ROSS'S GAME DUNGEON: THE CREW

most if not all of your criticism was based on extremely subjective criteria, like “I don’t like exaggerated clothing styles, so it’s bad” or “This reminds me of anime which I don’t like, so it’s bad” or “This game’s politics don’t sufficiently align with mine, so it’s bad.”

That's... kind of bullshit, sorry.

Ross explicitly said that neither flamboyant clothing, nor anime undertones are "bad". They just do not belong to a Deus Ex prequel.

Hell, he even dedicated one of the show's awards to the fact that this game is actually really good, if it is considered outside the context of the Deus Ex universe.

As for the politics, they didn't "align" badly with someone's taste. They were just objectively poorly done.

Come the full moon, the bat flies whose boiling blood shall stem the tide.

So Ross, I just thought I’d put this out there. When you were trashing Human Revolution, I pointed out that most if not all of your criticism was based on extremely subjective criteria, like “I don’t like exaggerated clothing styles, so it’s bad” or “This reminds me of anime which I don’t like, so it’s bad” or “This game’s politics don’t sufficiently align with mine, so it’s bad.” And here, I think you’ve indulged in an even more subjective view.

Surely, you must realize that almost no one plays driving games to aimlessly drive through the environments, no matter how nice they are. The environment in a racing game is like the condiments on food—if the only thing a restaurant has going for it is a huge selection of good condiments, but the food is just mediocre, of course the restaurant is only going to be perceived as a mediocre, because people go to restaurants for food not condiments. So you can’t really be surprised that this game was dismissed as mediocre—the only reason you have any interest in it it’s because of your extremely niche taste for going on Sunday drives in video game worlds. For most people (at least the ones this game was aimed at) if they wanted to go on a road trip they would just go on one.

I think you're misinterpreting a lot of what I said about Human Revolution. I wasn't trying to lambast the clothing styles at all, I think they would be great in an original intellectual property that would be less restrained being held back by Deus Ex. In fact, I'm kind of curious about the Nier:Automata game since that looks wild and imaginative, the sort of thing that HR might be better suited for thematically.

As Scumcoder said, I was judging it as a prequel. I think that's completely fair, if not expected. If there was a new Doom game that didn't involve demons and was focused on conflict between factions in the Middle East, I wouldn't smile upon that kindly either. Not because it's necessarily a bad game, but because it's not Doom, but is calling itself that. In fact, I've noticed a lot, if not all of the people who disagree with me the most fervently on my Human Revolution video never played the original Deus Ex.

As for politics, I honestly don't remember bringing that up in the Human Revolution one. What I was relentless about was the unrelaistic human behavior and how the themes were far more narrow and contrived than the original's. That's not the same thing as disagreeing with the politics. What politics in Human Revolution did I disagree with?

As for The Crew, I almost addressed this in the video, but decided to chop it out. You can say that most people playing driving games aren't interested in the environment. I have a few responses to that:

1. I completely acknowledge different people like driving games for different reasons. Some people want Project Cars, some people want Outrun 2006, two totally different games appealing to different audiences. I happen to care about the environment of the game.

2. The sales figures of Euro Truck Simulator 2 would suggest otherwise that people don't care about the "exploration driving" kinds of games. It's literally sold more copies than The Crew.

3. Fine, let's say the target demographic is NOT people who care about exploring the environment. Then, why make it the second largest driving game in history if you don't want players to care about the environment?

The line I cut from the video was something like:

"This would be like rendering and recreating the entire city of Hong Kong in Street Fighter 2 just to show it as a background for Chun-Li's fighting stage"

Hey Ross. When are you going to upload uncompressed version if this video? Is it before June 14 or still going to be a while?

I created an account here just to ask this, because I though It would be more likely for you to see it here.

Hey Ross. When are you going to upload uncompressed version if this video? Is it before June 14 or still going to be a while?

I created an account here just to ask this, because I though It would be more likely for you to see it here.

Well, an "uncompressed" version would be about 533GB, so never, but I know what you mean.

