The Crew - Road Trip Meet Up \ Tour Guide?

Sign in to follow this  

Would anyone be up for a road trip in The Crew? I'm not sure if we could get more than eight people in one session, and I was sort of wondering, who should lead, what sort of pace we should have (slow, fast, follow the slowest lead's pace?), what sort of roads or locations we could go through, and if the game even would work with more than eight people at once. Should all cars be driving at stock settings? Should the slowest car in the pack lead? Should we take breaks at key locations, to allow people to take photos, maybe even to just explore the area around us? Like a bunch of virtual tourists.

The lead could just act as our tour guide, if you like the idea. Beats driving around aimlessly.

I always play with no HUD, and no UI. Should all players disable the HUD?

I have a stock, drift kit RX-7, I levelled it up by accident, so it sits at around a power level of 550~, by default I have a pretty slow car than most people.

The group might need to stick closely togheter, but maybe if we are lucky, we could have multiple groups, with 4 players each. You can invite up to four players in your crew, in order to hopefully keep them in your session, as long as the game, hopefully doesn't bug out. For being an online only game, this game is not stable at all as far as grouping up goes. I often had players going permanently invisible, even when I had them in my crew, and there was nothing I could do about it.

That's a problem which needs to be taken into account. If we split up too far along, we might all end up bugging out.

Along the way, who knows what we could possibly find. It could be an extremely fun thing to do.

Di5ez5z.jpg

BUeNiyA.jpg

I would like to do this before the game gets killed off if possible. It's inevitable. Sadly. Even my AMERICAN couch won't save me.

HRwumcE.jpg

Here are some potentially fun locations we could visit during the trip. I don't want to post more as I don't want to spoil too much.

Z2N5zSt.jpg

vAFFy89.jpg

Edited by RaTcHeT302

9 hours ago, BTGBullseye said:

I would if it didn't require 15gb to look and run terrible on my system for unknown reasons.

I have a Ryzen 1700, and an R9 380, plus 32 GB of RAM @ 2133 Mhz (at the time, this much memory, was only 100£), what graphics settings are you running it with? I know that you probably already lowered your settings, but I'll ask just in case. If you have a TV with VGA input, you might get away by playing at 1366x768 \ 1280x720, as it should look as sharp as a normal 1080p resolution. At least it does on my TV (extremelly handy for games which just run badly no matter what).

I think The Crew really favours my Ryzen though, I've had a far better framerate, on my Ryzen 1700, than on my Intel i5 6500. I wonder if it has something to do with the 16 threads. I only had 4 cores, 4 threads on my Intel.

I'm really perplexed, because I was not expecting a downright performance improvement, people kept saying that these AMD CPUs were "worse" at gaming, (which never made any sense to me, nor was it backed up by any real facts), but here I am with The Crew, always hitting 60 FPS at 1080p. Before it used to just randomly stutter and drop into the 40s. It microstutters like a bitch though. And if I start playing at 2K+ resolutions, to fix the bad antialiasing, I get frame drops again, blah. I've seen this game with proper antialiasing, and not being able to play like that really pisses me off, but thankfully I can ignore jagged lines after a while, my eyes just sort of blur them out if I get immersed enough, don't know why, it's handy though.

Clock speeds aren't even that much higher if anything. I really think it might have something to do with the threads, or the extra cores. I don't remember if I ever hit 100% usage in the game. But for some odd reason my game does run way better than it used to.

Could it just be the extra cache? I don't see how the extra cores could help, maybe more threads (or faster threads? because the cpu is faster by default? from the cache? is that how threads work? aren't they the same speed all the time? I honestly don't know - I'm thinking about software threads, don't know anything about CPU ones, or if they exist) and more cache are what helped. As in, literally throwing more hardware into a software issue. Yaay? I'm a bit ignorant on the topic either way. I feel like I have a lot of gaps, so I cannot really accurately pin point what helped.

I thought CPUs didn't have "physical threads", and that was just a thing software did, so I don't know all the details. From what I've seen, threads are usually just a bunch of instructions, executed separately. So nothing overly unusual there, not the black magic most people talk about, so I don't know. I'm really betting on the cache, I don't think it being the threads makes sense to me.

dEDlbBg.png

Uhhh, this game runs like ass for no reason either way.

Edited by RaTcHeT302

I'm running a 5 year old low-end gaming laptop that has 6 year old hardware apart from the SSD which is less than 2 years old... A GT630m GPU and a 1600x900 screen does not allow for good gaming on a title like The Crew. (the CPU doesn't matter when the GPU is the bottleneck)

Edited by BTGBullseye

7 minutes ago, BTGBullseye said:

I'm running a 5 year old low-end gaming laptop that has 6 year old hardware apart from the SSD which is less than 2 years old... A GT630m GPU and a 1600x900 screen does not allow for good gaming on a title like The Crew. (the CPU doesn't matter when the GPU is the bottleneck)

Ah, oops. I'm a moron. Sorry. The Crew is not the most well made game either way.

I played Dead Space on a low end laptop. The framerate going into the 20s when the CPU reached 80 degrees, was the scariest thing by far. That thing was so hot you could burn your hands on the keyboard. Not fun.

It actually ran really well, but after 10 minutes, it just overheated, and the framerate went to hell.

Edited by RaTcHeT302

Well, I don't have overheating or throttling problems, I make sure of that with everything from the best thermal compound, all the way to custom heatsinks if need be.

1 minute ago, BTGBullseye said:

Well, I don't have overheating or throttling problems, I make sure of that with everything from the best thermal compound, all the way to custom heatsinks if need be.

I had some Toshiba laptop. It's impossible to open up, you have to literally disassemble the whole thing.

It doesn't sadly have an easy to access fan slot.

Edited by RaTcHeT302

I don't know if anyone is interested in the road trip, but I've found a potential starting location. I like the water park area, but if you think we can do better, post your suggestions. Ideally keep it around the starter area.

We could do the clown area as an alternative instead. It's really close to the starting area, but, we'd be stuck on highways for a bit, until the next landmark.

Maybe the (fun early spoiler, don't read if you didn't explore everything)

Spoiler

giant cow

would be okay

2ODmcOL.png

On 11/3/2018 at 7:45 AM, BTGBullseye said:

Those are the ones most in need of the treatment, that way you only have to do it once.

Already did that, would rather avoid laptops in the future either way.

My dad took it for himself anyway. His problem now. He doesn't play games on it, so it should be ok.

Edited by RaTcHeT302

I hear ya about not wanting to do laptops anymore. I don't plan on another one myself, despite mine all being excellent little machines that are still ticking away. (a 2010 Dell Studio 1558, and a 2012 Lenovo G780)