Blair Witch

Sign in to follow this  

This one is an exception to my movie-based games aversion, since I actually enjoyed the Blair Witch Project quite a bit and would like to wander the forest.

On 11/29/2019 at 8:57 AM, GabeTheGrump said:

Listed as Free to play, this isn't free to play as far as I know.

fixed

4/5 Walking sims often struggle to keep my attention, but the game kept the mood, and had enough going on with the camera, characters, mental episodes, and dog that it was able to entertain me for the duration. 

Decent atmosphere, some interesting gameplay elements, some unexciting but sparingly required combat mechanics... I was mostly on board until the final chapter which is one of the most torturously tedious sequences in any game of this kind that I've played. As far as the story is concerned...

Spoiler

I AM SO GOD DAMN SICK of horror game stories that are just weak variations on Silent Hill 2, and the story in this doesn't even have a natural flow or resolution to it. We know next to nothing about the main character's backstory until a giant plot dump at the end which feels disconnected and all over the place; the whole part about him having served in the military could have probably been left out entirely if one of the writers hadn't recently played Spec Ops: The Line and wanted to pay homage to it. One neat sort-of-twist is that the game's instructions trick you throughout the game into making decisions that lead you towards the worst ending, but since all endings are absolutely miserable this hardly felt meaningful. Overall I feel pretty let down and now totally agree with the scepticism towards Bloober Team being assigned to develop the Silent Hill 2 remake.