ABZÛ

Sign in to follow this  

AbZu is fantastic as long as underwater exploration games go, it's just that. Relax, immerge yourself, ride the animals. 

On 7/30/2019 at 2:48 AM, MDMaster said:

AbZu is fantastic as long as underwater exploration games go, it's just that. Relax, immerge yourself, ride the animals. 

Totally agree. I really enjoyed it a lot and it looks fantastic.

I have to disagree on this one, I thought it was shallow as hell. I was hoping for another Subnautica, not necessarily a build/survival game, but something with that depth of exploration and I was deeply disappointed.

Posted (edited)

It had a cute moment, but beyond that it felt like a glorified movie. While playing, I just kept telling myself, that this should be a movie instead of a game.

It's nothing more than a very fancy, walking simulator, but in the sea. I liked the fish? Graphics are okay, I don't like this really bland, no texture style though. I guess it's an okay game if you want to just test your graphics card or something.

Really it's nothing more than a glorified screensaver. Neat to look at, but, that's it.

I really don't like these "you play it once, and then you throw it into the trash" games. I could just go on Google Images to get the same experience.

Edited by RaTcHeT302

this is not a survival game. this is a swimming game. 

if you are stressed out and you need a game to play. this is the one for you.

relax.

I really like ABZU. However, I feel that calling it a game is a tad misleading. It's more of an experience. The creator (Matt Nava) was the art director for Journey, and it really shows. ABZU is very relaxing, calming, and absolutely beautiful in art style, and is a love letter to scuba diving and all of the wondrous sea critters that can be found around the world. 

The gameplay is super simple. You are a diver. You swim, find little robot friends to remove obstacles, find and release new species of animals, and relax on dedicated 'meditation' spots where you can take the point of view of any of the fish/whales/turtles etc. that are in the area. There are a couple of 'puzzles' but they're really just there to make the chapters a bit more varied. There is no dialogue or text prompts; the story is told entirely through the environment and the setting itself.

So ABZU isn't a game you go to for a vast area to explore with multiple gameplay elements and things to do, and/or with an engaging and interactive story. Comparing it to Subnautica or similar really doesn't make sense; they are two completely different games with different audiences, and intentions. It's a game you go to escape, relax, or just admire the wonders the ocean has to offer. 

A friend showed this to me but I have a serious phobia of the ocean or just being underwater in general and I had a hard time even watching someone else play it. I had to pass.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Mira said:

A friend showed this to me but I have a serious phobia of the ocean or just being underwater in general and I had a hard time even watching someone else play it. I had to pass.

I thought this was more cutesy, but I don't think you are missing out on a whole lot. I personally found this to be more bearable than Subnautica, seeing as this game is fairly enclosed, and it tends to be more on the claustrophobic side of things with the invisible walls if anything, it's not an open ended ocean, but more like a giant linear short story.

Anyway there are plenty more games to FISH OUT in this OCEAN, HEEEEEE.

Edited by RaTcHeT302