Really my main hold up is I don't know what filesize I should be aiming for. The copy I uploaded to Youtube was a little under 10GB. I normally don't compress the videos more than that, but that might be a bit big for people to want to grab.

In handbrake, I did some tests, for those that are curious:

RF level 24: 5.38GB

RF level 26: 3.87GB

RF level 28: 2.71GB

RF level 30: 1.85GB

I still have the losslessly compressed version on my drive at around 200GB, but I don't want to hang onto it forever. I guess some feedback on what quality level v. size it is people are looking for would be helpful.

As for politics, I honestly don't remember bringing that up in the Human Revolution one. What I was relentless about was the unrelaistic human behavior and how the themes were far more narrow and contrived than the original's. That's not the same thing as disagreeing with the politics. What politics in Human Revolution did I disagree with?

The original Deus Ex was all about conspiracy theories about the corporate elite controlling society from the shadows being true—i.e it flattered your politics. Human Revolution was about discrimination, and that was not to your taste, so you weren’t interested; you picked apart the idea of augmentation as a basis for discrimination, but you felt little need to pick apart the conspiracy theories in the original. So using the idea of augmented people being discriminated against as a signpost for discrimination in our society is no good because it’s not realistic; but using conspiracy theories as a signpost for the problematic concentration of power around the wealthy in our society is A-OK, even if those conspiracy theories are unrealistic.

But I’ve already said everything I wanted to say about HR in that thread. We will never see eye to eye.

As for The Crew, I almost addressed this in the video, but decided to chop it out. You can say that most people playing driving games aren't interested in the environment. I have a few responses to that:

1. I completely acknowledge different people like driving games for different reasons. Some people want Project Cars, some people want Outrun 2006, two totally different games appealing to different audiences. I happen to care about the environment of the game.

2. The sales figures of Euro Truck Simulator 2 would suggest otherwise that people don't care about the "exploration driving" kinds of games. It's literally sold more copies than The Crew.

3. Fine, let's say the target demographic is NOT people who care about exploring the environment. Then, why make it the second largest driving game in history if you don't want players to care about the environment?

The line I cut from the video was something like:

"This would be like rendering and recreating the entire city of Hong Kong in Street Fighter 2 just to show it as a background for Chun-Li's fighting stage"

1. I was pointing out that you said you were shocked that the game received almost no coverage or hype— I simply explained why you really shouldn’t be surprised.

2. I never said there wasn’t a niche for this sort of game, just that you shouldn’t really be surprised it’s small. Euro Truck Simulator sold 300k; Need for Speed: Most Wanted sold 16 million.

3. I didn’t say that that wasn’t the target demographic, just that you really shouldn’t be surprised it isn’t very big.

My little gaming blog

https://corktowngaming.wordpress.com

Well, an "uncompressed" version would be about 533GB, so never, but I know what you mean.

Really my main hold up is I don't know what filesize I should be aiming for. The copy I uploaded to Youtube was a little under 10GB. I normally don't compress the videos more than that, but that might be a bit big for people to want to grab.

In handbrake, I did some tests, for those that are curious:

RF level 24: 5.38GB

RF level 26: 3.87GB

RF level 28: 2.71GB

RF level 30: 1.85GB

I still have the losslessly compressed version on my drive at around 200GB, but I don't want to hang onto it forever. I guess some feedback on what quality level v. size it is people are looking for would be helpful.

I wouldn't mind the 10 GB version to be honest. That is coming from someone who downloaded a 37 GB copy of the first star wars movie though. Here the thing: I think the people who care about smaller file size probably wouldn't go out of there way to download a internet video anyway. They can just watch it on youtube. The reason why you'd want to download it is to get the best quality version. Or at least it is for me. The video is almost 50 min anyway. I would also be happy with 5.38GB but I definitely wouldn't go with 1.85GB.

But I’ve already said everything I wanted to say about HR in that thread. We will never see eye to eye.

