ROSS'S BIG GAME LIST

21 minutes ago, indeed i am not said:

[snip]

I mean... we could talk about this in the General American Politics thread, rather than on the game list. Because I think this falls more under that than what Ross has to do with it.

Edited by ekket
Make thread better to browse (see edit history)

"I believe in a universe that doesn't care and people who do." - Night In The Woods

19 minutes ago, indeed i am not said:

[snip]

It sounds like this political stuff is a miasma hanging over you more than anything. I don’t like when things get overly political too, right or left, but it’s nowhere near as bad as you’re making it sound. It’s not really fair to say that an artist isn’t allowed to have a message in their work whether you agree with it or not. Also, I agree with Kraken, this a bit off topic for the thread.

Edited by ekket
Make thread better to browse (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, General Custard said:

It sounds like this political stuff is a miasma hanging over you more than anything. I don’t like when things get overly political too, right or left, but it’s nowhere near as bad as you’re making it sound. It’s not really fair to say that an artist isn’t allowed to have a message in their work whether you agree with it or not. Also, I agree with Kraken, this a bit off topic for the thread.

A totalitarian extremist left wing movement holds power over almost anything related to video games, and anyone who dissents is banned, doxxed, ostracized, smeared and fired from their jobs. They will not even permit other developers to freely make their own games. And according to you I am the problem and these leftists merely have messages in their works.

2 minutes ago, indeed i am not said:

[snip]

Seriously can we just do this in the General American Politics?

"I believe in a universe that doesn't care and people who do." - Night In The Woods

1 minute ago, Kraken said:

Seriously can we just do this in the General American Politics?

Why should a political problem be treated any differently than a non-political one, like microtransactions?

Just now, indeed i am not said:

Why should a political problem be treated any differently than a non-political one, like microtransactions?

It's not that this isn't something to talk about, it's more that this is the wrong thread for it, because a lot of what you're talking about is heavily influenced by your political views.

It's not that this isn't something to talk about, it's more that this is the wrong thread for it, because a lot of what you're talking about is heavily influenced by your political views.

I didn't even say anything about any specific politics, I just described the facts of the situation.

I didn't even say anything about any specific politics, I just described the facts of the situation.

Describing companies as a "complete takeover by aggressive, totalitarian left wing political activists." is pretty political if you ask me.

Describing companies as a "complete takeover by aggressive, totalitarian left wing political activists." is pretty political if you ask me.

It's a factual statement.

1 minute ago, indeed i am not said:

It's a factual statement.

In your perspective, perhaps. But still, this isn't exactly the thread to be arguing this.

Edited by Kraken (see edit history)

In your perspective, perhaps. But still, this isn't exactly the thread to be arguing this.

No, not my perspective. It's a fact. I am describing something that factually happened.

No, not my perspective. It's a fact. I am describing something that factually happened.

If you really want to argue this perspective (or really, a political view), please move it to the General American Politics Thread. I'm not going to keep this going in this thread after this response.

Just now, Kraken said:

If you really want to argue this perspective (or really, a political view), please move it to the General American Politics Thread. I'm not going to keep this going in this thread after this response.

I am describing what has factually happened. What the fuck is wrong with you?

16 minutes ago, indeed i am not said:

First off, I think I agree that talking about this belongs in a different thread.  Here's my quick assessment of what you're saying:

You say this:

"A totalitarian extremist left wing movement holds power over almost anything related to video games, and anyone who dissents is banned, doxxed, ostracized, smeared and fired from their jobs."

"I didn't even say anything about any specific politics, I just described the facts of the situation."

You're calling these facts, but you're using sweeping generalities.  Those don't usually go together.  You say "extremist left" that can mean a lot of different things to different people.  For example, perhaps the biggest issue for people on the left is currently the health care system.  I'm not always up to date on the latest games, but I haven't seen a deluge of games and game developers saying we need health care reform and an industry firing anyone who says anything different.  And you say "extremist", so on a classic political spectrum, the extreme end of left often mean Communism.  Again, I'm not seeing companies like Sony advocate for equal pay for everyone, elimination of classes, and workers owning the means of production.

