ROSS'S BIG GAME LIST

Now this here is a feature I have been hoping would become a thing on this site for years now.

Back by popular demand!

I was starting to feel like I'm running out of games to be interested in and then Ross drops a list that makes me  love video games again. 

Where were you when Ross saved gaming?

Edited by Operator (see edit history)

Greeting and salutation,

I definitely enjoyed your taste and was ecstatic to see a Fantastic award in Subnautica. Its one of the few game that I genuinely enjoyed it gleefully.

However, I wondered why most of the valve game is absent in your list? Especially with a Portal titles...

PS: as a suggestion feature, could I combine all genre and sort them by Ross's award?

Regards,

Definitely not a Donald Fauntleroy Duck.

45 minutes ago, ywyak said:

PS: as a suggestion feature, could I combine all genre and sort them by Ross's award?

You already can, Sort By→Ross's Rating. This is a pretty commonly asked question, does anyone have ideas for making this more obvious?

14 minutes ago, ekket said:

You already can, Sort By→Ross's Rating. This is a pretty commonly asked question, does anyone have ideas for making this more obvious?

Cheers. By removing all filter, i can sort all games with fantastic rating.

As for the last one, a suggestion I can make: Box it out (with a different background color)
image.thumb.png.56f036eafca8b4e9de49c584d965e86d.png

Regards,

Edited by ywyak (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Fanatic4500 said:

If you're into rhythm games, check out Crypt of the Necrodancer. It's a fun dungeon crawling rhythm game. It's really challenging and tons of fun.

I left out in the video I'm not into rhythm games either.  Crypt of Necrodancer is on the not-going-to-play-this-but-check-out-the-soundtrack list all the way

Y'know it's kind of weird but Jazztronauts is a really good game. (I'm considering it its own game but it's a gamemode in Garry's Mod that was released fairly recently, almost exactly a year ago.) And it's even more weird that literally no one talks about it. I thought it was good, not particularly hard perhaps, but it was at least interesting. Maybe it's too niche?

"I believe in a universe that doesn't care and people who do." - Night In The Woods

29 minutes ago, RaTcHeT302 said:

The screenshots remind me of Tower Unite. I never played GMOD Tower though.

I mean, some of the same people that worked on Jazztronauts worked on Tower Unite. That's probably why.

"I believe in a universe that doesn't care and people who do." - Night In The Woods

Thanks Ross for the game list and for continuing to discuss improvements with the fans. Many producers with an audience as big as yours just don't bother. I know there are so many comments that you can't always reply, especially on YouTube, but at least you try. (you even took time to explain things to that troll which I certainly wouldn't have had the patience for)

Edited by Zabeus (see edit history)

REVIEW OF RUINATION

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1024670/Ruination/

So, this game is $0.99 (right now on sale for $0.89) and to me the question is "was this game worth 2 games of pinball" and honestly i gotta go with no.

It's a very basic shooter platformer (so basic there's not even music). And the biggest thing that killed it for me is that the game doesn't work. And i don't mean on a gameplay level or it's not fun. There is fundamental functionality that isn't there. Specifically, you're supposed to be able to pick up weapons and use them. To do so you can press the S or the down arrow key. Neither one worked. I've posted something on the steam discussion for the game and will update this review if it gets fixed. But for now i can't get very far because i'm stuck with a whimpy little pistol

From what i have played two things REALLY bug me (though this may just be me), but when you have a game this basic, one or two problems can make or break a game:

1. Intakill spikes.

I loath instakill spikes, I don't think there's a reason they should exist in games anymore period.

2. Restarting

This is a tough game, by design, so when you die it shouldn't take you long to have another shot. But a very slow (or at least it feels slow because this is a very fast paced game) "mission failed" screen pops up, before kicking you back to the menu. For a game like this there really isn't that much loading. Maybe Hotline Miami ruined me, but when you have a game this small and easy to load, one button press, then immediately back in the action is what I'd personally recommend. I don't even mind a second of black screentime to do the loading, just not what the game currently has. I get that maybe the developer didn't want to do that because you do choose your weapon at the beginning, and maybe you picked up a weapon, died, and wanna use it for this run. Well you can still hit escape to go back to the main menu instantly to do that. Idk, maybe that's just me though, but these two things plus the literally broken game made this more frustrating than challenging.

