Atheism: Philosophically Redundant?

I think that main thing is related with group behaviour, inherent to all religions and belief systems (or political view, football team, skin color, sex, etc.). Atheists may feel part of a group just like christians feel part of their religion.

So, from that point of view we can say that they only have a different beliefs, because science is also a belief. Many people assumes that science is absolute truth, but in fact science is only a model of nature, just like religions but with a different language and way of think.

I mentioned group behaviour because that is the thing that can be nocive. Because if you feel superior by being part of a certain group, you will think that others are not as important as you and yours. So, everyone else is going to finish in hell while your people and you will be happy in heaven for ever. That's black and white and life is not so simple.

So, from that point of view we can say that they only have a different beliefs, because science is also a belief. Many people assumes that science is absolute truth, but in fact science is only a model of nature, just like religions but with a different language and way of think.

+rep just for saying that.

Science is supposed to be what you perceive through your 5 senses, and not what most people here seem to think it is...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I think we should all just assume Gman controls everything from behind the curtains.

It makes a lot more sense than you think.

R.I.P Stephen "Anti-Social Fatman" Bray

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

I think we should all just assume Gman controls everything from behind the curtains.

It makes a lot more sense than you think.

But until he doesn't show up, freeze the time and you make sure that a gunshot does nothing to him, it will be a belief as valid as others rather than a truth.

science is also a belief

Not quite. Unless you think that mathematics is also a "belief".

Many people assumes that science is absolute truth, but in fact science is only a model of nature, just like religions but with a different language and way of think.

Not quite. Science uses evidence and tries to falsify itself. Religion.........doesn't.

Not quite. Science uses evidence and tries to falsify itself. Religion.........doesn't.

Religion usually does, you just don't accept their evidence.

What evidence is that? I keep getting told that I don't accept their evidence but whenever I ask for evidence, I never get it.

Just returning the favor.

Never said I did here... You just said that you keep getting told that. I responded that they're just returning the favor.

And how do you know that? What claims have I been making that I haven't provided evidence for?

See entire "Creation vs Evolution" thread...

So, if Athiesm doesn't use any science at all for its belief, does that mean Science is now a religious belief?

R.I.P Stephen "Anti-Social Fatman" Bray

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

Religion usually does, you just don't accept their evidence.

Dude, if there was one scrap of evidence for religion that was unfalsifiable and demonsterable then I would accept religion. There is not, stop making up bullshit answers.

So, if Athiesm doesn't use any science at all for its belief, does that mean Science is now a religious belief?

Atheism is a lack of belief in a certain proposition. Science is a method used to gain understanding of the world/universe we live in. The two aren't as intimately connected as some seem to think.

I don't know what definition of "religious belief" you are going by but I have yet to hear one that would fit to describe the scientific method. For something to be considered a scientific theory it has to be repeatable, falsifiable and make predictions. Newtons theory of gravity for example could be used to calculate orbits and such very precisely so that when they launch spacecraft to a planet/moon they know where to "aim" to hit their mark just as it crosses their path. Another example would be the theory of evolution. It was thought of before the discovery of DNA, and once that was discovered scientists knew that if different organisms didn't share common DNA the Darwinian theory would be falsified, since it postulates that all species are related and share common ancestry. As you probably know this turned out to be correct which made it into a very convincing prediction made by the theory.

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.