Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak

If one thought Deus Ex HR was a needless prequel (that may or may not had found its own footing) then you might think the same of Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak. It told a story that, frankly, didn't need to be told and no one really cared for. There was nothing new or special about the gameplay and the plot made it even more restrictive by forming it around a single campaign of a bigger war.

Maybe I just wanted something more like Dune II/Dune 2000/Battle for Dune.... Or a proper Homeworld 2/Homeworld 3. It definitely felt lukewarm and a 'series killer'.

I found the endless barrage of slow ass cutscenes to be such a huge turn off, I even tried to remove them, but it would've been more work for not much of a payoff, the gameplay looked really boring.

I first learned of this game through Noah Caldwel-Gervais, and I got interested enough to research Let's Plays and now... well, only if it is super-mega cheap I'll give it a go for the same reasons described above.

This game is great. The campaign kind of keeps you on your back foot the whole time. the chatter by the units is really what drives your immersion in it. They should have done more with the terrain and unit line of sight mechanic than they did but it's definitely worth checking out.

The first Homeworld  is my favorite PC game of all time so I went into this expecting to be disappointed and now I'm having a good time instead.

This is the weakest game in the series by a long shot but in a time where RTS games are pretty rare this is holding me over pretty well.