Paranormal

Sign in to follow this  

I think the "paranormal" is a manifestation of people not always being able to explain what they see, hear or experience. Doesn't mean there are no explanations.

Ehmm, there are explanations for almost all of them.

Both scientific and spiritual.

Because in the end, spiritism is a scientific subject.

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

I think the "paranormal" is a manifestation of people not always being able to explain what they see, hear or experience. Doesn't mean there are no explanations.

Please explain to me what a "spiritual explanation" might look like. If there is a more nebulous subjective term than spirituality I have yet to hear it, so enlighten me on this. Also would you be so kind to explain how a spiritual explanation has any real explanatory power.

And spiritism is a scientific subject? Could you perhaps explain that further?

O.o

You dodged a bullet and a meteorite?

Bullet twice, meteorite once.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Could you kindly explain to me how the fuck you dodged a meteorite?

"Stand in the ashes of a trillion dead souls, and asks the ghosts if honour matters! The silence is your answer." -Javik, Mass Effect 3

I'd like to know that as well

First off, people getting hit by meteorites is extremely rare with only one or two cases ever really confirmed.

Secondly, having a premonition come true is even rarer still as there is no scientific evidence to suggest such a thing is even possible.

I'd like to know that as well

First off, people getting hit by meteorites is extremely rare with only one or two cases ever really confirmed.

Secondly, having a premonition come true is even rarer still as there is no scientific evidence to suggest such a thing is even possible.

Overwhelming feeling that I should move to the right, instant quick memory of me watching myself talking to someone about stepping to the right and avoiding being hit by a meteorite, moved, and a meteorite impacted where I had been standing. Similar for the bullet dodging, except for what the memory was.

Overwhelming feeling that I should move to the right, instant quick memory of me watching myself talking to someone about stepping to the right and avoiding being hit by a meteorite, moved, and a meteorite impacted where I had been standing. Similar for the bullet dodging, except for what the memory was.

Riiiight... And what did you do with a meteorite? Do you take it? Someone else has taken it? Do you have any pics/photos of it? Or you just left a meteorite lying there, like ''yeah, hell with it, I don't care about another rock from space, I'll just leave it there and get back to my business''?

Riiiight... And what did you do with a meteorite? Do you take it? Someone else has taken it? Do you have any pics/photos of it? Or you just left a meteorite lying there, like ''yeah, hell with it, I don't care about another rock from space, I'll just leave it there and get back to my business''?

Why would I take a picture of it when all that was left was the equivalent of sand? Not all meteorite strikes leave large chunks behind. If it had, I would definitely still have the rock.

The piece that hit was about the size of a marble, plenty large enough to kill since it was going around Mach 6...

The only paranormal experiences I've had have to do with dreaming the future, and one time of floating off the ground when I was 7.

Heh, I thought about that 'dreaming the future' a lot too.

I always got many of those deja-vu feelings, at least once a week.

Though, not anymore so often nowdays, but that is because of something else.

Well, some years ago I 'studied' dreaming, especially 'lucid dreams'.[1]

To better remember my dreams I started a dream diary, which helps alot.

And at some point I realized that I wrote down some dreams which had parts

that sometimes happened a few days after the dreaming.

For example, I dreamt on a night from a sunday to monday that on the next

wednesday (I don't know why I knew the exact date) at dinner with my mother

and sister, my mother, who sat right of me, would tell me that my grandmother

has cancer (which at monday noone of us yet knew). So I waited for wednesday

and at that days dinner my sister, who sat right of me, told me that our

grandmother has cancer, in the exact same words which I dreamt. That was

very confusing because I dreamt my mother would say it, but instead it was my

sister..

I have some more examples, but that one was one of the most vivid ones and

funnily enough also the most generic one.

Well, some of my conclusions of the whole thing:

1. Mostly these deja-vus happen suddenly and when I realize it, it is already

over, but a few times I could 'predict' what would happen next for at least some

seconds, especially in conversations.

2. With training it seems possible to dream more then just a few seconds and also

more often.

3. The future seems unchangable. Even if you knew what would happen, the

knowledge that you know it is already in what you dream. Kinda sounds like a

paradox, doesn't it? :?

Well, but since I stopped 'working' on my dreams quite some time ago, it all

rather subsided. I am still not sure if I really dreamt the future or if I just got so

much imagination that I had so many different dreams every night that some just

have to happen someday. :)

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dream

Why would I take a picture of it when all that was left was the equivalent of sand? Not all meteorite strikes leave large chunks behind. If it had, I would definitely still have the rock.

