Games you like that others don't

I really liked Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness, didn't saw 95% of the problems people rage about. 

Also I like Duke Nukem Forever; I wanted another Duke experience and by god I received one, so I was sold from start to finish.

DotA gets a lot of hate for being a MOBA, but its my all time favorite game. The level of depth and complexity is astounding ,but it doesn't feel artificial. Everything in DotA feels justified, and every game of it feels completely unique (at least to me). Having played 4000 games, I could easily see myself playing another 4000, time permitting. If anyone wants to play some dota lmk. Unfortunately it is GaaS, but i don't see it going anywhere soon. Its a money printing machine for valve.

Edited by a_coathanger (see edit history)

3 hours ago, a_coathanger said:

DotA gets a lot of hate for being a MOBA, but its my all time favorite game. The level of depth and complexity is astounding ,but it doesn't feel artificial. Everything in DotA feels justified, and every game of it feels completely unique (at least to me). Having played 4000 games, I could easily see myself playing another 4000, time permitting. If anyone wants to play some dota lmk. Unfortunately it is GaaS, but i don't see it going anywhere soon. Its a money printing machine for valve.

I've always likened playing Dota to having a gambling addiction. You either lose an hour of your time and are miserable the whole way through, or end up having the time of your life, depending on how lucky you are of course. I don't think playing MOBAs in general is a healthy habit to get in to, at least with most other types of online games you can dip out when you stop having fun.

the name's riley

How about old games that you like, but reckon younger generations wouldn't?

Two of my all-time favourite games - Timesplitters 2 and GTA III would probably be considered too restrictive and basic compared to juggernauts like GTA Online and Fortnight. But back in the day they were considered part of the gold standard of PS2 games, and I'll forever defend them with my Dualshock 2. Also Vice City and Timesplitters Future Perfect.

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

2 hours ago, Binky The Rabbit said:

Two of my all-time favourite games - Timesplitters 2 and GTA III would probably be considered too restrictive and basic compared to juggernauts like GTA Online and Fortnight. But back in the day they were considered part of the gold standard of PS2 games, and I'll forever defend them with my Dualshock 2. Also Vice City and Timesplitters Future Perfect.

My young cousins love to play GTA online and they also love the classic GTA games, like GTA III, Vice City, and San Andreas. I also got them loving an MK arcade machine. I don't think they care about graphics as much as other people, and I'm the same way.

8 hours ago, Alyxx Thorne said:

Star Fox Adventures seems to have a pretty bad rep for some reason

From what I've heard, it's because it wasn't originally going to be a Star Fox game, and it becoming a Star Fox game was a last minute decision. Didn't help that it was a huge departure from your typical Star Fox game.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

4 hours ago, Psychotic Ninja said:

From what I've heard, it's because it wasn't originally going to be a Star Fox game, and it becoming a Star Fox game was a last minute decision. Didn't help that it was a huge departure from your typical Star Fox game.

Yeah, it feels really different from other games in the franchise but I kinda like that. It's far from perfect but it's definitely not as bad as people say.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

On 8/14/2019 at 10:47 PM, Psychotic Ninja said:

Dinosaur Planet was one of the games of my dreams during high school! Then they dumped Star Fox in it for no reason at ALL!

On 8/11/2019 at 5:05 PM, Binky The Rabbit said:

Carnivores 2 and Icewind Dale. They're not hated, but they weren't 'the best'  even back then. But because they're what I grew up with, they have a special place in my heart. They would be seen with derision today.

Edited by Eshanas (see edit history)

The original Command & Conquer games, from before Westwood was EAten.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Borderlands The Pre-sequel

Really don't think it deserves all the crap it gets. I still prefer Borderlands 2, but TPS is better in some ways that shouldn't be skimmed over, such as the skill trees (excluding Nisha).

Stronghold Legends. I really don't get why people hate this game. 2 was fucking awful with your peasants taking random shits in the street that you had to build a dung farmer to clean up, criminals that left your workshops permanently OFF, mercenaries being a bit too powerful, some buildings taking up a 1/3 of our county and the maps being small didn't help either. Legends fixes all the problems 2 had by cutting the fat, giving you new units and some pretty good campaigns. There is no objective problems with the game, yet people still hate it.

A common talking point I hear is that it's not like the 2D Strongholds, it isn't a medieval castle simulator. This is sorta true: some very minor details are missing, but if that disqualified it from being a good game, then fuck, we've really up'ed out standards for sequels.

On 8/24/2019 at 10:24 PM, BTGBullseye said:

The original Command & Conquer games, from before Westwood was EAten.

I thought people liked those games. Are you talking about generals 1 and Red alert 1? I can see how people might not like them. They are somewhat outdated, but hey there are tools like OpenRA that fixes any problems with resolution and controls.

4 hours ago, Sav said:

I thought people liked those games. Are you talking about generals 1 and Red alert 1? I can see how people might not like them. They are somewhat outdated, but hey there are tools like OpenRA that fixes any problems with resolution and controls.

People liked them a lot, right up until EA ate Westwood, and now people don't want to like them anymore... Why is anyone's guess.

Generals 1 was quite good for what it was. Easily moddable too. So was Zero Hour. (for which I had a mod turning the Laser General into more than just a regular USA general with a couple extra lasers)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I don't think people's like for the original C&C games has changed any since EA came about, so kinda defeats it's purpose as an entry in this thread. I actually don't think I've seen a single person hate on the westwood games because EA owns them now. You can make an argument that people who didn't play them when they came out might not like it because they're old but I wouldn't count that honestly

I'm also gonna say Borderlands: Pre-Sequel. I got a lot of enjoyment out of it and still cannot figure out where the hate comes from. The most consistent criticism I hear is "jump pads are stupid" which baffles me because the game is loaded with stupid and silly stuff.

Edited by Blightmare (see edit history)

Retired Forum Moderator

10 hours ago, RaTcHeT302 said:

Uhhh... I think it's the opposite if anything, people love EA more now.

Uhh... What? With all the shit EA pulls, I can't see anyone loving EA, except for blind loyalists.

Never played any C&C game, not my kind of game. The only one I know people hate is the one on mobile, cause it's on mobile. One just has to look at their treatment of Dungeon Keeper to really see why people aren't too thrilled about C&C being on mobile. And quiet honestly, the game deserves better treatment.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

I had Shaq Fu on the Genesis back in the day and really enjoyed playing it with my brother.  I didn't know until much, much later that so many people thought it was terrible.  I understood that it was goofy that Shaquille O'Neal was the main character, and even kinda understood that it was pretty unbalanced, but the smoothly animated graphics and even some of the designs of the fighters really kept me into it.  Nowadays I don't touch it though.

I really liked the Wildstar MMO. I still think that game was much better than it seems. People just bailed too quickly and didn't give it a proper go. Plus, the devs listened to the community little bit too much.

I have never seen anyone complain about the dialogue in BL-TPS. It's more about the gameplay itself, maybe people just hate things that are similar but not as good as the game before it. Oxygen is really not an issue, it takes a long time to run out of it and it takes a very short time to refill it.