2016? man talk about a grudge :lol::mrgreen:

i honestly barely remember what he even said in that episode to be honest, but I think a big point was, how HR to him felt less like a Deus Ex game, and more like an entirely different game, and how he would've been fine, as long as it had a different name, or something like that? i really don't remember, sorry

i don't know, i feel like even though i disagree about some of the stuff he said , it feels like arguing about it won't lead to much, the whole show is pretty subjective, so i can't really say that ross is wrong, i mean, it is his opinion at the end of the day, that's just how he feels like about the game, but i'm the type to just kinda shrugh it off, and i just move on usually, i'm not sure how to explain myself

even though i disagree with ross sometimes, i don't feel like it's that big of a deal, you can still like human revolutions for your own reasons in my mind

i get that it might not seem fair, but you can't control someone's thoughts, and i wouldn't get too obsessed over trying to change them, it generally doesn't work from i've seen, at the end of the day ross is some stranger on the internet, not a family member who you sit down and talk to about, anything, i think just giving out your opinion once is good enough, people either accept it over time, and do consider it, or just never bother considering it at all, from my own experience at least, i'm pretty open to new ideas though, even if i look contrarian or reluctant, i always open up

people on the internet just take to people not liking things they do like themselves, a bit too personally for my tastes, i think people need to chill out, at the end of the day, what matters the most is that we all enjoy ourselves, and i feel like people could be less mean overall, i wish people could just focus on the having fun part, instead of always focusing on the negative

i just wish we could all get along, you know? i don't think it's a healty habit, to hold a grudge over a simple game for so long, it's a bit too much even for me

but i don't know, this is just an internet forum about games, there's no need to be that pendatic all the time, i think you should just replay human revolutions, have a good time with it, and just move on

I’m not holding (much of) a grudge; likewise, I agree that there isn’t much point arguing about endlessly when you have a difference in opinion on something subjective like a video game’s quality. But I’m not taking it personally—I just gave Ross money (not a lot but some) so obliviously I’m more satisfied with him than not. I actually enjoyed the video for the most part.

In my experience with YouTubers that are worth a damn, they quite frequently build up a following that is completely uncritical, which I think does nothing for the quality of their content. Ross gets plenty of positive reinforcement here and elsewhere, so sometimes I take it upon myself to give him a little ribbing.

My little gaming blog

The original Deus Ex was all about conspiracy the[/size]ories about the corporate elite controlling society from the shadows being true—i.e it flattered your politics. Human Revolution was about discrimination, and that was not to your taste, so you weren’t interested; you picked apart the idea of augmentation as a basis for discrimination, but you felt little need to pick apart the conspiracy theories in the original. So using the idea of augmented people being discriminated against as a signpost for discrimination in our society is no good because it’s not realistic; but using conspiracy theories as a signpost for the problematic concentration of power around the wealthy in our society is A-OK, even if those conspiracy theories are unrealistic.
Look, I don't know if you're doing it on purpose, but the reality is what you're doing is gaslighting. We're not going to have a productive conversation from that.

You say "I felt little need to pick apart the conspiracy theories from the original." Is that what you call me quoting Eisenhower, giving figures on the military industrial complex, large media conglomerate merging, analyzing the shift in terrorism coverage, and how new institutions were formed and constitutional rights were altered after. If that's not picking things apart enough, I think you'll have to look elsewhere for more serious coverage of a videogame.

The original had MANY themes, conspiracy theories being one of them. I outright dismissed some things as "fun game stuff" when talking about the stories, not meant to be taken very seriously and said as much in the video. Things like the greys, augmentation, giant mechs, exploding men in black, etc. For the most part, the game didn't take those elements very seriously either. I'd say the game took themes like terrorism, poverty, disease, role of government power, etc. more seriously and I tried to touch on some of those also. I WAS critical of things like the police tactics, as I was in Human Revolution also.

In Human Revolution, it basically just had ONE theme, transhumanism, with discrimination being a part of that. I didn't think the premise was very believable, so I was critical of it because the game itself was treating it seriously. Even if I was suspending my disbelief however, I found the human behavior unbelievable also, so I found it failing on both levels. Hacking for example, was more of a fun game element, which neither the game nor I took very seriously, thus I wasn't critical of it. The clothing is an example where by itself, would simply be a fun game element, but in a prequel, it was a clear divergence from the source material thematically. I only took apart the theme of augmentation because the game itself took it so seriously. It's not the theme of discrimination I have a problem with, it's handling it poorly as a sole theme in an already established franchise that was known for a more multi-dimensional look at the world.

