Debugging Phantom Device Lock ups(NUC 8 i3)

Sign in to follow this  

Hey yall, I've been running into random device lock ups on the NUC8 running Ubuntu 18.04. Basically, the every now and then, the device would completely freeze. No usb or ssh. Temps are logging ~45 on all cores, netconsole and kernel crash dumps don't produce anything.  The only indicator I have of anything going wrong is null characters being written to the logs around the time of the freeze.

If the kernel isn't panicking, I don't know how to debug anything lower than that.  Anyone have any suggestions?

"You don't get to bring friends."

9 hours ago, Im_CIA said:

Anyone have any suggestions?

Yeah, tell Intel and get them to fix it. This is the problem with these kind of devices, not much you can do when this stuff starts happening.

bi ti ʤi ˈbulzaɪ

That's like the second to last thing I want to do.

I think it's something to do with the cstates. There is a known freezing issue but only on baytrail processors.

Update: applied that cstate workaround that was for baytrail to 8 devices. So far no freezes.

On 10/30/2019 at 5:40 PM, Im_CIA said:

Update: applied that cstate workaround that was for baytrail to 8 devices. So far no freezes.

hurray we did nothing

6 hours ago, Im_CIA said:

Update: got a lock up

db3.png

awww

15 hours ago, Im_CIA said:

Update: got a lock up

db3.png

As I said, tell Intel to fix it.

bi ti ʤi ˈbulzaɪ

5 hours ago, Im_CIA said:

It ain't that easy, my guy

Why? Is it stolen or something? If not, Intel would likely rather figure out how to fix it than not.

bi ti ʤi ˈbulzaɪ

Forgot about this thread.

NUC(s), plural. Hadrware wasn't my choice. It's still a problem, but updating the BIOS has increased the uptime somewhat.