Hell Jobs

Hey.

I remember Ross talking about his "hell jobs", and as I'm currently having a hard time at work, for some reason it would make me feel better knowing that other people are suffering too in their hell jobs. 

I work as a checkout person in a hypermarket. I'm trying my best but I'm standing there 7 hours a day (10 hours some sundays), 6 days a week, taking shit from clients. My boss is not too bad, I had worse, but he is annoying. I know it may not sound too bad but I'm struggling in this one.

What is or was your hell job? Any interesting anecdotes?
Share your job, share your pain.

2 minutes ago, RaTcHeT302 said:

see the thing is, that i'd much rather be in actual hell, than to be stuck in a hell job

at least the only thing you need to deal with in hell is eternal damnation, but hey, you won't be evicted any time soon, hell will wait for you

HELL WILL ALWAYS, BE THERE FOR YOU

i'm very anti work anyway, i'm not a lazy person or anything, but see i actually feel like i have a purpose in life unlike most people, beyond just grinding away for the tree money, i mean, it's all a game of "who can collect the most paper with dead people on them" in the end

i'm not doing a good job at it

Actually, one thing that keeps me going is that I have a purpose in life that requires money, so I'm using this job as fuel. That's the reason why I don't quit, the pain will be worth it because I'm doing something on the side that makes me happy, but hey, job is not less hellish!

13 minutes ago, RaTcHeT302 said:

i wish we could live a life where, money was not needed, in order to accomplish your goals though, but that's just dream land :(

Or Star Trek...

14 minutes ago, RaTcHeT302 said:

i don't hate the concept of money, i hate the people in charge of the system

I hate the concept of requiring money just to live... Living should not require you to pay to be able to keep living.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

1 minute ago, RaTcHeT302 said:

i don't like it either, i mean, i find the idea of, not being able to eat, just because you don't have enough paper, to be absurd, but this is sadly the world we live in, otherwise if we it was up to me, you could just walk up to anywhere, and get some food when you want to

hell, people would rather leave you for dead if you are thirsty - if you can't afford a water bottle, then i guess you just, die? most cities don't have drinkable water if you are in the middle of nowhere, or if your car runs out of fuel, that's your fault, you are stuck

it's a cruel world and nobody is out there to help you when it all goes wrong, it's a sad, sad world

The biggest problem right now is that the rich are deliberately making it harder to even meet that baseline of income. All politicians currently in office in the USA, and well over 99% of them in the rest of the world are among those rich people.

This is the source of the "hell job" in the first place. Poor compensation for backbreaking work over long hours. Usually with shitty bosses too.

1 minute ago, RaTcHeT302 said:

i feel like the world is designed to be cruel, and i don't get it - by all accounts, this system should have failed a long time ago, but, it feels like some people enjoy living in misery, or at least, it feels like, the people who have it better off, enjoy seeing OTHERS live in misery

The rich are the ones forcing this to continue, and people have been told for decades from childhood that "violence isn't the answer". That's why the USA has a greater wealth and income disparity than France did when they started beheading the aristocracy.

Just now, RaTcHeT302 said:

i don't think we have enough guillotines xD, we can't afford them LOL

We have cheaper and faster ones called "guns", and the law protects us having them in the first place for this exact reason. That we aren't using them yet is the only real perversion of the founding father's vision for the USA.

from helljobs to guiliotines in 10 hours...

Well that escalated quickly

Burn the World!

5 hours ago, Swamp said:

I still want to know other people's hell jobs! ?

Well... I worked for an airline as a baggage handler at the Phoenix International Airport during summer. It literally got over 180°f on the tarmac, and they had to shut down all flights half the day because they couldn't get off the ground fast enough. I got my second heatstroke there.

15 minutes ago, RaTcHeT302 said:

do u get a secret prize on the third one?

Yes! I got a large-bore needle in my forearm, and 2 bags of electrolyte solution pumped through it, then 1 more of saline. I also got to go 120MPH though crowds of people in Kraków on the way to the hospital to make sure I survived. They made me sign paperwork before they would look at me in the hospital though, and I taught the doctor there the term "heat stroke". (he spoke a little English, and was interested)

5 minutes ago, RaTcHeT302 said:

uh, i think u win the prize - oh no, the prize fell over into a PIT OF FIRE AND DESPAIR

and in other news, as to why jobs are hell

here's HELL HIRING, i stumbled on this by accident

just... wow, it's so... sad and pathetic lol, i never want to apply at a job for a modern day SLAVE DEN err COMPANY

That is actually 100% illegal in the USA... He could sue over that.

7 hours ago, Swamp said:

I still want to know other people's hell jobs! ?

I worked for microsoft call center, we had 90 seconds to decide whether someone was eligible to be transferred to the tech support line and if not we had to give them the boot in a gentle way(which happened a lot because many people with bootleg copies of windows or office thought they were supposed the get service for a product their technician sold them without telling them it was  a bootleg) and send them a satisfaction survey, for every call past 90 secs we got our bonus cut, for every bad survey we had our bonus cut, unsurprisingly we had either a lot of bad surveys or a lot of long call times and so the bonus was always minimal on top of minimum wages.

Edited by kerdios (see edit history)

Burn the World!

5 hours ago, kerdios said:

I worked for microsoft call center, we had 90 seconds to decide whether someone was eligible to be transferred to the tech support line and if not we had to give them the boot in a gentle way(which happened a lot because many people with bootleg copies of windows or office thought they were supposed the get service for a product their technician sold them without telling them it was  a bootleg) and send them a satisfaction survey, for every call past 90 secs we got our bonus cut, for every bad survey we had our bonus cut, unsurprisingly we had either a lot of bad surveys or a lot of long call times and so the bonus was always minimal on top of minimum wages.

That sounds awful. How long did you work there?

9 minutes ago, Swamp said:

That sounds awful. How long did you work there?

9 long strenuous hard months

Burn the World!

7 hours ago, Swamp said:

Where are you now?

I was working in QA for 4 years and about 2 years ago I quit and took a year living on unemployment just studying python, but then corona hit, so now I'm still unemployed

Burn the World!

8 hours ago, kerdios said:

I was working in QA for 4 years and about 2 years ago I quit and took a year living on unemployment just studying python, but then corona hit, so now I'm still unemployed

I'm sorry to hear that.
I'm interested in QA, can you tell me something about it? Maybe in pm if you feel more comfortable, I don't want to get too much off topic also.

14 minutes ago, Swamp said:

I'm sorry to hear that.
I'm interested in QA, can you tell me something about it? Maybe in pm if you feel more comfortable, I don't want to get too much off topic also.

Most good QA engineers also have a decent amount of IT or CS exposure.

"Fleet Intelligence Coming Online"

5 hours ago, Swamp said:

I'm sorry to hear that.

Like what?

Burn the World!