Jump to content

ROSS'S BIG GAME LIST

Recommended Posts

The real truth is... I just don't have the patience to play videogames anymore. Even the ones that look good.

Share this post


Link to post

Has anyone here ever heard of Backloggery? I used to use it as a way to keep track of my games that I haven't played yet, Ross's Games List reminds me of it quite a bit!

Share this post


Link to post

Wow. Surprised Celeste isn't on the list. Good idea, though! I'll probably take a look at this every now and again...

Share this post


Link to post

Damn. I see some of the games on the list that I've played and I am sure Ross will hate. I want to make bets on eventual-if-ever rating now.

 

But really I guess I am just grabbing every adventure on the list. There is plenty I've never seen and look promising.

Share this post


Link to post

Ross in the thumbnail looks VERY creepy.

As if he was going to eat our souls in one single bite... That or he's the gatekeeper of the Dungeon as well as the owner.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I went to sleep and this thread exploded for some reason.

 

Anyway I always did something similar, I have two text files, one for movies I want to check out, and one for games I want to check out. It's a biiiiig list.

Edited by RaTcHeT302

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Webworm said:

Hey, I'm new here too and I doubt anyone would mind you making a thread like that. I've just avoided posting in the giant threads where it's obvious some sort of clique has formed because it'd feel like I'm walking in on a group of friends conversing and saying something that'd offend everyone without even knowing it.

 

If there is one, I don't know what it is either, so don't worry about it.  My main rule is not to have personal insults or stuff that's trying to be really obnoxious (even then, it depends on context).  It's possible I've been so negligent on the forums a sub culture has emerged I don't even know about, so definitely don't worry about cliques.

3 hours ago, sprite said:

Wow. Surprised Celeste isn't on the list. Good idea, though! I'll probably take a look at this every now and again...

Celeste is a perfect example of "almost."  My impression was the gameplay and art looked solid, but it looked like it was dipping into the "emotional story" territory which I'd just as soon pass on.  Someone I know thinks it's the best platformer he's ever played based on gameplay though, so maybe I'll cave in on it eventually.  "Dad Quest" was another almost.

7 hours ago, Im_CIA said:

The real truth is... I just don't have the patience to play videogames anymore. Even the ones that look good.

Ah well, the list won't help with that.  I have patience, but it varies, there's a reason a lot of 4x games that I haven't played are on the list. I've heard mental challenges help against Alzheimer's, I think a lot of 4x games may turn into "retirement" games for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Shame I didn't see Secret Weapons Over Normandy on the list. (Totally not an obligatory statement since I posted in obscure games on it.) Although I don't think he'd like it very much. Maybe flight arcade games aren't his thing, I don't know. Though I will admit the game can be a bit over-dramatic at times. I still liked it though.

9 hours ago, TONYOO101 said:

I'm actually kinda surprised Ross wasn't interested in Night in the Woods.  You find a dismembered hand in the street within your first day in town, and there's this over-arching story some missing people and a mysterious cult. As much as the grievances he listed was valid, I figured he would be hooked by that cult stuff. 

I thought it was kind of depressing. I mean the whole concept is kind of depressing. The music slaps though. But I don't know if it's Ross' style of music. Anyways it's just one of those games that takes a while to kick in. I think of it as a game that's better for people that don't quite understand what mental disorders can do. Or really a game for people who need coping.

Edited by Kraken
Adding a response.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Ross Scott said:

If there is one, I don't know what it is either, so don't worry about it.  My main rule is not to have personal insults or stuff that's trying to be really obnoxious (even then, it depends on context).  It's possible I've been so negligent on the forums a sub culture has emerged I don't even know about, so definitely don't worry about cliques.

Hey, I could be wrong. I've only taken a look at the "Random Thread" in the Free For All section, and there was some sort of artist depiction of what I assume to be are a group of forum regulars. Chances are even if it's a clique, I doubt the people here are malicious or hostile.

 

By the way, thanks for the game list. It's going to help a lot in finding adventure games in the style of Still Life and whatnot, which is a genre I've been interested in.