So since the CEOs of Sony or Rockstar are not quoting Marx at press meetings means your statement is not a FACT.  Facts don't have exceptions.  If they do, they're not facts.  A FACT would be air on Earth contains mostly nitrogen, it's measurable, reproducable, indisputable reality.  So since what you are stating IS an opinion, but you're selling it as fact without clarifiers that's going to get people riled up because of all the vagueness combined with an assertion that it's something it's not.  To me, this all says it would go better in another thread.  I don't mind veering off topic sometimes, but I see this not really taking it in a productive direction for the purpose of this video at least.

1 minute ago, Ross Scott said:

You're calling these facts, but you're using sweeping generalities.  Those don't usually go together.  You say "extremist left" that can mean a lot of different things to different people.  For example, perhaps the biggest issue for people on the left is currently the health care system.  I'm not always up to date on the latest games, but I haven't seen a deluge of games and game developers saying we need health care reform and an industry firing anyone who says anything different.  And you say "extremist", so on a classic political spectrum, the extreme end of left often mean Communism.  Again, I'm not seeing companies like Sony advocate for equal pay for everyone, elimination of classes, and workers owning the means of production.

So since the CEOs of Sony or Rockstar are not quoting Marx at press meetings means your statement is not a FACT.  Facts don't have exceptions.  If they do, they're not facts.  A FACT would be air on Earth contains mostly nitrogen, it's measurable, reproducable, indisputable reality.  So since what you are stating IS an opinion, but you're selling it as fact without clarifiers that's going to get people riled up because of all the vagueness combined with an assertion that it's something it's not.  To me, this all says it would go better in another thread.  I don't mind veering off topic sometimes, but I see this not really taking it in a productive direction for the purpose of this video at least.

Show me where I said anything about health care or Marx or any of these other things. Seems like you want to start debating those topics, while pretending that this is all off-topic and should go somewhere else.

This has to be troll bait at this point I think.

Okay, I'm giving you a chance, because you're honestly acting like a troll now, but just in case you don't realize it and this is just a misunderstanding, I'll try and boil it down more simply:

You say the extremist left controls the games industry and this is a fact.  "Extremist left" is a relative term that doesn't have an absolute definition.  Facts are absolutes.  So, in order for your statement to be true, there would have to be NO exceptions under any conceivable definition of "extremist left".  The Marx / health care were examples of exceptions that show under some definitions of "extremist left" the game industry does not meet those qualifications.  Therefore, your claim of your statements being FACTS is not correct.  If they were, there would be no exceptions to what you are saying.  I'm looking at this like a logic problem. 

Asserting something that can be readily proven false (the claim that your statements are facts), is a recipe to argue with people.  I suspect you know this, but on the offchance you don't, I'm trying to be crystal clear on why it's not helpful for this thread.

If you're not trying to troll and just don't get what I'm saying, sorry, feel free to show what I'm saying to someone else, maybe they can explain it to you.  And if you're not trolling, understanding what I'm saying can help you communicate your point far more effectively and win over people you might not be able to otherwise. Either way, I think this topic belongs in another thread (you can link to it from here though, that's fine).

This is not the place, regardless of it's factual nature. Don't get so hung up on an idea. Let him him help you take it to an appropriate place to vent, you gotta "read the room." I don't wanna say anymore and contribute to the chaos, but I would like to help him chill out a bit. Yeah, life sucks and then you die. I know, there's a forum for that though, this is about The List.

Only a Sith deals in absolutes, Ross.

To get back on topic, I'd like to make a suggestion for the Big List. If it's possible and wouldn't be overly time consuming (I'm assuming this can be done automatically but I have no idea), could a button be added that filters only games Ross has given ratings? I expect those games to be the minority on the list, but it'd be nice to find them easily.

Wait, I'm stupid, the option already exists.

Edited by Webworm (see edit history)

I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days... What were you in your former life?

14 hours ago, Webworm said:

Only a Sith deals in absolutes, Ross.

To get back on topic, I'd like to make a suggestion for the Big List. If it's possible and wouldn't be overly time consuming (I'm assuming this can be done automatically but I have no idea), could a button be added that filters only games Ross has given ratings? I expect those games to be the minority on the list, but it'd be nice to find them easily.

Sort By→Ross's Rating should do it for the moment. We did have buttons for the ratings, but Ross decided against it since the vast majority aren't rated.