UE4 Horrible Colors

Sign in to follow this  

I'm not really experienced with the engine, but the colors are pissing me off, beyond monkeying around with the Tone Mapper, is there no real way to fix this?

I'm willing to recompile the whole engine if I have to, as I'm running off the source. If no one has a solution, I guess I'll have to torture myself to figure this out.

I don't want just some console commands, I want an actual in engine fix. So anything which changes the source code, I'm 100% fine with.

My result looks pretty horrible, everything is too dark, but at least the colors are far more accurate. It's also way too blinding.

Anyway, if no one has any ideas, I guess I'll have to spend some days breaking down the Tone Mapper, it's the only thing I can think off to do so far.

I wonder if generally the lighting is simply too flat \ not bright enough. But I wonder if the image is generaly grey \ has a blue-ish hue. Otherwise, the colors are almost correct, but they are slightly off. I'll have to experiment a lot first, as I've never really worked with a modern engine before.

DMRGyZb.png

This looks nicer, but the colors are all wrong. It's 100% innacurate. Everything is also overly dark.

6VVIyii.png

Setting the Sky Light to 0 Intensity also seems to get rid of some blue hues, but I'm not sure if that's really needed? I'll have to do a ton of research on this, there's no information on the internet. I GUESS MOST PEOPLE ARE FINE WITH THESE HORRIBLY INNACURATE COLORS, BLAAH.

uIktWT8.png

Here's what the final result should look like. It shouldn't be orange, that's the wrong color.

aJWWOLY.png

I screwed around with the exposure, and I reset the map, I also removed the vignette and some other crap. Something looks off to me though...

u1PQkpg.png

ShowFlag.ToneMapper 1

KOrc4q9.png

ShowFlag.ToneMapper 0 (grey filter goes away, scene is suddenly more vivid, brighter, so i wasn't imagining it at least, it looks much more pleasant)

aRBA9ND.png

SopCwLb.png

(Tone Mapper Off, Adjusted Exposure, Pure White Textures) Oops, I crashed the editor somehow, anyway after compiling the lighting, this horrid grey filter is even more visible.

ZZ4Yj10.png

(Tone Mapper On) LOOK AT THIS MESS, THAT BACKGROUND COLOR IS PURE WHITE, WHY DID IT TURN GREY???

S2p7uKG.png

wtf

J8rsys7.png

*sob*

my quest to unfuckup the colors continues?? do i really have to turn off the whole tone mapper???

Also wow, I just noticed how much noise these shadows actually have, is this why everything was horribly darkened by default?

Edited by RaTcHeT302

Okay, apparently the tonemapper, is at fault. Also HDR. Also everything about the engine designed to be more movie like.

This is the old "crappy" tone mapper".

MyYj1pM.png

This is the new "MOVIE LIKE" tone mapper. Unreal Engine 4 developers who think that this looks perfectly fine are out of their fucking mind.

mA0ptvO.png

What the fuck?

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Engine/Rendering/PostProcessEffects/ColorGrading/index.html#legacytonemapper

"BUT THE BALL HAS MORE OF A GRAD-"

SHUT Up, I WANT MY COLORS BACK - Besides, we are not making games out of balls are we.

GIONw18.png

Oh... well you got me there. (it's Kula World on PlayStation 1)

Anyway, I'll post more if I figure things out. I'm sure as hell not going back to the defaults though.

XC08lTD.png

tl:dr: turn off the tonemapper for now (push @ in game, type showflag.tonemapper 0) or in the game's level blueprint, here's a screenshot i stole from somewhere else hHdwY3n.png

select the post process volume, type exp in the search bar, increase the min exposure and max exposure, i forgot what menu to change that in, oops, 0,70 is ok for me - select the sky light? set the intensity or something to 0, i forgot, use the highest quality baked shadows (dynamic shadows suck ass?)

turn off vignette, turn off bloom (it sucks, it's not just the sun, it's OVER THE WHOLE GOD DAMN SCENE)

turn off whatever crappy ass film post process effects you can turn off, i forgot what else you can do (turn off motion blur, you maniac)

these are only workarounds, i'm still looking for a real solution

there's some setting called blend weight or something? i forgot where you set it, sorry - you should keep that on 1.0, or you won't be able to turn off the motion blur, and other crap off anymore, that was painful to find out, and i'm documenting it for any poor sods, who thought that they broke the engine forever

the post process volume is applied everywhere, ignore that square box you see in the editor - it's set to "unbound", which means, "apply everywhere on the map"

why isn't that an actor? like in the source engine (they had a weird way of doing world settings, but it was intuitive mostly)

Edited by RaTcHeT302

That tonemapper issue is why I've never really liked UE3/4 engine products... They just don't come close to a realistic feel to the image quality. (something which I still consider HL2 to have nailed, despite how old it is)

Good luck finding a true fix for the issue.

11 hours ago, BTGBullseye said:

That tonemapper issue is why I've never really liked UE3/4 engine products... They just don't come close to a realistic feel to the image quality. (something which I still consider HL2 to have nailed, despite how old it is)

Good luck finding a true fix for the issue.

