Machinima Is Dead?

Uh... well that sucks.

Least we still got this.

Rest in peace all those good videos. This is what happens when you allow one moron to control everything. Everyone suffers.

Edited by RaTcHeT302

On 1/19/2019 at 11:21 AM, RaTcHeT302 said:

Uh... well that sucks.

Least we still got this.

Rest in peace all those good videos. This is what happens when you allow one moron to control everything. Everyone suffers.

I've rebuilt GG from the ground up and I'm slowly re-adding everything. So that's at-least a WIP catalog.

https://gorillagong.com/

1 hour ago, The Britain said:

I've rebuilt GG from the ground up and I'm slowly re-adding everything. So that's at-least a WIP catalog.

https://gorillagong.com/

Is there a way to download videos from Gorilla Gong? Or do I still have to use YouTube DL?

Ooh OK Britain.  I'll start taking a look. 

Are the dates on the donation history on the site correct?  If so this has been online longer than I realised.

2 hours ago, RaTcHeT302 said:

Is there a way to download videos from Gorilla Gong? Or do I still have to use YouTube DL?

GG doesn't host the videos, they're still Youtube embeds. 

For GG to provide ways to download videos it would need to both rehost and consult the individual video licences (or contact the authors).  This is a large cost + manual task, probably not something in its current goals.

Edited by Veyrdite

Not hosted, but if you could have a button, which links to an external service, which can download the videos for you automatically.

I wouldn't really want to have that on an official website, but, that's the idea anyway, more or less.

Pretty much embedding something like YouTube DL into the website itself. So that it can run the commands it needs to, in order to get the YouTube videos themselves. I don't really know how to word this, sorry if it's not too clear.

Edited by RaTcHeT302

5 hours ago, Veyrdite said:

Ooh OK Britain.  I'll start taking a look. 

Are the dates on the donation history on the site correct?  If so this has been online longer than I realised.

GG doesn't host the videos, they're still Youtube embeds. 

For GG to provide ways to download videos it would need to both rehost and consult the individual video licences (or contact the authors).  This is a large cost + manual task, probably not something in its current goals.

This is correct.

4 hours ago, RaTcHeT302 said:

Not hosted, but if you could have a button, which links to an external service, which can download the videos for you automatically.

I wouldn't really want to have that on an official website, but, that's the idea anyway, more or less.

Pretty much embedding something like YouTube DL into the website itself. So that it can run the commands it needs to, in order to get the YouTube videos themselves. I don't really know how to word this, sorry if it's not too clear.

I can't do this due to the complications of contacting the authors to make sure having that link is ok. Some authors may take offense to me making their content downloadable, even through a third party. Not to mention that those services are always being disabled by Google and it would be a pain to keep up with it. However, I do like this software since it can download multiple videos/playlist at once, and it comes with a handy interface, so no more command line.

https://github.com/MrS0m30n3/youtube-dl-gui

28 minutes ago, The Britain said:

However, I do like this software since it can download multiple videos/playlist at once, and it comes with a handy interface, so no more command line.

Not bad, but there's no choice for resolution, or quality of the converted files... I prefer http://www.youtubedownloaderhd.com myself... For conversion to audio, I just use dBpoweramp and convert the video after download.

Edited by BTGBullseye

56 minutes ago, The Britain said:

I can't do this due to the complications of contacting the authors to make sure having that link is ok. Some authors may take offense to me making their content downloadable, even through a third party. Not to mention that those services are always being disabled by Google and it would be a pain to keep up with it. However, I do like this software since it can download multiple videos/playlist at once, and it comes with a handy interface, so no more command line.

Thanks, but I was already aware of that program.

I had to stop using the GUI, seeing as it stopped working for me, and I learned how to use the YouTube DL commands anyway. I just setup a .bat file, which reads a text file (Music.txt, Video.txt), I paste the links in the text files, I run the Video.bat or Music.bat files, and it does everything by itself.

Download Music.bat

Spoiler
:: Downloading Music
:: 1. Open Music.txt
:: 2. Type the Links of the Desired YouTube Videos

:: For Playlists - Use Any Video, From the Playlist Itself - Or Use the Playlist Link Itself
:: For Normal Videos - Use Any Normal Link from the Browser's Adress Bar - Delete Anything After the "&" to Remove From Playlists

:: Windows Quirks
:: Using the Root Drive, Because of the Character Path Limit, Can Cause Hidden Errors, Difficult to Spot
:: Avoid Long Names, Avoid Long Paths - Videos Might Silently Fail to Download Otherwise

:: Using the Double Percenteage Signs to Get the Command Line to Work 

:: Example 
:: "-O "%%(Title)s.%%(Extension)s"
:: Lonely Percenteage Signs, Are Treated As Variables by Windows, Make Them Not Lonely

:: %CD% - Finds the Starting Path, Finds the Local Path

:: System Requirements
:: Install "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 (x86).exe" from the Dependencies if the Flles Don't Download
:: If Everything Error Out, Update YouTube DL - Video Platforms Update Often

:: FF MPEG and FF Probe are Required to Convert the Videos to Audio Files, They Are Included in the Binaries Folder
:: If the Files Fail to Convert, Update FF MPEG and FF Probe, From the Official Website

:: Parameters Explanation

:: Playlist_Title
:: Creates a Folder, With the Name of the Playlist
:: Lonely YouTube Videos, Without Playlists, Are Saved in the "NA" Folder

:: Playlist_Index
:: Adds the Playlist Number, Some Videos Are Not Always Numbered
:: Makes Ordering Videos, Less Annoying

