ROSS'S GAME DUNGEON: REQUITAL

Snip

I've considered buying a copy for some time out of curiosity, but finding a copy isn't as cheap as I would prefer. I'll consider it with my next paycheck though and report back whenever it comes in.

It does look somewhat generic but Cryo hasn't disappointed me in the past when it comes to weird games from them, plus odd clunky PS1 games are sort of my thing.

I've considered buying a copy for some time out of curiosity, but finding a copy isn't as cheap as I would prefer. I'll consider it with my next paycheck though and report back whenever it comes in.

I've tried to search for a iso, but I couldn't find it. I found plenty of sites with info but no links.

However, I did found a site with a download of the PC version. Can't post the link here because I think that would go against the forum regulations.

I've tried to search for a iso, but I couldn't find it. I found plenty of sites with info but no links.

However, I did found a site with a download of the PC version. Can't post the link here because I think that would go against the forum regulations.

Hm I'm not sure I have the technical know-how to run a PC game of that era, especially considering I'm on a mac. If it isn't on dosbox or GoG then I'll probably have trouble; that's why I'm considering the PS1 version (which is still relatively hard to find in America even in physical form). But if you can play it then by all means I would love to hear about it.

Ugh... Bad news about the PC version of Pax Corpus.

I had to download this game from 2 different sites (that apparently are the ONLY ONES that have the cd image of this game), and BOTH come with their set of problems. The first I downloaded from a russian site, and when I mounted it in a virtual drive it opened the instalation menu just fine, BUT the game refused to install saying that there wasn't enough space on the hard drive despite having (obviously) more than enough. Then I downloaded from another site (I think it's german, but I'm not sure), and this one installed. BUUUUUUUT the game had NO music (and worse, the tracks are on the image, but I'll get to that), and it crashed after the battle with Dr. Ellys (that one you can see in video I posted) and didn't played the cutscene that supposed to play after that. Then, I decided to check the game files and I think I noticed why that happened: THERE ARE CUTSCENES MISSING IN THE FILES!

And before you guys ask, the first image that I downloaded also has the same problem. The cutscenes are simple .avi files that can even play outside the game, and I noticed that only some .avis are present: The Cryo logo when you launch the game, the intro cutscene (3 times because this game is in 3 different languages), and the 2 endings. But nothing that happens in between. Addimitely, I wasn't running the game in the ideal operational system (I was running on Windows 7, this game was released for Windows 95-98), so I could've faced other problems in the long run, but that would be a matter of me learning how to emulate a older system. But when the cutscenes are missing it means that the game crashed because it couldn't play them, meaning that this game is unplayable due to missing files.

I'm afraid to say that we have another Bip Bop I & III here, and I have a theory of why this happened.

This game came at 1997, a time where many people didn't had a at least decent internet connection. So, to facilitate downloads, pirates would chop files to reduce the size of the game. I'm sure of that because I've played Day of the Tentacle and The Dig through pirate copies back in the day, and some things I still remember from them: DotT had only voice acting at the begining of the game, but after they split into the different time periods, the rest of the audio after that was only sound effects and music. And The Dig had ZERO voice acting and ZERO animated cutscenes, but everything else worked fine. What I think happened here with Pax Corpus is that the pirates removed the cutscene files, but did a sloopy job on that (The Dig worked even without it's cutscenes), but because this game was received poorly back them (and because it faded in obscurity), nobody cared, and as a result the only digital "copies" we have now where those botched ones. If someone here knows a digital pirate from that time (or WAS one, who knows?), please confirm if my theory is true. Either way, this is a true tragedy to gaming preservation.

There are some good news however. The first one is that I salvaged the soundtrack.

Yeah, for some odd reason the game have no music but I managed to extract the soundtrack files with the help of PowerISO, which shows that this game has music but it can't play because... My head hurts... Anyway, it's not special, but I think it has some neat tracks in it. If Ross is interested, I can send to him via e-mail. I wanted to actually put the tracks on Youtube, and then post on the soundtrack session of the forum, but I don't know any decent free video editor for that. I downloaded the free trial of Filmora, and while it's good, it leaves a ugly watermark. I know that I just want to share the OST, but I will not pay an video editor just for that.

The other good news is that there still are some physical copies of the PC version around: (it's illegal to post amazon/ebay links? Just asking because I didn't saw anything regarding that in the forum rules, but if that's the case you guys can delete these)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cryo-Pax-Corpus/dp/B00006YYBN

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PAX-CORPUS-HOPKINS-FBI-DOUBLE-PACK-BIG-BOX-VERSION-for-PC-RARE-COMPLETE-/271027230460?_ul=US

Dunno if these are legit regarding the good condition of the games, but unfortunately, I'm not buying these. Don't get me wrong, but I'm not a retro game collector, even if I had the money for that I would even do it. But maybe Ross can tell Clint from Lazy Games Reviews about these, especially since the second link is also packed with another obscure game.

Sorry everyone.

Edited by Kaiosama TLJ
The post became a mess with embedded link errors because it was made before the forum overhaul. (see edit history)

It's cool, good work with the soundtrack! I'll be purchasing a copy of the PSX version later today -- no guarantees as to whether it will actually work or when it will get here, but it's not a huge amount of money so I'm taking the plunge.

I'll keep you informed once I get it. I definitely plan to play through it and give you a rundown on how close it is to the original plans to adapt The Demiurge. I might record at least some of my play as well if I can figure out how, seeing as there's very little gameplay footage online.

I've figured out how to get this game working in widescreen! You were very close Ross! After changing the screen height/width in the registry there is an additional step. In the debug section change "SkipMenu" to 1. The game will automatically start a new game in widescreen, so to load previous saves you'll have to make use of quick save (F6) and quick load (F9). You have to skip the main menu because as soon as it appears in a widescreen resolution, the game will go back to non-widescreen when you try to load, resume or start a new game.

Requital.png

regedit.png