Game Art Directors and Their Hatred of Colors

Sign in to follow this  

I'm not sure if I've officially gone insane, but a new Need For Speed came out and I can't keep thinking to myself, as to how ugly the damn thing looks

cZlAjPy.png

there's something really strange going on here, i mean, the cars look like cars, but what the hell is going on with these colors, why is everything a muddy depressing ass grey, and what's with this game's obsession with the color purple, do people think that this actually looks good?

and why the fuck does this look like it was recorded on a broken camera? what the fuck

i really see a lot of people praising this game's graphics, and i'm just baffled

BYGrY8O.jpg

i stumbled on this screenshot on the internet, and man, this is horrendous, this has to be the most depressing looking racing game i've ever seen on the plane,

let's break it all down

okay so what am i looking at exactly - see those rainbow edges? yeah that's not a rainbow, that's an emulated camera defect, those lines are actually supposed to be white - i'm not joking, THIS IMAGE IS LITERALLY WRONG - THE GAME, IS DOING COLORS, WRONG

4zuEJeO.jpg

okay, this has to be worst than the 2005 bloom craze - now if you are not aware of the bloom craze, it looked a bit something like this

FOR SOME ODD REASON, PEOPLE THOUGHT IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA, IF EVERY SINGLE FUCKING THING IN EXISTENCE, HAD THE GLOW OF THE FUCKING SUN, APPLIED TO IT - this looks fucking horrible, I'VE SEEN OVERWATCH DO THIS, OVERWATCH, AND THAT'S A MODERN FUCKING GAME TOO

THIS IS A 2005 GAME, WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED IN 2005, WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA???

8vfrmZH.jpg

oh now you might be thinking, "THAT'S JUST A LOW QUALITY SCREENSHOT YOU DUMBASS, THERE'S NO WAY THE GAME LOOKS LIKE THAT"

8NCTo7w.png

NO, THE WHOLE GAME LOOKS LIKE A BLURRY ASS LOW BIT RATE YOUTUBE VIDEO, I'M NOT EVEN JOKING, IT LOOKS THIS HORRENDOUS

not only it looks like garbage, BUT IT'S ALSO HORRIBLE TO RECORD, BECAUSE WHENEVER YOU MOVE THE CAMERA, THE COMPUTER JUST GIVES UP, AND IT SHITS OUT PIXELS WHEREVER IT WANTS TO

now this makes wonder if game developers are secretly trying to get me to develop into some kind of drinking habit, because since the bloom craze, EVERY MOTHER FUCKER ON THIS FORSAKEN EARTH, DECIDED THAT ADDING A REAL LIFE CAMERA DEFECT, ON EVERYTHING, WOULD BE REALLY COOL

WHAT THE FUCK, THESE ARE NOT TREES, THEY ARE A MISTAKE OF NATURE, THIS IS AN ABOMINATION OF GOD

aQHpO7P.png

THIS IS FROM A MODERN GAME TOO, WHY WOULD WE PURPOSEFULLY MAKE THINGS LOOK LIKE SHIT??? WHOSE IDEAS WAS THIS???? WHAT THE FUCK

okay so what else is wrong with that need for speed screenshot?

it has been what, oh i don't fucking know, nearly two fucking decades, and our anti aliasing techniques still suck donkey dick

yeah nice, "straight" power lines you got there chump - oh and this game wants you to have a 4 GB VRAM graphics card too, and that's the result

xBqV177.png

yep

now this effect is really subtle, but did you notice how the edges, are really dark for some weird reason? that's a "vignette" effect, here, let me zoom the screenshot out so that you can see it

coj9eNq.png

notice how the edges, are way darker than the rest of the game?

HAwqNeH.png

why even do something like this? it just makes me wonder if my monitor is broken or something, the game doesn't look more visually pleasing or anything, this is just another dumb effect my graphics card needs to waste time on to process, and NOBODY SEEMS TO QUESTION WHY THEY DO IT

oh, it's just another dumb, image defect - THEY EMULATED AN ACTUAL PROBLEM, INTO A GAME

WBPn9OC.png

NO GAME DEVELOPERS, VIDEOGAMES ARE NOT MOVIES, MY MONITOR IS NOT A REAL CAMERA, WHY THE FUCK DO WE ADD THESE PROBLEMS ON PURPOSE??

