A Fantasy Man huh?

So from what I heard Scott is looking to make something Fantasy based and needs a good system to build it from, just a suggestion, I would wait til around 11-11-11, Bethesda's Skyrim should hit the market at that time and create a base system to start from, especially since they are known to include the Construction System for additional game content if your any good with SDK's.

If your any good with Mia Animation (like moi), you could create a virtually beautiful romantism / fantasy environment, not to meantion you'll have access to a wide array of advanced shader measures, character renderings, etc. Grant it, it will be a utter pain recording, processing, and editing, but it would make one damn good show.

Course Fantasy Environments are a difficult endevour, many people don't fully understand the concept of writing a Fantasy Novel. As in a Indepth Swords, Spells, and alterate races novel or story for that matter, creating the culture, setting, environment, and descriptive language is a vibrant part of the process to make sure it is able to be processed by the reader and or viewer. Which requires a gift of writing to create fully. Course knowing Scott, I would probably think it would be 50% Comedic, 25% Serious, 25% Romantic/Drama. (I say Romantic Drama cause thats the only way you can bring a whore into a picture accurately.). And If I know Bethesda they're gonna want to show off a little more than just pretty scenery, new moves, attacks, spell effects, dynamics, and culture. Im not saying its gonna be a Binge of Romantismism, god knows there not Bioware (Mass Effect / Dragon Age) which are sex nerds. But considering most of their games have been lacking a relationship element I can think they're beginning to get a message from their local audiances, and if not well...

But anyway, back to the Topic, the reason you'd want to use the Bethesda style games like Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, is because the animations are easier to orchistrate, especially with Mia 2008+. That and also the game is rich in scenery, dynamics, culture, people, creatures, etc. And I do gotta agree with Scott on how Freeman's Mind does get a little dull being that your in Stone Tunnels all day starring at cockroaches. And their about the only SDK Environment that allows for a multitude of developments either 3rd or 1st Person whichever his story format commits, to or whatever his writer (if he ever gets one), comes up with.

But thats my two cents on the matter of creating a Fantasy Realm based world into a visual episode mix.

If Ross used Skyrim... Nah he wouldn't, he says he doesn't like Bethesda games.

But if he did.... There is a possibilty I would cry from sheer joy. Just sayin'

If Ross used Skyrim... Nah he wouldn't, he says he doesn't like Bethesda games.

But if he did.... There is a possibilty I would cry from sheer joy. Just sayin'

You're not alone. I think the same, Axeldeath :/

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

I dunno if Skyrim still uses the Gamebryo engine or if Bethesda is using an in-house engine. I think the former is more likely.

Either way, you don't necessarily need to use the Skyrim engine for a fantasy machinima.

They've developed an engine with Skyrim as it's first game, it's called the Creation engine.

Though for name sakes what in the world would he write / produce / machinimize? Fantasy or not, that realm requires a lot more thought process then a Freemans Mind or a Modern-Day Post Apocalyptic Hedge Run (Not an insult). I mean do you honestly know how hard it is to make a Fantasy Funny, its like trying to make a kids movie from the Bone Collector or Seven movie.

But honestly if not a Bethesda title, what else? There are very few titles out there in the Fantasy Universe that have as much attention to detail, and more down to earth (FPS / Close Range 3rd) which makes for potentially good movies.

So what if its out of his comfort zone as a game, no one says he has to play it, he just has to make something "Useful" in his mind from it.

It might not be a Mind series again, actually I'm pretty sure he won't be doing another mind series as he already has 5 ( or more) years worth of Half Life to play out.

It would be kinda hard to make a mind series from an Open-World like Skyrim, Oblivion, or Morrowind, mainly since the main character has no destinctive name, their titles change depending on what you do, and it would only apply to whatever cynasism is played out.

If I had any clue on Movie creation, or Sound Editing, I'd probably make something with one of those titles, but alas I am just a writer, a gamer, and a griefer =)

Actually Skyrim could be a good candidate, depending on the tools that come with it. My understanding of Oblivion was that things like lip syncing required a real workaround solution and reverting back to an earlier version of the toolkit, which isn't a great sign. I was leaning towards using the Dragon Age engine since it has a lot of assets I would need, but I've heard that it's not currently possible to get custom animations into it (only in-game ones), though I still need to verify that, so I'm not sure what I should be leaning towards. I'm very interested in finding the right engine, as some of my ideas for a fantasy environment are my "top level" ideas which I think would trump what I've done so far.

As for what I want to do, one will be quite similar to Civil Protection, in a medieval fantasy environment, the other is something a lot different with many characters, also in a fantasy environment. They'll both be comedy, though the first one will have more of an adventure element to it, and the latter will definitely be dark comedy. Neither of these will be based on the worlds these games use, I would just be using the same engine.

Civil Protection in medieval fantasy?

God, I hope it won't be a pair of imperial guardsmen trying to arrest criminal scum the whole time....

Well I've begun modding with Oblivion and all I can say is that I find it far easier than the Source SDK. Unless you want to use things from the Shivering Isles expansion then you wont need the latest version ( 1.2) of the TES IV construction set ( which is the one with the broken lip sync). Modding tools have been confirmed by Bethesda, though was it ever really in doubt? Hopefully just as easy to use as it's previous iterations.

Here's the tutorial I'm using at the moment- http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/Category:A_beginner's_guide

It might not be as good for you as it was for me because it's made for total modding newbs it is a great beginners tutorial, the same site also has tutorials on how to build more complicated things like shops and dungeons etc.

Well I've begun modding with Oblivion and all I can say is that I find it far easier than the Source SDK. Unless you want to use things from the Shivering Isles expansion then you wont need the latest version ( 1.2) of the TES IV construction set ( which is the one with the broken lip sync). Modding tools have been confirmed by Bethesda, though was it ever really in doubt? Hopefully just as easy to use as it's previous iterations.

Here's the tutorial I'm using at the moment- http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/Category:A_beginner's_guide

It might not be as good for you as it was for me because it's made for total modding newbs it is a great beginners tutorial, the same site also has tutorials on how to build more complicated things like shops and dungeons etc.

TES series games are so easy to mod now, it's surprising how few mods are actually out for it. I used to make quick simple mods for TES3... Adding rooms with custom weapons/ammo/armor/items... Making NPCs more challenging... Etc...

Only takes 10 minutes to have a decent mod.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Well the thing to understand is while a game may be good for modding, I need it to be good for cutscenes. Having lip sync, facial control, lots of control over animations and blending, etc. I'd be interested of seeing any videos from Oblivion mods that show really good custom CUTSCENES that aren't from the original game.

Well the thing to understand is while a game may be good for modding, I need it to be good for cutscenes. Having lip sync, facial control, lots of control over animations and blending, etc. I'd be interested of seeing any videos from Oblivion that show really good custom CUTSCENES that aren't from the original game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNg0O9_O8lE&feature=related

There's one...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.