Congress is trying to make an effort to prohibit gambling in video games

https://www.hawley.senate.gov/sites/default/files/2019-05/2019-05-08_Protecting-Children-Abusive-Games-Act_One-Pager.pdf

Joshua David Hawley, a Republican Senator from Missouri, is proposing an act that will prohibit lootboxes and other predatory gambling practices within the games industry. I saw this on a Discord server, so I wanted to read your opinion about this. Will this act affect the entire U.S video game industry, or is it too broad and vague to make a dent?

Loot boxes are meh. It's the same reason I don't gamble. If I'm going to lose $20, I'd rather spend it on a sure thing.

Man, that's at least stupid. It's quite interesting for me, why do they have to do this? What's the point, what's the reason for! It’s interesting for me how they have motivated this idea. Hmm, we think that gambling in video games is bad because if you gamble in video games then you will start gambling in reality. The point is that actually, I would agree to prohibit places like lucky nugget. It’s dangerous here, especially for addictive people and you can really lose a lot of money. What will you lose if you gamble in video games? Let me think, time. Yeah, time is the most valuable thing to lose if you will gamble in video games. Weird decision!

Edited by evetir (see edit history)

I don't think it's wrong at all to prevent lootbox practices in games, many countries do it already and they haven't exactly collapsed. The thing people need to realize is that it's not going to hurt the business of any company worth protecting. Most predatory practices are kept up by game companies that already have fucktons of money and see this as a way to get more because they're greedy bastards. It's not going to bankrupt your small indie devs.

At its least effective it would signal a move to more concrete microtransactions, just being able to buy a cosmetic rather than buy a chance to get one, and that's still a lot better.

Enerjax (Enerjak) ((Dimitri)) (((Finitevus))) ((((Pir'Oth Ix)))) (((((Leprechauns)))))

4 hours ago, kerdios said:

I wonder if this bill was ever even introduced to congress or got buried under the legislation needed for the covid crisis. 🤔

That is a very good question. I can't find anything about it.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.