The basis of your argument so far is attributing things to me that I didn't do when I did do them, or that I did do when I didn't do them. Again, I'm not saying you're doing this intentionally, but you're basically characterizing me as someone else in your mind, then arguing that. That's not an honest way of conducting a conversation, I don't really see the point of continuing this if that's your approach.

1. I was pointing out that you said you were shocked that the game received almost no coverage or hype— I simply explained why you really shouldn’t be surprised.

2. I never said there wasn’t a niche for this sort of game, just that you shouldn’t really be surprised it’s small. Euro Truck Simulator sold 300k; Need for Speed: Most Wanted sold 16 million.

3. I didn’t say that that wasn’t the target demographic, just that you really shouldn’t be surprised it isn’t very big.

And again, we have sort of a less direct form of gaslighting.

First off, Euro Truck Simulator 2 sold 4.5 million copies. I would not call that "extremely niche", and it undermines your other points, but it's clear you thought I was talking about the original at 300k copies, so fine, let's go with that. Your original statements say:

"Surely, you must realize that almost no one plays driving games to aimlessly drive through the environments, no matter how nice they are."

"For most people (at least the ones this game was aimed at) if they wanted to go on a road trip they would just go on one."

but then you go and say:

"I didn’t say that that wasn’t the target demographic, just that you really shouldn’t be surprised it isn’t very big."

You JUST SAID the people that this game was aimed at are people who don't care about driving around aimlessly in the environment, then you reply and say you DIDN'T say that people who care about the environment aren't the target demographic. Well logically, they CAN'T be the target demographic if they're not being aimed at, in your words. Except, now you're saying the exact opposite, and claiming you didn't say anything to the contrary, except you did.

This is gaslighting. At best, you're being hypocritical and strawmanning me without meaning to. At worst, you're just trolling. Either way, this isn't how you conduct an honest conversation, so I'm not going further with it. I'll never convince you the sky is blue if you see it as green and are claiming I said it's red.

This is gaslighting. At best, you're being hypocritical and strawmanning me without meaning to.

gaslighting = putting words in your mouth?

sorry i never really heard of the term, i never really understood what "straw manning" ment either

Gaslighting is when you psychologically manipulate someone into believing they're going insane.

Strawmanning is the informal logical fallacy of erecting an easier to defeat version of your opponent's argument and defeating that instead of the actual argument.

"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero... I have always only fought for the people I believe in. I won't hesitate... If an enemy appears in front of me, I will destroy it!"

– Zero, Mega Man Zero 4

This is gaslighting. At best, you're being hypocritical and strawmanning me without meaning to.

gaslighting = putting words in your mouth?

sorry i never really heard of the term, i never really understood what "straw manning" ment either

Akamia has it right, though I would clarify that gaslighting is specifically saying something that was known to happen didn't happen, or vice-versa. It's trying to enforce the notion that the reality you know happened never happened. So if you think you went to the store last week and I say that you never went to the store even though you did, that's gaslighting. It gets its name from the movie Gaslight, where a character doing this is the main plot of the movie.

Straw man is also as he said. If you argue something, and I restate it as something similar, but not the same, then argue against that, that's a straw man argument. It gets the name from being like a scarecrow, rather than argue against the original, you argue against the imitation, as though it were made out of straw. Saying I think Human Revolution is a bad game because it has a different clothing, anime influences, and has different politics than mine is pretty much a textbook definition of it. Those were never my arguments, it was more complex than that, but they're being represented as though that was my stance.

The original Deus Ex was all about conspiracy the[/size]ories about the corporate elite controlling society from the shadows being true—i.e it flattered your politics. Human Revolution was about discrimination, and that was not to your taste, so you weren’t interested; you picked apart the idea of augmentation as a basis for discrimination, but you felt little need to pick apart the conspiracy theories in the original. So using the idea of augmented people being discriminated against as a signpost for discrimination in our society is no good because it’s not realistic; but using conspiracy theories as a signpost for the problematic concentration of power around the wealthy in our society is A-OK, even if those conspiracy theories are unrealistic.
Look, I don't know if you're doing it on purpose, but the reality is what you're doing is gaslighting. We're not going to have a productive conversation from that.