Edited by Webworm

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Webworm said:

Hey, I could be wrong. I've only taken a look at the "Random Thread" in the Free For All section, and there was some sort of artist depiction of what I assume to be are a group of forum regulars. Chances are even if it's a clique, I doubt the people here are malicious or hostile.

 

By the way, thanks for the game list. It's going to help a lot in finding adventure games in the style of Still Life and whatnot, which is a genre I've been interested in.

I don't know any of the forum posters here personally. I generally avoid those types of threads anyway, they are not really my thing anyway. I personally just ignore them, if it's not really relevant to something I care about to be honest. I'm just posting here occasionally out of boredom mostly. Or to play games when they get hosted, if it's my type of game anyway.

 

I don't think anyone will be bothered if you make your own threads anyway. I mean that's the whole point of a forum.

Edited by RaTcHeT302

Share this post


Link to post

Although I understand that this isn't the point of the list, and I don't know how much effort it would take to implement this feature, and the list itself isn't very big (yet);

But it would be cool to see a search function where you could type in the name of your game to see whether it made it into Ross's list. I see some people are already discussing how some of their favorite games aren't in the list. I bet it's probably more because they're interested in what the list exposes about Ross's tastes, rather than the games themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Just so you know, I clicked the steam link for Kings and Heroes and it's apparently no longer available on Steam. It would be unreasonable to expect you to keep up on such developments, but I thought I'd just put that out there.

Edited by Wwen

Share this post


Link to post

Nice list, not just contents but the list itself as well. I'm glad to see a screenshot right away like that and having it in pages is fine too (I'm not a fan of many things in modern GUI either).

Some of these I already own on GOG, others I passed.  There is definitely too many good games and an insane amount of games which caught my interest. I would normally be fine even with flash games (which are underappreciated in my opinion) but I became very picky by necessity. Even then I'm saving most slow/turn-based games for retirement...

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Mousazz said:

Although I understand that this isn't the point of the list, and I don't know how much effort it would take to implement this feature, and the list itself isn't very big (yet);

But it would be cool to see a search function where you could type in the name of your game to see whether it made it into Ross's list. I see some people are already discussing how some of their favorite games aren't in the list. I bet it's probably more because they're interested in what the list exposes about Ross's tastes, rather than the games themselves.

There is a search feature, in the top right corner of the website.

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, ekket said:

There is a search feature, in the top right corner of the website.

I'm pretty sure he meant a search feature made specifically for the Games List. The one you're talking about isn't integrated with the Games List, it's for the entire website.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, General Custard said:

I'm pretty sure he meant a search feature made specifically for the Games List. The one you're talking about isn't integrated with the Games List, it's for the entire website.

Yeah, you can search across the whole site but you can also search for games only (specifying the content type); I personally think that having another searchbar that serves the same purpose is a little redundant.

 

EDIT: Perhaps it could be made more obvious, but I don't have any good ideas for that.

Edited by ekket

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

q0cS95B.png

 

you could add a checkbox for just games, but i don't know how to make it more obvious

you could replace "search..." with something along the lines of "Search the Game List or the Forum Stuff" (i can't think of anything better)

 

wyyopbC.png

game list or forum search

Edited by RaTcHeT302

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, ekket said:

Yeah, you can search across the whole site but you can also search for games only (specifying the content type); I personally think that having another searchbar that serves the same purpose is a little redundant.

 

EDIT: Perhaps it could be made more obvious, but I don't have any good ideas for that.

 

I didn't notice that it had the ability to filter searches to games only, my mistake. Now that I know that, you make a good point it's kind of unnecessary to add another one. I'd say the search bar is noticeable enough, no need to change it.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, General Custard said:

I didn't notice that it had the ability to filter searches to games only, my mistake. Now that I know that, you make a good point it's kind of unnecessary to add another one. I'd say the search bar is noticeable enough, no need to change it.

they could change the placeholder text to make it extremely obvious, i think it would be a good design improvement

 

wyyopbC.png&key=8d9d6a4ec0b06842f3288162

Edited by RaTcHeT302

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in the community.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.