Videochat November 2019

On 11/10/2019 at 3:17 PM, NightNord said:

I thought SOMA is universally hated. It would be interesting to know what Ross would think. I would bet he's also going to hate it.

You might not like it, but this is the first time I've heard that sentiment. I have to assume you're not thinking of another game since you mentioned Frictional's Amnesia in the same sentence. In fact checking Wikipedia it looks like it was reviewed fairly well and sold more than Amnesia. (they are very different games though)

I just finished SOMA the other day thanks to the free Epic promotion and it was quite good. Not perfect by any stretch. The problems it had seemed like they were a result of budget. The story is nothing special if you're already familiar with digital immortality and AI. No idea if Ross would like it. Might be too boring / tedious in parts. I'm a big fan of stealth games and still felt the hiding and waiting was pretty annoying in this one.

On 11/7/2019 at 7:40 PM, Im_CIA said:

LInux is great for software development and little niches. But try anything beyond that, and the entire DIY aspect quickly regresses into a cargo cult of little rituals you have to do in order to get what you want out of it

On 11/8/2019 at 11:33 AM, RaTcHeT302 said:

i should be able to accomplish most tasks by simply clicking a few buttons, i shouldn't have to go through 50 steps, when, linux could handle the first 45, and let me to the last 5 by myself

i shouldn't have to scan a huge list of obscure commands, and just hope to god that i can google the right things, in order to hopefully find what i need - and if i can't find the info which i need, because i don't have an ui, that means that i can't just go by trial and error anymore, i'm pretty much stuck with a problem which i cannot solve

at least with windows, you can just click on a bunch of random buttons, and you might get a result eventually, and linux does have UI based software, but anything more advanced, usually demands you to use the command line

On 11/8/2019 at 1:28 AM, RaTcHeT302 said:

windows? just double click on the thingy, boom, done - jesus linux, windows does things like this for a reason you know, they weren't stupid in the 90s when they designed the OS, it clearly was made with accessibility in mind, it's just that windows 10 and the modern era of ui, care more about big flashy icons, with slow ass interfaces, than pure usability

I get where you are coming from, so here's a search text that helped me when I first began: how to do [insert your thing] in Ubuntu, Arch ect.  Also, this webpage lists the more important debian bash commands as well as the pacman/yay https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta so this will definitely help a newcomer. It should also be said that you can double click on icons even icons for windows programs if you have wine installed. This all being said though, learning all this shit isn't for everyone, and maybe there should be a more watered down linux os for the average joe that is still open sourced.