Death of Single Player?

How do you feel about the market's shift to multiplayer?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the market's shift to multiplayer?

• I don't like it.
    • I'm fine with it.
    • I'm all for it.
    • What shift to multiplayer?

Sign in to follow this  

I know, but what you are saying is the same as saying murder will never stop therefor it we shouldn't say it is bad.

Not the same. Hacking doesn't kill anyone. Doesn't really even hurt anyone either...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Well, that's what spectator mode is for, I suppose.

Spectator mode only works for what you can see, and it's rare that you can see where everyone on the battlefield is, all at once. A simple ESP hack shows you where everyone is, and gives so much more information in far less time...

Hacking isn't ever going to stop, so saying it's wrong here won't really do anything.

I know, but what you are saying is the same as saying murder will never stop therefor it we shouldn't say it is bad.

Dark analogy is dark.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Not the same. Hacking doesn't kill anyone. Doesn't really even hurt anyone either...

I just took something random as example, geez. But we are getting off topic here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So we should let sportsman cheat in sports? As long as the referee doesn't catch him cheating then it's alright huh?

I just took something random as example, geez. But we are getting off topic here.

You know, comparing hacking to murder is a bit of a stretch.

I WAS JUST TAKING SOMETHING RANDOM AS EXAMPLE, I can compare it to stealing an apple from you teacher, or throwing poop on a car or w/e the point i am making is still the same. I am OBVIOUSLY not trying to say that hacking is AS BAD as murder.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wow, man, are you trying to say that hacking is as bad as murder?

Anywho! I do agree that repetitive, boring multiplayer modes are starting to phase out well constructed, immersive, atmospheric singleplayer. I don't like it, either. However, there will always be good singleplayer games - we just may start seeing less and less of them, sadly.

Funny you should mention that, because I feel like killing someone right now.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So we should let sportsman cheat in sports? As long as the referee doesn't catch him cheating then it's alright huh?

Nice of you to mention another area where we see lots of cheating... Seems identical to the hacking thing to me.

Sports equivalent | Hacker equivalent

Drugs (testosterone/steroids/etc.) = Hacks

Regular drug testing = Anti-cheat programs (Punkbuster, VAC, HackShield, etc.)

Michael Phelps = Hacker caught after beating the shit out of incredible numbers of Asians.

The guy that sells the undetected drugs to the remaining athletes = S0beit

Nice of you to mention another area where we see lots of cheating... Seems identical to the hacking thing to me.

Sports equivalent | Hacker equivalent

Drugs (testosterone/steroids/etc.) = Hacks

Regular drug testing = Anti-cheat programs (Punkbuster, VAC, HackShield, etc.)

Michael Phelps = Hacker caught after beating the shit out of incredible numbers of Asians.

The guy that sells the undetected drugs to the remaining athletes = S0beit

Not contesting the point of your post (though it is somewhat off topic). But what was Michael Phelps caught for? If you're talking about steroids, I looked up some info:

From wikipedia (note that all of the info has multiple citations)

Throughout the 2008 Olympics, Phelps was questioned by the press if perhaps his feats were "too good to be true", a reference to unsupported rumors that Phelps may be taking performance enhancing drugs.[159][160] In response, Phelps noted that he had signed up for Project Believe, a project by the United States Anti-Doping Agency in which U.S. Olympians can volunteer to be tested in excess of the World Anti-Doping Agency guidelines.[161] During the Games, Phelps was tested nine times, and passed all of them.[162][163]

Though this post is even more off topic, I thought I'd set the record straight, as Phelps is really one of those athletes to be admired.

Just so you know, I agree with you - just poking fun a bit. Just because something won't change doesn't mean we shouldn't express our opinions about how it should change because it's wrong.

Just so you know, I agree with you - just poking fun a bit. Just because something won't change doesn't mean we shouldn't express our opinions about how it should change because it's wrong.

Thank you.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's the way the industry has changed.

I've been playing my Genesis since 1994. I had a PC in 98, 99 or so I started using the internet regularly as well as connecting via IP/modem to my friend in a star wars game.

My perspective is it's the industry as a whole. Once games started being able to be played regularly online, with internet becoming better and better, and more available to people being able to play next to everything with other people on servers instead of just following the story lines laid out for them to interact with, they started doing that. Everything proceeded to copy each other, then build on specific mechanics laid out by the game before it to see which does best. In my memory Everquest led to Blizzard being all "WE HAVE THIS WARCRAFT THING WE CAN DO THAT WITH while Infinity Ward built upon what they had done with Medal of Honor, making Call of Duty, the sequel having the multiplayer you now see today (with upgrades and perks to the weapons as of COD 4).. It's the industry, and the nature of it is to get money, interaction is what people are paying for. If most people still didn't have the internet (or just bad internet), heh, you just might have the single player experiences you hope for.

Oh, and does me using cheats give me an unfair advantage over the AI? ;P Have any of you even beat Doom 2 without cheating?

Have any of you even beat Doom 2 without cheating?

Yes. Many times.

[soapbox]

I'm between "I don't like it" and "I'm fine with it" so I picked "I'm fine with it. For example, I'm fine with the co-op with the L4D series, Portal 2, Resident Evil 5, the LEGO games (guilty pleasure), Borderlands, and all that have drop-in/drop-out co-op. What I'm not fine with, is when people would just throw away $60 just for a game ONLY because it has Multiplayer. I know some people who wouldn't get Portal 2 if it didn't have co-op, even though they really enjoyed Portal 1. One reason why I really enjoy Portal 2's co-op even though it's not drop-in/drop-out is because it's different from the main story. Hell it even encourages you to play cooperatively.

The drop-in/drop-out co-op games I'm fine cause, as the name implies, as long as the main story is still being followed, with nothing missing, like cut-scenes, then it's like playing co-op when you're not, if you're by yourself. Like with Borderlands, you can start up a public co-op game, all by yourself, the game is still the exact same, cut-scenes are still in tact, boss fights are still the same, enemy encounters are still the same, drops are still the same, but if/when people join, everything is still the same, but enemies are stronger, cause there's more trying to kill them.

Now, what I can see with the next Half-Life game, if VALVE does decide to have no more pure Singleplayer games is have it be a drop-in/drop-out 2 player co-op where player 1 is always Gordon Freeman and player 2 is always Alyx, someone may join, or may not, no interruption with the story, and no changes to the story if it's just you and bot Alyx. [/soapbox]

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

I don't think single player is going to go away. As multiplayer grows more popular, so will the counterculture who detest it for no real reason (or, rather, dislike the people who are often found in multiplayer, you know the ones). The games that cater to single players won't be massive hits or huge titles, but they will continue to come just as steadily as they do now.