A note about serious topics (and others)

I want to say I've been largely absent from the forums for a while since I can be so busy, but I wanted to clarify some things:

-I don't approve of topics being locked if the subject isn't trying to be a troll or something really inflammatory to begin with.  If people can't discuss things in a civil manner, then they can get warnings or temporary bans, etc. not close the discussion itself.

-The internet is more polarized since when I started these forums, so it will doubtlessly lead to more conflict.  The rule of thumb here is if you act like an adult, you don't have anything to worry about.

1 hour ago, Ross Scott said:

The internet is more polarized since when I started these forums, so it will doubtlessly lead to more conflict.  The rule of thumb here is if you act like an adult, you don't have anything to worry about.

I believe the fact that society is more polarized than ever is even more reason to take part in those discussions. It shows people that you can have such discussion and be civil about it, because seeing too much of bad examples makes people automatically except bad things and act accordingly. 

This is why I hate social media. It naturally creates environment fueling such behavior.

I'm probably babbling too much, responding to part of post that wasn't even opposed to my opinion.

Sounds like maybe someone got reported for being opposed to someone else's viewpoints... Or for being a dick...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

17 minutes ago, RaTcHeT302 said:

I don't know, social media is just another way to get your ideas out, I don't like the people who use it, but the platform itself is okay. (or at least, the idea behind the platform)

It's not like forums are immune to being biased, there's always going to be, some kind of group. It just depends on how you manage it.

I think it's difficult to have a truly neutral userbase. People will find reasons to not get along sometimes to be honest.

Well, I see many fundamental differences between forums and social media. For once social media are global and that means

1. You don't know and won't get to know most people you talk with.  When on forum you also know them as not only some who just said something awful, but you know, people.
  2. They cannot be moderated in the same way. Rules on social media must be applicable to everyone and you can't relay on good moderation.

Aside from that we must rely on algorithms to bring us content that they bring worthy – meaning content which will make you stay longer on the page, which tends to be flammatory.

Edited by Prinny (see edit history)

I pinned this because it's important and can get lost in between the other posts as this subforum is one of the more active ones. 

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.