The piece that hit was about the size of a marble, plenty large enough to kill since it was going around Mach 6...

You may have made your DEX save, but you seriously botched your WIS check. Being one of the extremely few humans EVER to have been in the immediately vicinity of a meteorite strike would have made you FAMOUS.

A marble sized bit of debris actually hitting the ground (after surviving the trip through the atmosphere) would have made a visible crater. Not to mention the fact that during atmospheric entry it would have blazed like a motherf***er. (Almost all the meteoroids we see burning up as shooting stars are tiny, like particles of dust, and if it was the size of a marble when it hit the ground it would have been MUCH larger when it hit atmosphere.)

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

I remember hearing somebody say that ghosts could be psychic imprints left behind from stressful and traumatic situations.

How many of you guys and gals heard about Aokigahara, the Sea of Trees? Apparently, the forest is a popular place for suicides, with approximately 30 bodies recovered yearly, and only god knows how many are still there. I saw a amateur documentary of the forest, and the crew found both a noose hanging from a tree and the skeletal remains of a body. If that theory about ghosts is true, than that would mean the place would be more haunted than New York in the 80's.

I don't like writer's block, I prefer to call it writer's parry.

If that theory about ghosts is true, than that would mean the place would be more haunted than New York in the 80's.

My theroy would be that the reputation of these places have such a huge

psychological effect on us, that we will experience something because we

expect it to be so.

You may have made your DEX save, but you seriously botched your WIS check.

Huh?

Being one of the extremely few humans EVER to have been in the immediately vicinity of a meteorite strike would have made you FAMOUS.

Tell that to me when I was 6, and thought that it was just mildly interesting... I was more interested in the 67 Mustang that was driving by, then quickly switched to being interested in some computer thing, then something else... ADHD kinda makes extraordinary things seem very ordinary.

A marble sized bit of debris actually hitting the ground (after surviving the trip through the atmosphere) would have made a visible crater. Not to mention the fact that during atmospheric entry it would have blazed like a motherf***er. (Almost all the meteoroids we see burning up as shooting stars are tiny, like particles of dust, and if it was the size of a marble when it hit the ground it would have been MUCH larger when it hit atmosphere.)

In the sparsely populated farmlands in the southeastern corner of South Dakota, it's rare that someone actually looks up... Much less care about a significant meteor strike that doesn't directly affect them.

You may have made your DEX save, but you seriously botched your WIS check.

Huh?

D&D reference.

So, anybody here watch all those shows on SyFy like Ghost Hunter, Fact or Faked, Destination Truth, etc.? I kind of like them, even if they are complete bull most of the time.

I've always been attracted to the unknown and would happily take place in a ghost hunting expedition. Like this summer: I was in Edinburgh taking a tour of one of their cemeteries (Greyfriars Kirkyard). The access to the Covenanters' Prison was closed by order of the city council, because of numerous attacks to the tourists by violent poltergeists (Google this, it's quite interesting). I stood there at the gate for a long time, took numerous pictures, even came back the next day to try and catch some paranormal activity... but nothing happened. With the exception of the photos I posted in the OP, I saw nothing strange in that city, said to be one of the most heavily hunted in Europe.

I bring you mortal danger and cookies. Not necessarily in that order.

http://www.youtube.com/jclc

It's called, mass propaganda of paranormal activities for tourism attraction.

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

So, anybody here watch all those shows on SyFy like Ghost Hunter, Fact or Faked, Destination Truth, etc.? I kind of like them, even if they are complete bull most of the time.

I like to watch Destination Truth and Ghost Hunters but I don't watch Fact or Faked.

I had a few lucid dreams. One of the most memorable of the dreams was where I was being chased by one of those fat, machete wielding things from the game Darkwatch. darkwatch-20050706110550919_640w.jpg

I was scared at first, but then I realized that there is no way that something like this could happen in real life. (As far as I know. :? ) So I conjured up a weapon and killed it. The dream ended there.

I don't like writer's block, I prefer to call it writer's parry.

I have the same kind of dreams, except my FPS experience begins and ends with DOOM.

So I'll be dreaming of being chased by caecodemons and worrying about the Cyberdemon Boss, when suddenly I realize "hey, this map isn't in the game!" and then I realize I'm dreaming, and from then on it's "iddqd" and BFGs all around, baby! :D

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

@BTGbullseye

Right there with ya man. I once got struck by lightning right after winning the lottery. The electrical burn destroyed the ticket and I never saw a buck out of it. I have no proof of this happening because I didn't think it was that strange when it happened.

Sign in to follow this  

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.