WHO THE FUCK, WHY, i'm just baffled by this, why the fuck would anyone... i just, THIS IS STUPID, THIS IS ACTUALLY RETARDED

i'm losing my fucking mind over here guys, WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED, GAMES USED TO LOOK SO NICE, AND NOW THEY LOOK... DUMB

okay let's rewind and go back to the past, before the game industry went insane, what did games used to look like? well...

RyxOnkP.png

wow this is, really atmospheric, it has nice colors, and sure it looks a bit dated, but man this looks, comfortable? fun? actually doesn't look like shit? has a nice tone? has some mood to it? you know, WHAT A FUCKING VIDEOGAME SHOULD LOOK LIKE

J3koVed.png

this lighting is so nice, this looks like a place i'd love to snowboard in real life, and yeah, see, we can use the color purple in a good way, FOR LIGHTING

THAT'S RIGHT GUYS, OLDER GAMES, RELIED ON THINGS SUCH AS LIGHTING, AND MOOD, AND ACTUALLY TRYING TO NOT MAKE THINGS LOOK LIKE COMPLETE SHIT

okay let's go back to the modern era for a sec and oh god, this is horrendous, what the fuck happened

hjJjiC3.png

WHY IS EVERYTHING FUCKING GREY, WHY DOES THIS GAME LOOK SO FLAT NOW, WHERE DID ALL THOSE GORGEOUS HUES GO, WHERE IS MY MOOD

I MEAN, YEAH THAT FEELS COLD, BUT WHAT IS THIS, THE WORLD'S MOST DEPRESSING SNOWBOARDING GAME??? WHAT THE FUCK

now you might be thinking, is all hope lost, do modern games HAVE to look like complete shit?

NO, THAT'S BULLSHIT, WE CAN MAKE GOOD LOOKING GAMES, BUT NOBODY WANTS TO

W05gErl.png

i mean sure this screenshot isn't the greatest, but man, this screenshot has more in common with those playstation 2 era games, than the newer games which came out now, AND HEY LOOK, NO DUMB CAMERA EFFECTS, NO CHROMATIC ABERRATION, THE COLORS LOOK LIKE THEY SHOULD, THE IMAGE ACTUALLY LOOKS LIKE SOMETHING

WE CAN MAKE GAMES LOOK GOOD, SO WHY THE FUCK, DO MOST NEW GAMES, LOOK LIKE THIS???

0ANHiKh.jpg

this is just some random unreal engine 4 game, and here's one of the biggest problems i have so far, WHY IS EVERYTHING, SO SHINY, I SWEAR TO GOD, IS EVERYTHING IN THESE GAMES, MADE OUT OF DAMN PLASTIC, NOTHING IN REAL LIFE IS THIS SHINY, IT'S DRIVING ME INSANE

02Gh7ZF.jpg

THESE ARE CONSIDERED TO BE GOOD GRAPHICS???

qkPpv5p.jpg

GOOD GOD, WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THIS COLOR CORRECTION, AND WHY DOES IT LOOK LIKE A NUCLEAR BOMB WENT OFF IN THE BACKGROUND, THIS LOOKS FUCKING HORRIBLE

OH, YOU THINK I'M CHERRY PICKING, WHERE HERE'S SOME MORE DAMN PROOF

fBW733M.jpg

this is assassin's creed, A 2018 GAME

ugh, this almost looks nice, BUT WHY PURPLE, no wait, PURPLE GREY ASS FILTERS? WHO THE HELL THINKS MOTHERFUCKING PURPLE IS A GOOD COLOR, what the fuck is this nonsense, THIS GAME ACTUALLY LOOKS PRETTY COLORFUL, BUT IT HAS THESE HORRENDOUS FILTERS SLAPPED ON EVEERRYYYTHIIING

aB65vSE.jpg

54YTCLx.png

hey guys do you remember when dice was so mad, to the point where they start to ban people from changing the game's looks from this

zO8LwYN.jpg

to this?

qcmBrJL.jpg

i mean this still looks pretty horrible, but come on, it's a natural improvement, why would you ban people for this? just, why?