I feel like it's very easy to break the lighting, and as a begginer it's pretty gut wrenching to screw up the whole level with one minor change.

I'm also not really happy with the shadows, or with dynamic shadows in general. I think the fact that I don't have any assets ready doesn't help, as I can't really test things properly. I hope to make the process a bit easier to get into though.

Whitebox testing is probably okay for accuracy reasons, but I need some complicated models, to actually see if shit is rendering correctly. Everything might look perfectly fine at first, but then I throw in the actual level, and for all I know it's all irreversibly fucked.

There's a lot of unknowns I have to get into, so that sucks. I think a lot of people generally find my lack of knowledge to be almost laughable, I know that people like me are generally not encouraged, seeing as I have a more head on approach to things. If I ask for any help, I'm likely to be told that, some of the questions I ask are "too simple" or "this stuff is too easy, just look it up dumbass", or "this is begginer's crap, now read this 1000 long pages book".

YOU KNOW THIS WOULDN'T BE SO BAD, IF THE EXISTING DOCUMENTATION WASN'T BASICALLY UNREADABLE.

I mean jeez, it doesn't even exist half the time. HEY WHAT DOES THIS SHADER DO, it shades things.

wow gee epic games, thanks for the very helpful comment!!! now i'm informed!!! (i'm not informed and i'm deeply lost and I've no idea of what i'm doing)

YOU SHOULD TAKE A THREE YEAR LONG COLLEGE, IN ORDER TO LEARN THIS FIVE MINUTE WORTH INFORMATION.

Man, I don't get programmers. I'll keep doing it my stupid way, it's stupid but I'll stupid my way through anything, I'm stubborn as hell.

I just have a ton of information to assimilate at once, and with my general lack of time, that doesn't help. I was playing around with the PCF shader, ShadowPercentageCloserFiltering.ush, or at least I think this is a shader, I don't know, but I didn't notice any changes.

It's easy to get rid of the tonemapper, the biggest problem for me is that, I have no idea how to consistently get a very specific lighting setup. In a source engine game it would be as easy as matching the skybox colors to your main light, but the default skybox is only blue, and I would like to have a more warm, yellow highlight instead, but it all looks really off. I suck ass so this is probably going to take me forever to figure out. As tempting as it is to make the sky yellow, I don't want to turn everything into Deus Ex Human Revolution daytime edition.

Maybe I should give up on day time lighting, and just make everything sunsetty, but I would like to learn how to do some proper vivid nice looking day time, without making it look like there has been nuclear fallout all over the place.

I'll just have to keep screwing around I guess, it's hard to find any documentation, or really any information, but I guess that's the drawback of learning solo, if you don't figure it out, you'll never figure it out. Ugh, and I want to learn too, I wish I had more time. I have all the motivation in the world to do this properly, don't get me wrong, I JUST NEED MORE TIME DAMMIT, I NEED MORE TIME.

Anyway I'm willing to say that I suck ass at this, I really have no shame in that, I'm just trying to solve the problem, I don't care about the steps.

Edited by RaTcHeT302

I'm actually considering just, using Godot instead. I mean honestly, if they add Vulkan support, I don't even see the point in wasting my time with the Unreal Engine 4.

If I can get Godot, to look as good, or better than this, then I'm honestly done with Unreal.

lSUP0BD.png

I'm willing to give up all the flashy features to be honest. There's just so much crap you need to deal with, it honest to god is never ending.

Besides, Godot only takes up MEGABYTES of space. Honestly it bothers me to no end how bloated the Unreal Engine is.

I mean look at this shit, this is ridiculous. What the hell is this?? WHAT'S THE 80 GBs FOR.

30QwZBy.png

Why is it so bloated... I'm wondering if maybe I should just take the risk with Godot. Sure the engine is younger, and messier, but compiling, and storing the Unreal Engine 4 alone is such a pain. And besides, out of the box it doesn't even look that good.

Godot has all kinds of other problems of its own though. PICK YOUR OWN POISON KIDS, YEAH!

It's like trying to choose, which gun I want to shoot myself with. They both hurt in equal amounts. One more than the other.

The end result is the same though.

Edited by RaTcHeT302

1 hour ago, BTGBullseye said:

Have you considered the Torque 3D engine?

no, right now i'm jumping between UE4 and Godot, I wasn't happy with other alternatives, what sucks about Godot is that it's still very young as an engine, and I need a more long term engine

the unreal engine 4 is far more intuitive, but it's so bloated, while i'm not much of a fan of the workflow on godot, and the ui kinda sucks, plus i need something for large landscapes \ large draw distances, and the 3D in godot is not there yet for me - maybe the engine itself is perfectly fine, but it's kinda hard not to lean towards the unreal engine 4, considerng how much progress they made after they released fortnite

i'm also very ignorant, and i've got a lot to learn, so i don't want this choice to bite me in the back in the future, i gotta think about it

there are a lot of unknowns for me, as i don't know a whole lot yet

godot only being a couple of mbs is very tempting for me, it's way easier to build on top than the unreal engine 4, and maybe i should just make the game on godot, and wait for the engine to be updated over time, but i don't know, i'm not sure how much am i giving up, by using godot now, instead of just torturing myself with the unreal engine 4

