Half-life story discussion (May contain spoilers)

They've already used Barney Calhoun from Blue Shift as a character ( He wasn't in HL1 the guards were just called Barnies by the team ) so why not Adrian Shepard? I'm sure that since Valve overwatched the game they approved of the character.

Uhm, did anyone actually read my statement? I said new characters. Like the new alien species, AND Adrian Shephard. I don't think Gearbox had any problem using Barney as a main character, and you are right that he wasn't new but technically owned by Valve, but I meant all the NEW characters and species.

That's probably why the X species is never mentioned ever again in HL2, unless that's what the combine are.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Uhm, did anyone actually read my statement? I said new characters. Like the new alien species, AND Adrian Shephard. I don't think Gearbox had any problem using Barney as a main character, and you are right that he wasn't new but technically owned by Valve, but I meant all the NEW characters and species.

That's probably why the X species is never mentioned ever again in HL2, unless that's what the combine are.

Doesn't matter whether Gearbox came up with the stuff or not, Valve owns it you know copy-write laws and what not.

And what Species X are you talking about?

My point was that that Valve owns HL and that for Alyxx's statement to be true Gearbox would have to own it.

I think that was my point too... Cool, glad we agree.

In both Opposing Force and Blue Shift there is an entirely new alien species, some of them wielding entirely new weapons as well. They are not the same species as the ones from Xen, though it is likely they are controlled by the same brain thingy (can't for the life of me remember its name).

brain thingy (can't for the life of me remember its name).

Nihalanth?

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

In both Opposing Force and Blue Shift there is an entirely new alien species, some of them wielding entirely new weapons as well. They are not the same species as the ones from Xen, though it is likely they are controlled by the same brain thingy (can't for the life of me remember its name).

Umm, fyi Xen is called a 'Crossroads' of the universe and that NONE of the species there are native to it, so yes those aliens are from Xen.

Edit: Or none of them are

PS: Still doesn't change the fact that Valve owns all 3 expansions.

For the record here, the Half Life split offs are officially semi-cannon until further notice.

In other words, they confirm things when they confirm things and not a moment sooner.

So Shephard isn't necessarily out of the picture yet...

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!

:o Just read an article on GI that stated VALVe is NO LONGER DOING EPISODIC GAMES!!! Proof for HL3... I hope so.

:o Just read an article on GI that stated VALVe is NO LONGER DOING EPISODIC GAMES!!! Proof for HL3... I hope so.

Just confirms what I've been saying all along.

And I already knew this since they haven't released any new episodic game since Episode 2. And that was, what, 3-4-5 years ago now?

Link or no go.

From Gabe Newell:

Although, from the outside world, we have no evidence that Half-Life is working on any frequency at all.

I'd say this is a *hint hint nudge nudge* confirmation that the next Half Life installment is at least being worked on in some form. Though that was pretty much a sure thing in my eyes.

I've been thinking about the possobility that they jump off to HL3 inmediately, being the story that Gordon and Alyx never went to the borealis and stayed in White Forest (Hell, i couldnt travel if my dad had just died like that, not even in the apocalyptic future).

So maybe we're 5 years after EP2, gordon and alyx are still fighting the combine, Alyx takes Eli's place and doesnt get in the battlefield so often. Something new has to appear, if not EP3 woulf be like EP1, just you with the rebels on the city...(or the forest) fighting combine...

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

I actually kind of prefer non-episodic games. I thought it was interesting to play episodes but in the end, I kinda just want one big experience.

I agree definitely. HL1 and HL2 are these sweeping stories that really take enough time that you have enough time to really get immersed. I liked the content of episode 2, but it's length kind of decreases my opinion of it.

I've been thinking about the possobility that they jump off to HL3 inmediately, being the story that Gordon and Alyx never went to the borealis and stayed in White Forest (Hell, i couldnt travel if my dad had just died like that, not even in the apocalyptic future).

So maybe we're 5 years after EP2, gordon and alyx are still fighting the combine, Alyx takes Eli's place and doesnt get in the battlefield so often. Something new has to appear, if not EP3 woulf be like EP1, just you with the rebels on the city...(or the forest) fighting combine...

But then the combine would be able to steal aperture science portal technology ,perfect it and conquer the world.AGAIN

What about gordon being on coma? what a ripoff that would be

The future of gaming lies in realistic simulations of extraordinary realities

"I am drunk, you dont have an excuse"