French RIots and the Control of Information

Sign in to follow this  

I find it interesting that, at least in my experience, most of the coverage for the riots happening in France is dead in water. So much more weight is being on Trump's latest buffoonery that you'd have to scroll to page 3 for news about the situation in Paris, but if this was a colored revolution in a vilified country on the other side of the (figurative) world it will splattered across every headline.   

We're living in the information age. What does that mean, really? Can the flow of history be shaped by gag orders and rhetoric?

Edited by Im_CIA

It's mostly due to the fact that domestic news holds much higher priority over foreign news. When Trump acts like a jackass that affects me a great deal more than when Macron acts like a jackass, since I'm an American, not a Parisian.

That said, Macron is a jackass. Better than Le Pen but still a jackass.

Hmm, but do you remember how much coverage the Arab Spring received? That wasn't domestic. 

Maybe this is the onset of paranoid schizophrenia, but I believe that globalization has laid the groundwork for consolidated narratives , which can sweep away all other dissenting voices, to form organically. 

I'll correct myself there, domestic OR important domestically.

I think there's been a proportional increase in the scope of the France riots along with the amount of people on this end of the world figuring out what's happening.