Factorio

This is a great game, if you like automation, solving logistical problems, eg: problems with mass supply of resources, problems with power, etc.  Or, if you like Trains. 

The game has a very robust Train System within it, which is entirely optional, in that it is not required in any way to complete the game.  It is, however, extremely satisfying and fun for me, as someone who like the Idea of model trains as a child, but could never really get into them seriously because of space reasons, how annoying and fiddly a really complex setup was to make, and because it all felt somewhat pointless.  As in, you could speed your trains around, but to no real end, or purpose.

Factorio fixes these things, firstly by having some very nice features for smooth building of tracks and whatnot, features to help automate train movement, and most importantly, by giving your trains purpose!  These are not passenger trains, or tourist trains.  These are Goods Trains, designed to carry vast amounts of cargo, over middle-long, or Very Long distances, extremely fast.  Trains, managed well, are far and away The Best method at your disposal of transporting goods around your factory, no other method comes close at any distance beyond one or two screen widths.  (Besides a certain exploit but never mind that.)

If you like the logistical challenges the basic game offers you, you will love trains as well, since the problems and challenges associated with loading and unloading cargo from trains, as well as the designing of a Rail network capable of handling multiple trains - no upper limit there friends :) - are some of the most complex and challenging parts of the game.

The basic game itself, is also excellent, especially during the early-mid game where things are relatively small, and the hassles of the slightly clunky building controls are not as noticeable.  My recommendation is to absolutely invest into Construction Robotics as soon as you possibly can, as the mid-late game will become really unpleasant if you are still manually placing all your components.  This is, incidentally, the only real complain I have with the game, as the primary activity is placing and rotating entities to assemble your factory, but the actual controls and mechanisms for doing so are pretty clunky.  Tolerable at a small scale, but construction robots and blueprints are the only way I can play the late game.

Having said all this, the game is about as feature complete, and polished, at this point, as any so called finished game (ie: not choosing to label itself Early Access).  So, anyone who wants to, feel free to give it a go now, it is certainly more feature complete than Anthem (Anthem currently, btw, not even at launch).  I recommend buying it on GOG by the way, as they have some excellent and convenient rollback features, that essentially can be used to play the game at any patch version you choose, which I really like.

If you're an industrial engineer this is a game literally made for people like you, stop reading and go buy it. Factorio is a game in which you build elaborate systems of production that feel more like solving fun puzzles more than filling in cells on a spreadsheet (though that may occur in the later game). You harvest resources and the process them into various products, and the greatest moments in the game are when you finish working on one particular part of your production line, and then zoom out to see you've covered half the landscape in machinery.

There is some PvE in which aliens can attack your factory if the pollution produced by your machines starts affecting their nests, which can sometimes end up effectively splitting the game into two halves where you have to momentarily stop your planning and building to play a sub-par isometric shooter, but it is a minority of gameplay hours.

The sound and art are good, matching the industrial feel of the game well. In general, if you don't like game that focus on strategy and puzzle games, this might not be for you, but for under half the price of a triple A release, you'll probably get more out of this game.

Posted (edited)

I feel like I would rather get a job instead of playing Factorio. I don't know, I don't really get the appeal.

Life is hard enough, I feel like you could probably learn some actual computer skills, instead of playing this game.

I feel like most of the challenge just comes down to the fact that, it's just really time consuming.

Elite Dangerous also gave me this vibe. I feel like I could beat Factorio if I wanted to, but it just sorta feels like a huge waste of time, it's difficult to explain.

I wouldn't say that the game is necessarily bad, but if you think that programming is actually fun, to me you are pretty much, the most boring person on the planet. I really wouldn't call this problem solving, I don't know, I really didn't find the game that hard, it just wasted a lot of my time mostly.

I could solve a problem properly in Factorio and do it well, or I could just, not do that, and learn an actual life skill.

I just think the time needed to learn how to do anything is too high. You seriously could learn how to draw, how to paint, how to make music, instead of playing Factorio. I don't know... I just value time very differently I guess, but this game requires wayyyy too much god damn thinking for me, I feel like I would rather just, go learn something, instead of playing this.

Something about this game is just mind blowingly boring to me, like I got to the oil part, and I automated it, but I just want to shoot myself, I feel like I wasted my time, for no real reason. And I really forced myself to play through this, like I honest to god tried to.

Factorio is also already solved essentially. What's the point of coming up with my own solution, when someone else already has done that. Factorio makes me question my life choices, that's all, I really have to give this game a hard pass.

I think there's a huge difference between a puzzle which, maybe takes you like 30 seconds to get, or five minutes in the worst case scenario, and Factorio is not that type of game. Honestly I would rather play Portal 1 instead.

I might be weird, but generally I don't see the value with wasting time on something which has already been figured out, generally I would rather build on top of the existing knowledge, and Factorio really clashes with a lot of my personal values.

I feel like when a game's learning curve is so high, to the point where, learning an actual real life skill takes less time, to me it gets to the point where I really cannot justify playing a game of this kind anymore. Something about this game really bugs me, and I can't put it into words.

I don't know I feel like, the people who are that dedicated to Factorio, either don't play too many games, or they either play through the same games until they have a thousand hours in each. This is a very strange audience, and I'm just not part of it. I really crave variety, and to me Factorio is nothing more than, a bunch of colored icons you match togheter, to get more colored icons.

My base was pretty clean if anything, my design was extremely simple, and I really didn't struggle at all, after I figured out a bunch of minor tricks. So I didn't give up on the game because I was doing bad at it, not by any means. It just took some experimenting, before I decided what my base would look like overall. But I don't know, I didn't feel like it was worth it.

This game just feels like work, the whole thing is just, one giant chore, and I really want to play games to relax after a hard day, jeez I don't want to work even harder, I don't want to work for my entertainment. Nobody should ever have to work to entertain themselves. That's just a bit too much.

I think I'll stick to dumb games, like Dynasty Warriors 3 on easy, or Need For Speed - The Run.

I guess my conclusion is, that, the only people who play this game, are masochists, who have too much free time to spend.

I feel like generally my time is a bit more valuable than this, and I wouldn't want to spend so many hours on a game, to make my own fun.

This whole game just confuses me mostly. I guess it fills a huge niche, but it's not for me, for sure.

Playing this game doesn't leave me very accomplished, or entertained, and I don't think I've ever had fun playing it.

I don't think I'll ever be able to get my full thoughts out, as to why I really don't like these types of games.

Maybe I'm just wired to hate all puzzles forever, I don't know how my brain works.

I don't mind that though, it makes it easier to just cheat with a walkthrough, whenever I feel like bypassing a puzzle.

I know that the internet tends to not be kind to such opinions, but I just wanted to get it out of my system mostly.

All I know is, that life's too short for Factorio. Also if I ever see another god damned belt.

Guess I would rather blow shit up. Deep down though, I actually think Factorio is way more swallow than it seems at it's core.

Edited by RaTcHeT302