hey, game art directors? you can go fuck yourselves

and fuck videogames too

anyway this is either proof that i've gone insane, OR THAT THE INDUSTRY IS INSANE

i'm just fucking baffled that nobody is talking about this at all, AM I REALLY THE ONLY ONE WHO CARES THAT GAMES IN THE FUTURE, ARE GOING TO LOOK LIKE COMPLETE GARBAGE?

it seriously makes me want to NOT play newer games, just because i'd rather go back to the old ones, and i at least know that they won't look like complete fucking shit, like i'm not joking, i straight up skipped so many modern game releases, just because of how horrible they looked, and some of the games look really fun, but I CAN'T STAND THE DAMN COLORS, THEY LOOK HORRENDOUS

this is horrible, and i just don't get the point of any of these choices

Edited by RaTcHeT302 (see edit history)

I don't know ratchet, I'm not seeing purple... maybe it's a personal eyesight thing, like sometimes when I close one eye the view seems tinted more blue , and when I close the other it is tinted more red...

Yeah, the only purple is those purple arrows on the minimap by the dude's head.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Colorblindness is quite common, 1 in every 12 men suffer from some form of it. I bring this up because you're complaining a lot about games that are actually quite vibrant and colorful, and over-representation of colors that aren't over-represented. Consider getting your eyes checked.

That said, you're also quite demanding when it comes to color design. You can complain about Battlefield 3 having a blue tinge to it, but it's aesthetically appropriate and doesn't really look bad, especially if you're like me and really like soft, cool color palettes and find them relaxing.

Steam: Annie
Discord: Annie#6365

So 1 out of 12 men work as video game art directors, who knew

"You don't get to bring friends."

On 12/29/2019 at 3:52 PM, Annie said:

Colorblindness is quite common, 1 in every 12 men suffer from some form of it. I bring this up because you're complaining a lot about games that are actually quite vibrant and colorful, and over-representation of colors that aren't over-represented. Consider getting your eyes checked.

That said, you're also quite demanding when it comes to color design. You can complain about Battlefield 3 having a blue tinge to it, but it's aesthetically appropriate and doesn't really look bad, especially if you're like me and really like soft, cool color palettes and find them relaxing.

And the somewhat washed out overbright slightly blue filter over everything for daylight is really quite close to what I see in actual daylight, due to seeing somewhat further into the UV spectrum than the average human.

bi ti ʤi ˈbulzaɪ

10 hours ago, RaTcHeT302 said:

i'm sure he's just joking around

Actually, I legit had a test for it. I see slightly further into both the infrared and ultraviolet than the average. I can perceive down to about 350nm, and up to almost 800nm.

bi ti ʤi ˈbulzaɪ

10 minutes ago, BTGBullseye said:

I can perceive down to about 350nm, and up to almost 800nm.

00XGXjt.gif

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BTGBullseye said:

Actually, I legit had a test for it. I see slightly further into both the infrared and ultraviolet than the average. I can perceive down to about 350nm, and up to almost 800nm.

i mean either way, i don't really understand what that means

anyway to me color filters just seem like an insult to all those artists, who slaved themselves for thousands of hours, just to have some dude say, "hey, you know what would be great? A BRIGHT YELLOW COLOR FILTER"

"on everything?!?"

"EVEEEERYYYYYTHIIIIING"

nBiCsyH.png

GHvcIzl.png

personally this looks atrocious, i honestly started calling these "piss filters", it looks horrendous

(i'm pretty sure the textures... are actually painted yellow too just to add to the effect, jesus christ)

plus i find that blue color filters look way too fucking depressing half the time, and it's really odd whenever i see a very upbeat racing game, with one slapped on it, plus, for some odd reason, free to play games tend to have a blue one, and grey filters are just... yuck, why??

WHO WANTS A BUCKET OF GREY, WHY WOULD YOU EVER WANT GRAY TO BE YOUR MAIN COLOR, WHAT IS GRIS EVEN SUPPOSED TO CONVEY.

XxLTdcv.png

wow it looks like COMPLETE SHIT - GOOD LORD GET SOME CONTRAST IN THERE, SOME VIVIDNESS

ANYTHING

ehm4woT.png

ugh

scIsS9r.png

HEY I HOPE YOU LIKE BROWN

this looks fucking horrible, did this game sit in a smoker's lounge or something?

did the developers play one too many games of poker or something? did they gamble away their eyesight for more money?

M2q83gG.png

what the fuck, are we back in 2005? what the hell is this, GET A COLORING BOOK OR SOMETHING

i don't care if color filters are more "realistic", REAL LIFE IS UGLY - yeah that's right, i think OUR GRAPHICS SUCK DICK, i mean, good god, we can make games look FAR more gorgeous, than anything else we'll ever get in real life, i never understood people's obsession with photorealism

honestly if anything, i can't get immersed into the game, because, the more it tries to be real, the more fake it is, and my brain just refuses to accept it, it just takes me out of the game, and it always reminds me of those tacky ass texture mods, which over sharpen every single surface in the game, and i'm just not a fan of that at all

i fucking love purple ass sunsets, they look amazing, FOR ALL I CARE, EVERY GAME SHOULD BE SUNSENTS, ONLY

something about that really nice combination of cozy orange, and light purple, really works with me

ULITmGC.png

mhh

day4GYR.png

THIS IS A WAR AGAINST THE COLOR GRAY, BWAAAAAAAAH

Posted (edited)
On 12/30/2019 at 12:52 AM, Annie said:

i just think it looks too depressing, and the fact that DICE went ahead to actually ban people just because they wanted to turn it off, seems a bit ridiculous - when you take away a fairly reasonable choice, and you go scorched earth on everyone, it's really hard to not at least be a bit annoyed

to that it just seems odd, how they'd go this far, and the response is way too extreme, for something pretty minor

as far as battlefield goes, i once played on a map where it was pitch black night time, and the color filter was just pure green, plus the soldiers were green, and the grass was green

that map was basically unplayable for me, so it's not just about asthetics, sometimes it just straight up makes the game unplayable, and i think it's pretty horrendous seeing as it actively hinders your visibility

and that's pretty horrible in say, a racing game, where you might rely on landmarks to learn the track, but if the whole thing looks exactly the same, it can be really hard to tell overall, and if there are any hazards you might need to avoid, it's not too unsual for me to just crash into shit, because everything is just blended togheter

plus to me the maps stop being recognizable, and they lack an identity, and to me that just kills the familiarity i might've otherwise built up with the map itself, meaning that i just, don't have as much fun in the first place, i just can't get into it at all, plus i like to appreciate a map's details, but if everything is one color, what's the point?

i wouldn't be complaining if it was just an optional thing, but the fact that it actually affects my gameplay also, doesn't jel well with me

even then, i still think it looks pretty atrocious

would this map be, as recognizable, if it went from this

RAbMuem.png

to this?

IzE02Rj.png

this is what most modern games look like to me half the time

lCETbMC.png

b5Hfd9M.png

i still think this looks horrible, there's no mood here, it's just lazy

plus this is just some generic boring island, it can't be that hard to make it look good

this is all billions of dollars get you? that's it? i'm just not impressed, like at all

Posted (edited)
On 12/30/2019 at 12:52 AM, Annie said:

that's basically worthless when you slap a blue \ grey filter over everything

it just makes me think of those over filtered photos, people often post on the internet, which always have purple or pink plastered on it, plus a vignette style filter, and to me it looks downright hideous

it's supposed to be "vintage" or some bullshit like that, i don't remember exactly, but i just think it looks like complete ass, a lot of people mostly do it to be pretentious though

i just think you are ruining the photo, honestly, plus it's insulting to the person who took it in the first place, i don't know

i've seen older photos less filtered, than some of the bullshit put up on the internet, it's ridiculous

S0GcPpn.png

what the hell is this, did the photographer kill himself?

ydRlTk0.png

mafia 3 literally looks like this, almost (not this exagerated, but come on, it's damn close)

you know i would understand if it was a stylistic choice, like in the saboteur

THIS IS A GOOD USE OF A COLOR FILTER, THIS IS REALLY COOL, I WANT MORE OF THIS

VXBUbm8.png

this is the artist calling it a day off - come on, you can do better than this, what the hell

this is just fucking lazy at this point, this isn't art, it's bullshit, this is not a good use for it

b5Hfd9M.png

i'm just going to skip the color blind comment, i don't even know how to respond to that

i guess this will remain, ONE OF NATURE'S MISTERIES

GAyLTnc.png

You sure love to make threads to vent about insignificant things, while somehow writing a novel per topic. Not only that, but you'll also create a trilogy, three posts in a row.  Like, if you're the only one with these issues, maybe the problem isn't in game development, or whatever, but with you.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Psychotic Ninja said:

