Edit History

Isaiah

Isaiah

On 6/22/2020 at 10:41 AM, DukeNukem 2417 said:

and by no means do I think this was a waste of your time.  You outlined what your ideal new mouse should feature in a clear, concise manner.

I concur. These kinds of specific requirements are most helpful because it leaves little room for interpretation or guesswork when trying to help. So thanks for putting that list together, Ross.

I think the reason most mice have 3 main buttons max (2 + wheel button) is because the thumb and pinky are usually used to grip both sides (at least when using a claw grip). Which allows you to move with mostly just your fingers, thous reducing wrist / arm movement some and might also help with precision.  You can kind of demonstrate what I mean with a pencil; imagine holding it both normally and in a fist.

Or maybe it's just that most people don't like multitasking with all their fingers and it's just a little overwhelming. So the market for all button mice just died because they looked too intimidating to people and so they didn't buy them and went with the simpler designs.

I do hate the wheel button though. Mine also let's you click in the sides which I find to be just a useless gimmick and they've always felt terrible to click. However I actually love the thumb wheel idea as an alternative and can't believe I've never seen/noticed that concept before.

Isaiah

Isaiah

and by no means do I think this was a waste of your time.  You outlined what your ideal new mouse should feature in a clear, concise manner.

I concur. These kinds of specific requirements are most helpful because it leaves little room for interpretation or guesswork when trying to help. So thanks for putting that list together, Ross.

I think the reason most mice have 3 main buttons max (2 + wheel button) is because the thumb and pinky are usually used to grip both sides (at least when using a claw grip). Which allows you to move with mostly just your fingers, thous reducing wrist / arm movement some and might also help with precision.  You can kind of demonstrate what I mean with a pencil; imagine holding it both normally and in a fist.

Or maybe it's just that most people don't like multitasking with all their fingers and it's just a little overwhelming. So the market for all button mice just died because they looked too intimidating to people and so they didn't buy them and went with the simpler designs.

I also personally just have my middle finger on the right button because I don't like clicking that button with my ring finger, even though I know it's less optimal. I also just use my index finger on the wheel to scroll because I'm never clicking at the same time anyway.

I do hate the wheel button though. Mine also let's you click in the sides which I find to be just a useless gimmick and they've always felt terrible to click. However I've never broke one so I have to wonder how hard you're using that button?! However I actually love the thumb wheel idea as an alternative and can't believe I've never seen/noticed that concept before.

Isaiah

Isaiah

I also personally just have my middle finger on the right button because I don't like clicking that button with my ring finger, even though I know it's less optimal. I also just use my index finger on the wheel to scroll because I'm never clicking at the same time anyway.

I do hate the wheel button though. Mine also let's you click in the sides which I find to be just a useless gimmick and they've always felt terrible to click. However I've never broke one so I have to wonder how hard you're using that button?!

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.