:: Title
:: Adds the Name of the Video
:: Sometimes Videos Have the Same Name

:: ID 
:: Adds the Video ID, From the YouTube Link
:: Stops Videos With the Same Name, From Being Overwritten
:: Stops Completely Different Videos, From Being Lost

:: EXT 
:: File Extension (Default is MP3 - Set in Audio-Format)

:: General Idea
:: Trying to Minimize Errors and File Conflicts - Trying to Make Sure that All Files are Downloaded Correctly

Start "YouTube Downloader (Command Line)" "%CD%\Binaries\YouTube Downloader (Command Line).exe" youtube-dl --output "Music\%%(playlist_title)s (%%(playlist_id)s)\%%(playlist_index)s %%(title)s - ID (%%(id)s).%%(ext)s" --extract-audio --audio-format "mp3" --audio-quality 0 --batch-file "Music.txt"

Download Video.bat

Spoiler
:: Downloading Videos
:: 1. Open Videos.txt
:: 2. Type the Links of the Desired YouTube Videos

:: For Playlists - Use Any Video, From the Playlist Itself - Or Use the Playlist Link Itself
:: For Normal Videos - Use Any Normal Link from the Browser's Adress Bar - Delete Anything After the "&" to Remove From Playlists

:: Windows Quirks
:: Using the Root Drive, Because of the Character Path Limit, Can Cause Hidden Errors, Difficult to Spot
:: Avoid Long Names, Avoid Long Paths - Videos Might Silently Fail to Download Otherwise

:: Using the Double Percenteage Signs to Get the Command Line to Work 

:: Example 
:: "-O "%%(Title)s.%%(Extension)s"
:: Lonely Percenteage Signs, Are Treated As Variables by Windows, Make Them Not Lonely

:: %CD% - Finds the Starting Path, Finds the Local Path

:: System Requirements
:: Install "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 (x86).exe" from the Dependencies if the Flles Don't Download
:: If Everything Error Out, Update YouTube DL - Video Platforms Update Often

:: FF MPEG and FF Probe are Required to Convert the Videos to Audio Files, They Are Included in the Binaries Folder
:: If the Files Fail to Convert, Update FF MPEG and FF Probe, From the Official Website

:: Parameters Explanation

:: Playlist_Title
:: Creates a Folder, With the Name of the Playlist
:: Lonely YouTube Videos, Without Playlists, Are Saved in the "NA" Folder

:: Playlist_Index
:: Adds the Playlist Number, Some Videos Are Not Always Numbered
:: Makes Ordering Videos, Less Annoying

:: Title
:: Adds the Name of the Video
:: Sometimes Videos Have the Same Name

:: ID 
:: Adds the Video ID, From the YouTube Link
:: Stops Videos With the Same Name, From Being Overwritten
:: Stops Completely Different Videos, From Being Lost

:: EXT 
:: File Extension (Default is MP3 - Set in Audio-Format)

:: General Idea
:: Trying to Minimize Errors and File Conflicts - Trying to Make Sure that All Files are Downloaded Correctly

Start "YouTube Downloader (Command Line)" "%CD%\Binaries\YouTube Downloader (Command Line).exe" youtube-dl --output "Video\%%(playlist_title)s (%%(playlist_id)s)\%%(playlist_index)s %%(title)s - ID (%%(id)s).%%(ext)s" --batch-file "Videos.txt"

Some of the comments might be wrong or outdated, but this is my basic setup.

If YouTube DL fails, I just record the audio manually with Audacity. I avoid using websites to download or convert YouTube videos, they are often ad ridden, and they always get shutdown. Also if I have to record a video, I'll just use FRAPS to capture the footage.

I got options for now, and as long as they work, more brute forcey solutions, don't bother me too much.

Edited by RaTcHeT302

33 minutes ago, BTGBullseye said:

Not bad, but there's no choice for resolution, or quality of the converted files... I prefer http://www.youtubedownloaderhd.com myself... For conversion to audio, I just use dBpoweramp and convert the video after download.

Thanks for the link!

11 minutes ago, RaTcHeT302 said:

Thanks, but I was already aware of that program.

I had to stop using the GUI, seeing as it stopped working for me, and I learned how to use the YouTube DL commands anyway. I just setup a .bat file, which reads a text file (Music.txt, Video.txt), I paste the links in the text files, I run the Video.bat or Music.bat files, and it does everything by itself.

Download Music.bat

Reveal hidden contents

Download Video.bat

Reveal hidden contents

Some of the comments might be wrong or outdated, but this is my basic setup.

If YouTube DL fails, I just record the audio manually with Audacity. I avoid using websites to download or convert YouTube videos, they are often ad ridden, and they always get shutdown. Also if I have to record a video, I'll just use FRAPS to capture the footage.

I got options for now, and as long as they work, more brute forcey solutions, don't bother me too much.

Hey nice, the UI is working for me if that's any help. I use ublock origin and I don't deal with malicious ads anymore.

Not in that sense, honestly I'm just really paranoid, I don't really trust a random website, which forces me to download a file, just to get my stuff. I don't know how an .mp3 file could be manipulated, and I would rather be safe than sorry. I already use uBlock Origin either way, but I'm just afraid of hit and run attacks, or strange exploits nobody really knows about. It sounds stupid but, I think the fear is justified in some cases. I'm just listening to my gut feeling either way.

I'll check the YouTube DL GUI project again in the future, if I have problems with the command line YouTube DL.

I would recommend that to most people instead also, seeing as it has a smaller learning curve.

Edited by RaTcHeT302