anyway i think turning off the tonemapper was the only solution, the colors look fine otherwise i think

nYgTtzt.png

i wish i had some textures to slap onto an unreal engine 4 scene, and some 3d models, i'll have to figure something out, as i want to see how easy it'll be for me to work with the engine - i gotta use the engine myself before i can tell if i like it, that's the main problem for me at least, i don't know what makes a good engine, and i want to go with the one which allows me to make the game, in the easiest, least painful way - i don't really know how to get my point across, but i hope to figure it out

i need to do some more research otherwise, but otherwise i don't want to waste my time, to work with an unfinshed engine, i'd rather take the more rough unreal engine 4, and customize it myself, even if it turns out to be a pain

graphically both engines look the same (i might be wrong), or at least, i can get the level of graphics from both engines (just an assumption), but again, i'll go with the one, which has the most intuitive workflow \ features which make complicated things easy

for one the material system from UE4 is hard to give up on, and a lot of the UI is way more polished \ easier to use

blueprints, i don't care much - i also want forward shading ideally, baked lights \ static shadows, with dynamic shadows for specific objects (cars, space ships, dynamic objects), otherwise i don't want the shadows to be fully dynamic

i really want to go for a lighting style similar to trackmania 2 valley, it looks really nice

fc5g6LC.jpg

Phun6aw.jpg

2gBJVL3.jpg

eX9UPIb.jpg

i don't like how materials in most unreal engine 4 games look glossy \ have a shine to them, so i totally want the textures to look pretty flat, but from what i've seen you can get rid of the shine anyway

i love how insanely detailled these shadows are

Id8zXXo.jpg

lighting

rDniL1K.png

anyway i don't really know what i'm talking about and it probably shows, but i do have some very specific needs, and i don't know if either engines full fill them

i think i'll give godot an honest shot, and i'll see what happens

Edited by RaTcHeT302

Well, what you're saying you want is kinda what is being shown as the norm in Torque 3D engine, hence my suggestion... http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque-3d

I'm really not trying to push you away from other engines, just trying to give you suggestions that meet your needs. (and it really does sound like it meets your needs)

Your answer sounded like it was either you didn't consider it, or you didn't like something about it... Which is it? If you didn't like something about it, what didn't you like?

Default Settings + Tone Mapper On

oPpyowi.png

Custom Settings + Tone Mapper On

ar1K8M2.png

Custom Settings + Tone Mapper Off

7NcN24W.png

I don't know if there's something wrong with my monitor, but the grey squares, blend into the black so badly for me.

On 9/25/2019 at 2:05 AM, BTGBullseye said:

Which is it? If you didn't like something about it, what didn't you like?

I don't know, I just don't care much about it.

1 hour ago, RaTcHeT302 said:

I don't know, I just don't care much about it.

But you outright said you were considering other engines to try and get around this issue... 😕

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, BTGBullseye said:

But you outright said you were considering other engines to try and get around this issue... 😕

I don't know, the colors are fixable from what I'm seeing, and from my research Torque is stuck in limbo right now, and to me Godot just seems like the most obvious replacement for that.

So far other engines need to out do the Unreal Engine 4 or Godot for me, plus these engines are actively funded and developed, and that's pretty important to me in the long term. I cannot develop, and I honestly don't want to make a whole game engine by myself.

If someone else can do all the hard work for me, while I focus on the game, that's pretty cool. And I do like some of the more flashy features of the Unreal Engine 4. It's really hard for me to justify giving up on this engine, when the new physics system is getting added. That's like, dream project material for me.

That's just something which would likely take me too long to figure out on my own, the fact that the engine might have that as the default physics engine, means that I'm saving myself a ton of time, and a lot of pain in the future. So I don't know, it might just be for show, but man, I'd kill to put that feature to good use in an actual game (and I do have a use for it).

If I pick Torque, and if I'm stuck on it, while all the other engines move forward, I'm kinda screwed. At least I feel like if I pick the Unreal Engine 4, I kinda know what pain I'm getting into, and there are also some pretty clear benefits which I cannot ignore about it.

Personally I'm scared of making the wrong choice in the long term, so I really don't want to go for an engine, which is not as widely used.

If I stumble on some obscure problem, I'm on my own mostly. Torque just seems too risky to me.

I'm also afraid of giving up on the performance of the Unreal engine, I'm likely going to be pretty sucky \ awful at making the game, so I'll take whatever advantage I can. I'm throwing myself into the deep end, so I would like if the engine, could make up for some of my weaknesses.

Also this is a feature, which is kinda depressing to give up on. Like, the engine might be a giant mess... but man, this is really difficult for me to ignore.

Anyway, it's hard for me to not justify, not going with an engine, which has literally billions of dollars worth of funding.

It's that damn physics engine, it looks so much fun. It's flashy, but man the performance is great, it's too damn promising to ignore.

Edited by RaTcHeT302

I understand. Well, I hope you can figure out how to do everything you need, and I'll keep an eye and ear out for anything that might be relevant to you.