So to use ross's rating: Hazy

100% is going to be a cut-rate clown

Also, just a quick look through the list, one entry i'm surprised isn't on there is killing floor 2 specifically because it has:

A lot of zombies

An evil carnival

And to top it all off, heavy metal clown music

here are the best tracks for that if you don't want to play the game yourself:

https://youtu.be/V_eZAa0uETo

https://youtu.be/bT3HKIXXfDg

100% is going to be a cut-rate clown

So I'm going to play a devil's advocate for a bit because I don't think "indeed i am not" was trolling, I think s/he's just defensive and jumps to conclusions. And I agree somewhat that distancing from politics is pointless since it has influence on everything by nature. But this should be really discussed elsewhere since while Ross did touch on the increased number of things to escape from, it is not the main topic of the video.

So just one post with few instances where certain people (often called by different names - left wing extremist, SJWs, feminists, marxists and others) succeeded or failed to negatively (in my opinion) change games.

Chuchel - a little czech adventure game about a living ball of dust who loves cherries. The original design was black ball with red lips (to distinguish the mouth) and orange hat. Due to backlash of certain people, who immidiately saw black face instead of realizing that the concept of black face is non-existant in czech culture, authors decided to change how chuchel looks, so now the name makes less sense. Fortunately I do have the original version on my hardrive.

Kingdom come deliverance - here certain people failed to insert black characters into game set in medieval central Europe where at that time, people of black skin were basically nonexistant and having one in the game would go against the realism developers were going for. They also tried to report one of the developers to the studio owner (which was ironically the guy they were reporting) for basically being racist for pointing out the known historical facts.

These two are from the top of my head, there is more. Usually this doesn't impact gameplay, so if they had free hand good games would still stay good, even though the constant focus on minorities and women would be cringe inducing. But when they get their hands on existing franchises this can ruin the lore for many fans since they won't stop to think if what they are trying to add makes sense in established lore (see push for female space marines in wh40k).

3 hours ago, Enguzrad said:

So I'm going to play a devil's advocate for a bit because I don't think "indeed i am not" was trolling, I think s/he's just defensive and jumps to conclusions. And I agree somewhat that distancing from politics is pointless since it has influence on everything by nature. But this should be really discussed elsewhere since while Ross did touch on the increased number of things to escape from, it is not the main topic of the video.

This really isn't the space for this. If you want to have a discussion about the current trends of gaming then open one in the appropriate board. 

On 7/26/2019 at 3:11 AM, Ross Scott said:

Celeste is a perfect example of "almost."  My impression was the gameplay and art looked solid, but it looked like it was dipping into the "emotional story" territory which I'd just as soon pass on.

Ahhhh, okay. That's fair. You're less of a touchy-feely guy and more of a 'shoot first ask questions later' guy anyway, so this makes sense. Thanks for getting back to me!

Yuppie Psycho looks fucking amazing, I'm gonna get it sometime.

Bomb shelter parties are the best parties because bomb shelter parties don't stop. Until everyone's dead.

After a lot of people requesting it, the game list now has comments!

2 hours ago, ekket said:

After a lot of people requesting it, the game list now has comments!

YAY!

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

*Battle Royale in the Biased Against list*

Thank you Ross. The explosive popularity of Fortnite makes me feel concerned that it will define the common perception of videogames. The stress I get from the state of the videogame world is how superficially bloated and routine the big releases have become. I mean, I don't really play new games - I upgraded to a PS3 at the beginning of this year - but I look at AAA title trailers and images and they all look homogenised and habit-reinforcing. That's not to say it was never like that before, but it feels especially nauseating considering the amount of money spent both by publishers and audiences, and which feels significantly misspent.

Spoiler

To quote Yahtzee: "Twenty years ago, Half-Life was a focal point in gaming's ongoing development as an artistic narrative medium; the next few years saw a slew of titles that combined AAA game design with genuine emotional story. But what happened between then and now?! Why are the games routinely rewarded with AAA status and income exclusively loot box-infested live service bullshit, games designed not to inspire or stimulate our emotions, but to numb them and hypnotize us into lab rats, mindlessly pawing the button that makes treats come out, while the games created with love and artistic integrity drown beneath waves of bottom-feeders like Hunt Down The Freeman, that tear chunks of rotten flesh from the corpses of Valve's children as Valve itself, once-habitual founders of new ages of narrative gaming, merely waves them on, barely glancing up from their tax paperwork?!"

And you make a good point about the sheer scale of great games out there. There is more than you'll be able to play in your lifetime, so it's a stroke of luck if a small studio makes a breakthrough game and gets noticed. It's exactly the same with the music industry. I'd love to hit it big with my bands, but there's so much music already out there, and people doing the exact same thing as me, that even the smallest amount of attention has to be savored and promoted.

I'll definitely have a gander at this list.

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR