ROSS'S BIG GAME LIST

The real truth is... I just don't have the patience to play videogames anymore. Even the ones that look good.

"Fleet Intelligence Coming Online"

Has anyone here ever heard of Backloggery? I used to use it as a way to keep track of my games that I haven't played yet, Ross's Games List reminds me of it quite a bit!

Wow. Surprised Celeste isn't on the list. Good idea, though! I'll probably take a look at this every now and again...

Damn. I see some of the games on the list that I've played and I am sure Ross will hate. I want to make bets on eventual-if-ever rating now.

But really I guess I am just grabbing every adventure on the list. There is plenty I've never seen and look promising.

Ross in the thumbnail looks VERY creepy.

As if he was going to eat our souls in one single bite... That or he's the gatekeeper of the Dungeon as well as the owner.

7 hours ago, Webworm said:

Hey, I'm new here too and I doubt anyone would mind you making a thread like that. I've just avoided posting in the giant threads where it's obvious some sort of clique has formed because it'd feel like I'm walking in on a group of friends conversing and saying something that'd offend everyone without even knowing it.

If there is one, I don't know what it is either, so don't worry about it.  My main rule is not to have personal insults or stuff that's trying to be really obnoxious (even then, it depends on context).  It's possible I've been so negligent on the forums a sub culture has emerged I don't even know about, so definitely don't worry about cliques.

3 hours ago, sprite said:

Wow. Surprised Celeste isn't on the list. Good idea, though! I'll probably take a look at this every now and again...

Celeste is a perfect example of "almost."  My impression was the gameplay and art looked solid, but it looked like it was dipping into the "emotional story" territory which I'd just as soon pass on.  Someone I know thinks it's the best platformer he's ever played based on gameplay though, so maybe I'll cave in on it eventually.  "Dad Quest" was another almost.

7 hours ago, Im_CIA said:

The real truth is... I just don't have the patience to play videogames anymore. Even the ones that look good.

Ah well, the list won't help with that.  I have patience, but it varies, there's a reason a lot of 4x games that I haven't played are on the list. I've heard mental challenges help against Alzheimer's, I think a lot of 4x games may turn into "retirement" games for me.

Shame I didn't see Secret Weapons Over Normandy on the list. (Totally not an obligatory statement since I posted in obscure games on it.) Although I don't think he'd like it very much. Maybe flight arcade games aren't his thing, I don't know. Though I will admit the game can be a bit over-dramatic at times. I still liked it though.

9 hours ago, TONYOO101 said:

I'm actually kinda surprised Ross wasn't interested in Night in the Woods.  You find a dismembered hand in the street within your first day in town, and there's this over-arching story some missing people and a mysterious cult. As much as the grievances he listed was valid, I figured he would be hooked by that cult stuff. 

I thought it was kind of depressing. I mean the whole concept is kind of depressing. The music slaps though. But I don't know if it's Ross' style of music. Anyways it's just one of those games that takes a while to kick in. I think of it as a game that's better for people that don't quite understand what mental disorders can do. Or really a game for people who need coping.

Edited by Kraken
Adding a response. (see edit history)

"I believe in a universe that doesn't care and people who do." - Night In The Woods

42 minutes ago, Ross Scott said:

If there is one, I don't know what it is either, so don't worry about it.  My main rule is not to have personal insults or stuff that's trying to be really obnoxious (even then, it depends on context).  It's possible I've been so negligent on the forums a sub culture has emerged I don't even know about, so definitely don't worry about cliques.

Hey, I could be wrong. I've only taken a look at the "Random Thread" in the Free For All section, and there was some sort of artist depiction of what I assume to be are a group of forum regulars. Chances are even if it's a clique, I doubt the people here are malicious or hostile.

By the way, thanks for the game list. It's going to help a lot in finding adventure games in the style of Still Life and whatnot, which is a genre I've been interested in.

Edited by Webworm (see edit history)

I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days... What were you in your former life?

Although I understand that this isn't the point of the list, and I don't know how much effort it would take to implement this feature, and the list itself isn't very big (yet);

But it would be cool to see a search function where you could type in the name of your game to see whether it made it into Ross's list. I see some people are already discussing how some of their favorite games aren't in the list. I bet it's probably more because they're interested in what the list exposes about Ross's tastes, rather than the games themselves.

Just so you know, I clicked the steam link for Kings and Heroes and it's apparently no longer available on Steam. It would be unreasonable to expect you to keep up on such developments, but I thought I'd just put that out there.

Edited by Wwen (see edit history)

Nice list, not just contents but the list itself as well. I'm glad to see a screenshot right away like that and having it in pages is fine too (I'm not a fan of many things in modern GUI either).