You say "I felt little need to pick apart the conspiracy theories from the original." Is that what you call me quoting Eisenhower, giving figures on the military industrial complex, large media conglomerate merging, analyzing the shift in terrorism coverage, and how new institutions were formed and constitutional rights were altered after. If that's not picking things apart enough, I think you'll have to look elsewhere for more serious coverage of a videogame.

The original had MANY themes, conspiracy theories being one of them. I outright dismissed some things as "fun game stuff" when talking about the stories, not meant to be taken very seriously and said as much in the video. Things like the greys, augmentation, giant mechs, exploding men in black, etc. For the most part, the game didn't take those elements very seriously either. I'd say the game took themes like terrorism, poverty, disease, role of government power, etc. more seriously and I tried to touch on some of those also. I WAS critical of things like the police tactics, as I was in Human Revolution also.

In Human Revolution, it basically just had ONE theme, transhumanism, with discrimination being a part of that. I didn't think the premise was very believable, so I was critical of it because the game itself was treating it seriously. Even if I was suspending my disbelief however, I found the human behavior unbelievable also, so I found it failing on both levels. Hacking for example, was more of a fun game element, which neither the game nor I took very seriously, thus I wasn't critical of it. The clothing is an example where by itself, would simply be a fun game element, but in a prequel, it was a clear divergence from the source material thematically. I only took apart the theme of augmentation because the game itself took it so seriously. It's not the theme of discrimination I have a problem with, it's handling it poorly as a sole theme in an already established franchise that was known for a more multi-dimensional look at the world.

The basis of your argument so far is attributing things to me that I didn't do when I did do them, or that I did do when I didn't do them. Again, I'm not saying you're doing this intentionally, but you're basically characterizing me as someone else in your mind, then arguing that. That's not an honest way of conducting a conversation, I don't really see the point of continuing this if that's your approach.

And again, we have sort of a less direct form of gaslighting.

First off, Euro Truck Simulator 2 sold 4.5 million copies. I would not call that "extremely niche", and it undermines your other points, but it's clear you thought I was talking about the original at 300k copies, so fine, let's go with that. Your original statements say:

"Surely, you must realize that almost no one plays driving games to aimlessly drive through the environments, no matter how nice they are."

"For most people (at least the ones this game was aimed at) if they wanted to go on a road trip they would just go on one."

but then you go and say:

"I didn’t say that that wasn’t the target demographic, just that you really shouldn’t be surprised it isn’t very big."

You JUST SAID the people that this game was aimed at are people who don't care about driving around aimlessly in the environment, then you reply and say you DIDN'T say that people who care about the environment aren't the target demographic. Well logically, they CAN'T be the target demographic if they're not being aimed at, in your words. Except, now you're saying the exact opposite, and claiming you didn't say anything to the contrary, except you did.

This is gaslighting. At best, you're being hypocritical and strawmanning me without meaning to. At worst, you're just trolling. Either way, this isn't how you conduct an honest conversation, so I'm not going further with it. I'll never convince you the sky is blue if you see it as green and are claiming I said it's red.

I originally tried to address some of points you talked about on HR, but I realize this is just an endless spiral.

You’re right about The Crew, that was my bad, What I should’ve said was “the demographic that most driving games are aimed at.” I suppose I was wrong about the extent of the demographic for this sort of driving game.

I am not trolling and I was trying to have a discussion in good faith, but now you’ve accused me of deliberately trying to drive you insane. I don’t come here to be insulted, so I’m done with this conversation.

My little gaming blog

Well now that that drama is over can we get back to the more pressing issue. The release of less compressed version of this video! How about the 10GB or 5GB version Ross?

I just think it's kinda fucked up in a way, sheesh it's just some random internet forum, I never knew people could get that low over a game.

I was by no means trying to gaslight anyone.

