Waking Mars

Sign in to follow this  

This game is really neat. The actual gameplay is pretty simple, and because you're building dynamic systems there are some broken positive feedback loops that you can create and some randomness to your success sometimes, but it's a nicely executed idea that stops a bit short of being mindblowing. Similarly, the art is a step short of gorgeous, and the writing is a step short of funny, but it's clear that real passion went into this game. It's fairly short, but it's a good experience; certainly one of the most unique games I've played.

Very simple yet beautiful looking game which has nice unique settings.

There are some minor drawbacks with the game characters. The main hero is played really well, but the woman scientist (sorry, forgot her name) sometimes acts too cartoonish. That's not how human being sent to a space mission would act. "Ok, you're going to die soon . Btw, wow, that a great slug on a wall, could you get me a sample!" ... ??? - Yeah, sure, but I'm a little busy now trying not to die here, milady. The AI behaviour is kinda childish too, but at least it's AI, you can't blame it for anything, that's how it was programmed!

Nevertheless, it's good. I hope there would be more plot-heavy games like this about "normal" scientists doing cool stuff and exploring alien worlds and not just some brutes with guns kicking asses. 

Edited by Nidhoggr (see edit history)