Some of these I already own on GOG, others I passed.  There is definitely too many good games and an insane amount of games which caught my interest. I would normally be fine even with flash games (which are underappreciated in my opinion) but I became very picky by necessity. Even then I'm saving most slow/turn-based games for retirement...

1 hour ago, Mousazz said:

Although I understand that this isn't the point of the list, and I don't know how much effort it would take to implement this feature, and the list itself isn't very big (yet);

But it would be cool to see a search function where you could type in the name of your game to see whether it made it into Ross's list. I see some people are already discussing how some of their favorite games aren't in the list. I bet it's probably more because they're interested in what the list exposes about Ross's tastes, rather than the games themselves.

There is a search feature, in the top right corner of the website.

25 minutes ago, ekket said:

I'm pretty sure he meant a search feature made specifically for the Games List. The one you're talking about isn't integrated with the Games List, it's for the entire website.

4 minutes ago, General Custard said:

I'm pretty sure he meant a search feature made specifically for the Games List. The one you're talking about isn't integrated with the Games List, it's for the entire website.

Yeah, you can search across the whole site but you can also search for games only (specifying the content type); I personally think that having another searchbar that serves the same purpose is a little redundant.

EDIT: Perhaps it could be made more obvious, but I don't have any good ideas for that.

Edited by ekket (see edit history)

15 minutes ago, ekket said:

Yeah, you can search across the whole site but you can also search for games only (specifying the content type); I personally think that having another searchbar that serves the same purpose is a little redundant.

EDIT: Perhaps it could be made more obvious, but I don't have any good ideas for that.

I didn't notice that it had the ability to filter searches to games only, my mistake. Now that I know that, you make a good point it's kind of unnecessary to add another one. I'd say the search bar is noticeable enough, no need to change it.

A game list, not a bad idea.

"I don't trust a man that doesn't have something strange going on about him, cause that means he's hiding it from you. If a man's wearing his pants on his head or if he says his words backwards from time to time, you know it's all laid out there for you. But if he's friendly to strangers and keeps his home spick-and-span, more often than not he's done something even his own ma couldn't forgive." -No-bark Noonan

2 hours ago, ekket said:

Ah yeah, I didn't notice that. Thanks.

I guess part of the reason I didn't notice it, though, is because the search bar is in line with the tabs, suggesting it is site-wide functionality only, instead of being unique based on whatever subsection of the site the user is in. Since it's the only search bar, no matter where it is put, it will probably still intuitively be the first thing that users check out if they want to search for something across the whole website, so I'd suggest pulling it down to below the tabs, like this:

Accursed Farms redone.png

Edited by Mousazz (see edit history)

This is pretty cool. I've found a few games I've played on here, and I'm very happy to see Battlezone 98 Redux, I hope Ross considers its sequel as well! 

I have a different reason for being stressed about the state of gaming today: its complete takeover by aggressive, totalitarian left wing political activists. It started with gaming journalism and communities in 2014, and quickly spread to the games themselves. So I stopped buying Western games entirely and focused only on Japanese ones. But then I had to stop buying from Steam because they, too, jumped on board the leftist bandwagon. So I limited myself to GOG. But then I had to stop buying from GOG because they, too, jumped on board the leftist bandwagon. Well at least I still had my PS4 and Vita... oh wait, no, Sony are now leftists too, and even more extreme than anyone else. No more Sony games, then. And Nintendo? The third party publishers seem to be converging towards leftism as well, whether out of fear or out of conviction, and I can only assume Nintendo themselves will sooner or later follow suit, so no reason to bother with them. What remains after all this? Some independent Japanese games published through niche channels (for now), and freeware games.

I can tolerate the conventional problems of the industry, as they are at least very obvious, happen on a game-by-game basis, and are motivated by mere greed, but the politics are a miasma hanging over everything. Even if the game itself doesn't seem to have any politics, you can still count on the developers mouthing off on twitter. If all else fails, the stores themselves are still compromised, so in the end it doesn't matter what the game is like. I don't even pay attention to new releases anymore, because there's no point. Of course there are thousands of older games for many different platforms, and I still have a lot of games backlogged, so it's not like I don't have anything to play. But as far as I'm concerned the worldwide game industry is dead.

23 minutes ago, indeed i am not said:

[snip]

I dunno man, it's pretty easy to not see that stuff if you want. But I haven't bought a game in a while. All I play right now is MTG:A and Destiny 2. I don't have a lot of time to play. Also, don't use Twitter.

Edited by ekket
Make thread better to browse (see edit history)