The Urbz: Sims In The City

Sign in to follow this  

Hey everyone, first time poster here, I wanted to share one of my all time favourite soundtracks from one of my all time favourite games. If you've ever played a Sims game, I doubt you'd ever expect them to end up on the Gameboy of all consoles, but lo and behold, the Urbz: Sims in the City is an open world game released on the GBA and is not only one of the best looking GBA games ever released, but also in my personal opinion, the best Sims game ever made. Unfortunately, the soundtrack is really horrible quality, but I'd love to see if anybody here experienced in MIDI can work their magic and un-compress the audio. If you're interested at the prospect of a Sims game on the GBA, I promise you it's unlike anything you've ever played, and I totally recommend it. I plan to do a video on my own Game Dungeon-esque show soon, but I'm not sure self promotion is allowed here, so I'll leave it at that until I can learn more :)

Posted (edited)

I tried to play the console release and it was really rough. Also that sound quality is pretty common in GBA games.

The Max Payne GBA soundtrack depresses me though, it's so generic, it's really bad, and it's attached to a really fun game, but you really need to experience the game on the right platform, GBA is not it. Also to me, all GBA soundtracks are kinda bad, no matter how cool the music might sound, the awful GBA quality, and general blandness ruins the music for me.

Honestly a lot of these tracks need to remade properly, before they can sound any better.

I feel like the tracks in Urbz are also kinda bland, but that's just because of the technical limits I guess.

It didn't stop older consoles from accomplishing better sounding music though.

Honestly I find the Sega Genesis sound to be way more impressive. It's extremely clean compared to GBA.

Edited by RaTcHeT302

Posted (edited)

I did actually play the Max Payne GBA game! I'm something of an aficionado for good Gameboy games, and the Max Payne game really surprised me with just how excellently they managed to capture the core gameplay of the PC port with such a limited control set. That ambient music is also great. EDIT: I say "great" considering the quality, but I'm a bit too used to that sort of sound by now for it to even bother me, otherwise I can totally understand where you're coming from.

Edited by sleepjie

Just now, sleepjie said:

I did actually play the Max Payne GBA game! I'm something of an aficionado for good Gameboy games, and the Max Payne game really surprised me with just how excellently they managed to capture the core gameplay of the PC port with such a limited control set. That ambient music is also great.

Ah, I guess you were a bigger fan than I was of GBA games, personally I would rather just play PC releases, or the original releases.

I think butchering the Max Payne theme is a crime against humanity though. I feel like, the soul of the music is mostly lost in the portable version.

2 minutes ago, sleepjie said:

I say "great" considering the quality, but I'm a bit too used to that sort of sound by now for it to even bother me, otherwise I can totally understand where you're coming from.

What's with the bongos though. Max feelin' a lil' bit tropical? Mhh... I guess that explains why he went to Brazil of all places after all.

BONGOS, bom bom bom

Just now, RaTcHeT302 said:

Ah, I guess you were a bigger fan than I was of GBA games, personally I would rather just play PC releases, or the original releases.

I think butchering the Max Payne theme is a crime against humanity though. I feel like, the soul of the music is mostly lost in the portable version.

I'm with you on that front, I think if you're going to listen to the theme you should always opt for the higher quality version, but I think there's just a certain charm to that really awful quality of GBA noise that speaks to my nostalgic side. I think they did well with what they had, and that's an important thing to keep in mind. I don't much like comparing apples to oranges, so to speak. 

1 minute ago, RaTcHeT302 said:

What's with the bongos though. Max feelin' a lil' bit tropical? Mhh... I guess that explains why he went to Brazil of all places after all.

BONGOS, bom bom bom

I wasn't sure why they switched over to HEALTH with their more "electronic" sound for MP3 either, but they absolutely killed it, so I'm not complaining.

4 minutes ago, sleepjie said:

I'm with you on that front, I think if you're going to listen to the theme you should always opt for the higher quality version, but I think there's just a certain charm to that really awful quality of GBA noise that speaks to my nostalgic side. I think they did well with what they had, and that's an important thing to keep in mind. I don't much like comparing apples to oranges, so to speak. 

I don't know, the only thing I know is that, in most cases, a lot of these games were honestly just cash grabs. I don't have a lot of nostalgia for games which tend to not age very well. Generally I like to be fairly honest, when it comes down to a game's quality, and I often find myself, liking more modern, newer games in some cases.

Generally I don't tend to be kind to things which are old, I've seen plenty of things which age really stupid well, and some which just, fall flat on their face. I have this belief that, genuinely good stuff, will hold up, no matter how long it has been since it was made.

I'm not very impressed by GBA, considering that somehow, old games in the 90s had better music, it just seems a bit backwards to me.

I'm getting more general now, but I also often feel like some games, make other games redundant for me.

Like I can't stand Call of Duty 1, it's so boring, but Advanced Warfare? Sure I'll play, I would rather play that instead.

Another game for me would be Fallout 4. I'm glad that I don't have to torture myself with Fallout 3 anymore, at least shooting stuff is fun, even if the rest of the game was, mostly ehhh in my mind, like the Fallout 76 map looks way more interesting from what I managed to look at.

Anyway if I ever stumble on good GBA music I'll try to send it your way.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, sleepjie said:

I wasn't sure why they switched over to HEALTH with their more "electronic" sound for MP3 either, but they absolutely killed it, so I'm not complaining.

Ah, I wasn't a fan of the soundtrack, it just made me want to listen to the old one.

And Max is somehow, for some reason, 200% depressed.

QUIT DRINKING MAX, YOU ARE RUINING THE GAME, THIS IS TOO SAD.

Sao Paulo will never be the same ever again.

Edited by RaTcHeT302