Alright, my apologies. FWIW I actually agree with you in that it seems a large portion of my fanbase seems less critical. I try my best not to take that for granted. People are free to challenge any of my claims, but I don't like having my statements misrepresented either if you follow the difference. In other words, I don't like being attacked for what I never said.

The release of less compressed version of this video! How about the 10GB or 5GB version Ross?
I guess I'll just release the 10GB version, I can see the compression on parts in the 5GB copy. Even the 10GB probably has some minor loss, but I'm sure it's night and day compared to Youtube. I may host it elsewhere since things are going to be changing soon on the site. I'll release it and the green screen segment people wanted in a couple days and have a post here.

I just think it's kinda fucked up in a way, sheesh it's just some random internet forum, I never knew people could get that low over a game.

I was by no means trying to gaslight anyone.

Alright, my apologies.

The release of less compressed version of this video! How about the 10GB or 5GB version Ross?
I guess I'll just release the 10GB version, I can see the compression on parts in the 5GB copy. Even the 10GB probably has some minor loss, but I'm sure it's night and day compared to Youtube. I may host it elsewhere since things are going to be changing soon on the site. I'll release it and the green screen segment people wanted in a couple days and have a post here.

I’m sorry for not being more careful in the wording of my critique. I think I will probably never agree with you about HR, but I respect you as a content creator and like your stuff a lot, so the last thing I would want is for you to think I was trying to troll you.

My little gaming blog

This is gaslighting. At best, you're being hypocritical and strawmanning me without meaning to. At worst, you're just trolling.

You are talking to a person who considers himself a "game critic", despite not having played one of the most famous and praised games in gaming history, AND also considers normal to utter his views ex cathedra about a game he never even played. Turning my armchair psychologist mode on, I'd say it's not a case of trolling, but a simple delusion of grandeur. Gotta respect the Hanlon's razor.

I actually agree with you in that it seems a large portion of my fanbase seems less critical. I try my best not to take that for granted.

Lack of critique is only bad when it leads to star sickness, which is not your case (so far).

In programming they say "do not fix what is not broken", and the same applies to criticizing creators.

Your worldview happens to coincide with mine on 99%, so *I* want you to continue doing things exactly in the same way as you did during last 11 years.

This is just my opinion as a fan, one of many thousands. But here is the thing: there are so many content creators today, that if you don't quite like someone, you should just go watch someone else instead of trying to cram this certain creator into the Procrustean bed of your own tastes.

Great, I can't wait!

If you're getting significant visual artifacts at 1080p above 3gb/hr you need to check your settings, or get a different encoder. It shouldn't be giving noticeable artifacts (outside of pausing and doing frame comparisons) at that rate.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

If you're getting significant visual artifacts at 1080p above 3gb/hr you need to check your settings, or get a different encoder. It shouldn't be giving noticeable artifacts (outside of pausing and doing frame comparisons) at that rate.

I think you're speaking very generally, but I'm fine with sending a sample if you want to test it yourself. You have to understand, this is about as demanding as it gets for video compression. It's constant motion with lots of details, especially from things like grass and leaves. Due to them being hard pixels, this compresses more poorly than normal film. I'd have to be encoding static before it got worse than this. I used HIGHER video quality settings than this (RF 17) for A New Beginning, and due to its largely static content, that entire episode, with audio, was a little over 500MB. Filesize from quality based encoding varies WILDLY depending on the content.

As for my compression techniques, they're very standardized. I'm using Handbrake x264 compression with the "high" preset.

Another thing to consider is Youtube itself wasn't handling this video well at all. I've seen similar cases of other videos from The Crew.

EDIT:

I've uploaded 30 seconds of the forest driving (one of the more demanding sections) losslessly compressed using the UT video codec here (3.5GB download):

http://accursedfarms.com/temp/crew_forest_lossless.avi

The audio has been removed, so it's just the video portion. By all means tell me what compression settings I should try. Using the "high" preset at RF quality 20, that comes to about 226MB. I can still tell there's compression by looking at it (not analyzing it frame by frame, just watching it), but not distractingly so.