Hell Jobs

I enlisted in the USAF right before 9/11 kicked off The Indefinite War. I was a C-5 loadmaster so my job was to load the airplane and do the weight and balance calculations by hand. Basically it's like doing math problems while being shot at. My longest continuous shift was 5 legs(Kuwait, Baghdad, Kuwait, Baghdad, then spain) and 34 hours long. I've had to work in 120°F heat while wearing a full set of chem gear, load and tie down cargo while breathing smoke, and ferry (as in fly in) a damaged airplane from baghdad to germany. Worse, I contracted Lyme disease my first year in the air force and suffered with it because my doctor was like, "there's a war on, airman, everybody's joints hurt, now quit malingering and get your ass out there and do your job" so that didn't get diagnosed until 2010 and I'm still feeling the residual fallout even today. Oh right, also my boss was convicted of war crimes for starting the war I fought in.

Anyway, the worst job I've ever had was working in a call center

Amen, fuck call centers. Only job I've ever had that made me collapse in a nervous breakdown.

On 6/29/2021 at 4:40 PM, Im_CIA said:

well I read it as "delivery driver in heat" so I had a few questions about that

On 6/29/2021 at 6:38 PM, The Britain said:

I have many questions.

Delivery driver mating season.

On 6/29/2021 at 8:12 PM, Emby said:

I enlisted in the USAF right before 9/11 kicked off The Indefinite War. I was a C-5 loadmaster so my job was to load the airplane and do the weight and balance calculations by hand. Basically it's like doing math problems while being shot at. My longest continuous shift was 5 legs(Kuwait, Baghdad, Kuwait, Baghdad, then spain) and 34 hours long. I've had to work in 120°F heat while wearing a full set of chem gear, load and tie down cargo while breathing smoke, and ferry (as in fly in) a damaged airplane from baghdad to germany. Worse, I contracted Lyme disease my first year in the air force and suffered with it because my doctor was like, "there's a war on, airman, everybody's joints hurt, now quit malingering and get your ass out there and do your job" so that didn't get diagnosed until 2010 and I'm still feeling the residual fallout even today. Oh right, also my boss was convicted of war crimes for starting the war I fought in.

Anyway, the worst job I've ever had was working in a call center

Nice twist. I have a phobia of talking to people over the phone so if that was my only option I would probably apply to the nearest city exit panhandling committee

"Fleet Intelligence Coming Online"

On 6/30/2021 at 10:09 AM, Im_CIA said:

Nice twist. I have a phobia of talking to people over the phone so if that was my only option I would probably apply to the nearest city exit panhandling committee

If I didn't before, I sure af do now. When my phone rings my blood pressure shoots through the roof

I've never really had a hell job that I thought was a "hell job". I did push carts for a few years at busy wholesaler while studying, but the only really bad mark I have against it was the chaffing. Otherwise it was the perfect menial task- no customers to talk to, you can shoot shit with the other cart-guys, and you get a really good workout.  The only problem is that it was deemed too "unprestigious" by my friends/relatives who flipped their noses at my lowly temp job that I actually kind of enjoyed.  

Been years now, but my family reunions still go down like

On 6/30/2021 at 9:16 PM, Emby said:

If I didn't before, I sure af do now. When my phone rings my blood pressure shoots through the roof

Sounds more like trauma

"Fleet Intelligence Coming Online"

On 7/1/2021 at 10:42 AM, Im_CIA said:

Sounds more like trauma

yeah, flying wasn't a normal job with normal hours, you were given 12 hours of rest and then you could be alerted at any time within the next 48 hours to go on a mission. It was all about having a crew ready to fly a plane as soon as it landed and maintenance was complete. Of course, you'd get alerted by phone call so hating the phone was already a conditioned response by the time I started working at the call center

Thank you all for sharing your hell jobs.

I'm happy to say I'm not working in the hell hole I was when I posted this thread anymore. Many things happened, and now I'm working at a kitchen as an assistant. 7 hours a day, 5 days a week, so it's a big upgrade coming from the other place. It's still hard, but at least I get along with my coworkers and boss.

I worked as a telecom tower climber and technician for a year before quitting because everyone at the company was kind of a douchebag and I had no reason to believe it would be different elsewhere.

Though this was partially because I also hated the work itself since its a bit stressful being dangled by (granted, very strong) strings while working on birdshit covered telecommunication equipment in bone piercing wind. This is less of an issue than my other problems with it however because I kind of expected that. I came home exhausted every day which sucked but I knew that there would probably be times where this happened. The overtime work sucked ass though, especially since I had to do it often, away from home in stanky ass hotels.
Like I said, the worst part was my coworkers. I honestly fear the idea that it may have just been me, but I swear I was stuck with some real pieces of work. I was often paired up with people that speak soley in passive aggression, or people with really outspoken and asinine beliefs and habits. One time a dude said that itd be better for me to break my hand than let a piece of equipment get scratched while trying to support it. Nearly everyone at the company was a bullheaded son of a bitch which caused real problems internally from what I could tell. I nearly threw rocks at my boss on some occasions because he pissed me off so bad. I think I came the closest to killing someone out of pure rage in that job than anywhere else in my entire life.
Now I'm living with my parents trying to go into a programing degree. Its going ok, just got through my pre requisites.

Not trying to one up retail workers btw, since I worked there as well, am well aware of how soul sucking it is, and at least my job payed pretty well. Shame it really didnt matter since I didnt have the energy to really spend it on anything. Spoiler is a picture of me on a tower

Spoiler

20200908_204256.jpg

Edited by FoolOfWorms (see edit history)

HEHE HAHA HOHO

I used to work as a digital marketing executive in a private firm a few months ago. All was going well until the end of 1st month, the boss decided to shift me to his another company and handle the other website too for the same pay. There I faced another boss (his brother), who gave me instructions opposite to my other boss. I got so confused which one to follow, yet I somehow put all my ability to sort off both the websites. And finally at the time of my 1st pay, I received almost half the amount of what I was promised to pay. Guess what? They cut the pay of the weekends. When I asked for an explanation they told that "it's a 24x7 running business. If you miss a day then we cut the pay."

I was furious and asked why didn't they tell me about this rule before, to which they lied that they already told me and that I had forgotten. RIDICULOUS... Also they promised at my joining day that they will hand me my appointment letter by the end of 15 days, but I didn't even get a soft copy by the end of 1.5 months.

I couldn't control the harassment more so I left the company without any prior notice. After that, both the bosses rang me for 2 weeks asking to come back and negotiate further, but I refused and blocked all their numbers.

This was my hell job for 1.5 hell months.

Had I continued for another day, I would have felt like a construction laborer - building their sites all day in exchange of a teaspoon full of pay - which is, by the way, considered as one of the worst American jobs as cited by my essay writer couple of years ago.