You sure love to make threads to vent about insignificant things, while somehow writing a novel per topic. Not only that, but you'll also create a trilogy, three posts in a row.  Like, if you're the only one with these issues, maybe the problem isn't in game development, or whatever, but with you.

i don't understand, people can talk about whatever they want to, as long as everyone is civil, plus, you don't own the forums, and you act like you get to dicatate, how and what people should say - i don't see what's the problem with making multiple posts either, i don't want to edit old posts, as i'd be afraid of deleting the whole thing, plus i'm just casual about such things, i don't really care about post count, and sometimes i've just got more things to say, there's really nothing more beyond that

i'm the type of person, who easily gets excited about pretty much anything, so i end up making more posts, because i actually enjoy making them, but i don't understand why you have to go out of your way to make me feel bad about it, i don't understand why you'd belittle me for it either

you act like i insulted you personally or something, and i don't really get it

i was really not expecting this type of atmosphere from a forum to be honest, i thought you guys were all fairly relaxed, seeing as, at the end of the day, that's what forums are for anyway - i understand criticism, but outright telling me that i bother you, just hurts me a little bit, and it just makes me feel like you are being mean for no reason at all

this post just comes off as really mean spirited to me, and it just makes feel really bad as a whole, and the whole idea was to spark more discussion, plus personally this is a topic which i've got a lot of attachment to, and to be shutdown like this just seems really odd

i really never thought i'd have to justify myself, but i never really expected anyone to pick on me like this for no reason, you act like i've done something horrible to you or something, when my only crime is that, i talk too much and that i get too long winded? really?

okay fine, let's not talk about anything, let's all live in our own bubbles, and not say anything, about anything ever, because that's the point of forums, to just, do nothing at all, talk about nothing at all, and to just, never complain about anything

look i can't take you seriously at all man, i'm just making some internet posts about videogames, you are taking this way too seriously for something fairly innocous and inconsequential - honestly if what i said bothers you so much, then i don't know what to tell you, but in the end i'm just some random internet user, you can't have such high expectations from me, in the end i'm mostly doing this for fun

i'm straight up dissapointed in your behaviour, i wasn't expecting you to say something as cruel as that, and i'd like to ask you one question, how's that post supposed to make me feel?

honestly, just block me if you hate me so much, and be done with it, or just write a script to hide my posts automatically if they have my name on it, i don't really care, i'd rather have everyone ignore me, and to just, not talk to me, than to have to deal with such petty attacks

anyway to me this kills any respect i would've otherwise had for you, and i don't think i'll ever respond back to anything you ever say, because if i bother you so much, then i don't see the point in even trying to talk to you

again, you don't care? fine, just ignore my posts then, problem solved

mMB0oEC.png

KcXn6Ia.png

again i'm just dissapointed, and i don't get the point, that's all, but this is my personality, and it's who i am, i'm just having some casual fun, honestly i find it entertaining to write these posts, but jeez man, don't act like i shot your dog or something, it's just some text in the end

all i'm saying is that color design is a hell of a lot more complex than just broadening a palette. you can make a game look good with fewer colors if you know why those colors need to be there. you know this judging by that saboteur screenshot, but frankly, black and red is rarely an interesting color palette.

then again, dunno why i'm responding if i'm likely to also just get blocked and shot down.

Steam: Annie
Discord: Annie#6365

12 hours ago, Psychotic Ninja said:

Laugh all you want, reality doesn't change just because you don't want to believe it.

bi ti ʤi ˈbulzaɪ

1 hour ago, Annie said:

all i'm saying is that color design is a hell of a lot more complex than just broadening a palette. you can make a game look good with fewer colors if you know why those colors need to be there. you know this judging by that saboteur screenshot, but frankly, black and red is rarely an interesting color palette.

then again, dunno why i'm responding if i'm likely to also just get blocked and shot down.

He claims to take criticism, but clearly, that's not the case. So, you can join me in the Block Club.

A. About that image of the cars, didn't Ross have a video with the same complaint about those filters?
B. the length of the posts with the abundant images make it feel like an image wall.

C. you could have just edited the most recent post if you saw no one answered you. This feels like reading a rant on facebook (not in context but in style)