Welcome to AF 2.0

Ekke, Tomáš and I have been working on the IPB conversion for Ross's site. I'm sure there will be some issues or things you would like to see changed. I can't promise we'll implement it, but please post your findings. It's very much a work in progress for the next couple of months getting the place straightened out.

Q: Why did you update the site? The old one was fine.

A: The old site was a cross link between Wordpress and PHPBB3. Each of those platforms on their own have a litany of security bugs. The administrators had two logins to manage two separate sites essentially, and neither could be easily secured/upgraded without significant work. The new site is built off a solid, secure, tested and supported unified framework.

Additional Improvements:

• Strong anti-spam tools.
  • Fully integrated reputation system.
  • Full site SSL.
  • Slicker forums.
  • Better moderation tools.
  • Modern commercially supported framework.
  • All around better back-end security.
  • Migrated to a new dedicated VPS.
  • CloudFlare integrated.
  • Responsive web design, 99% mobile friendly.
  • Better caching for quicker loading.
  • Better search functions.
  • Better embedding.
  • And more...

In short, the new site is better than the old site in most ways, but we're still looking for feedback. We very much want an upgrade in all things. Let us know if we overlooked something.

Any estimate on when we'll be able to change avatars again, and if we'll ever have the option to change our display names?

Also the reaction system doesn't seem to be fully functioning at the moment

the name's riley

18 hours ago, Username said:

Any estimate on when we'll be able to change avatars again, and if we'll ever have the option to change our display names?

Also the reaction system doesn't seem to be fully functioning at the moment

You should be able to change your avatar now by going to your profile, and clicking this button:

image.png

Let me know if you can't. I think you should be able to play with your display name. Let me check into it now. The reaction system is bare bones but we will add more after Ross makes something up. Let me check the perms.

I believe the links on the Extras page should be sorted newest first, and the Videos page is reporting that I do not have permission to view the page.

Also, I don't have that Profile Photo button on my profile.  I can add a "Cover Photo", but that isn't an avatar.

Edited by ReverendTed (see edit history)

Do you not want to see signatures in threads anymore?  Check under Account Settings - Signature and turn off "View Signatures".  You can also click the X to the right of this signature and select "Hide All Signatures".  You're welcome!

8 minutes ago, ReverendTed said:

I believe the links on the Extras page should be sorted newest first, and the Videos page is reporting that I do not have permission to view the page.

Also, I don't have that Profile Photo button on my profile.  I can add a "Cover Photo", but that isn't an avatar.

I will keep tweaking the settings, you should be able to set the avatar. Let me know when you can.

Hello, this is Ekke Tõnisson, one of the other site developers for this update. I did almost all of the front-end, Sean (The Britain) is the sysadmin, and Tomas created the Extras and FAQ pages, but he has gotten busy since then. I'm also in charge of transferring the articles over to the new system, which has been the main bottleneck for this site getting finished. (It's been taking so long because unlike the forums, there is no standard way of migrating the Wordpress articles to the Invision system.) I hope to get it done soon, within about two days.

How do we PM someone on the forums?  I've looked around but can't seem to find that setting.  Maybe I'm looking at it but not seeing it.

Thanks for all of your hard work getting the site back up and running! 

4 minutes ago, danielsangeo said:

How do we PM someone on the forums?  I've looked around but can't seem to find that setting.  Maybe I'm looking at it but not seeing it.

Thanks for all of your hard work getting the site back up and running! 

The "Message" button (in people's user pages and the hovercard) should work, along with the envelope button in the userbar at the top. The inbox is a bit broken at the moment, but I'll sort it out later.

I noticed no more animated avatars... That's sad. But at least we can link to avatar images from an outside site. (the 590kb file size limit is absurdly small)

[EDIT] Also, I miss being able to compare my post count against that of others.

Edited by BTGBullseye
Because I wanted to test the edit functionality. (see edit history)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

6 hours ago, BTGBullseye said:

(the 590kb file size limit is absurdly small)

It's now been changed to a max of 1.44MB. I can't see an image with a maximum size of 110x110 taking up more space, but feel free to prove me wrong.

5 hours ago, Steve the Pocket said:

Did you lose a bunch of threads from the old forum? I'm seeing brand new threads being created for a lot of episodes that I know we had discussions about.

Those will disappear as we merge out, we're importing missing articles and videos from the front page and video page.

[repost of the post in the other thread]

All the posts (except for the latest Dead Game News article, which wasn't in the archive) have been re-added! This did take a while longer than I expected, but I'd say that it's all worth it. (During the migration process of the 495-odd articles, I only had 2 errors.) The videos page has also launched alongside it.

4 minutes ago, John Dracup said:

Ditto; loving the new site. Thanks for putting it all together!

Hey we’re glad to hear it.

On 10/18/2018 at 5:03 AM, ekket said:

It's now been changed to a max of 1.44MB. I can't see an image with a maximum size of 110x110 taking up more space, but feel free to prove me wrong.

I appreciate it. A single double sided 3.5' floppy is much better than a subcompact EEPROM.

Also, I most definitely can make a 110x110 that exceeds 1.44mb, but I won't. ;)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Hiya,

I love the new website design.  Thanks for all the work that undoubtedly went into recreating the site! 

"Life is about learning; when you stop learning, you die." -- Clancy