.

EDIT: Quite terrified about seeing the washer that close to the bathtub, by the way. :P