Too much cash? We can help.

I doubt anybody will actually come after you for it unless this site makes you super rich, but be careful, "donations" pages can get legally iffy, since if you're not a non-profit business you technically can only sell things and not accept donations. That's why most sites have donation bonuses, not to provide an incentive, but to be able to say "they're not REALLY donations, they're buying access to the premium member's exclusive video (or whatever)."

T-shirtf with logo of Fm or CV or Accursed farm but they have to pay the post, because they are from the whole world

I'm happy with you just making more videos. Hopefully the donations help you with better resources and more time to make awesome videos. I know that I've gotten a lot of entertainment from your work so it's nice to finally give back.

I'd love a T-shirt with ambassador pinapple, also if someone donates, give'em a tag, it's the less risky of all ideas, premium access will make trouble with machinima for sure, and you don't want ppl ranting about your pace making videos because they paid for it

Something that some sites do if you donate a certain amount of money is, they'll give you access to content that regular users can't view. And in doing so it will motivate more people to donate.
No, I don't want to do that. I could maybe do some personalized stuff for donators, but not deny access to extra things.

Give donators T-Shirts!
Well I do plan to set up t-shirt sales later, though that's on my ever-growing "to do" list.

Ross, what about making a list of people with size of their donations [let ppl know their heroes] and maybe give donators opportunity to write a line. like "Hey, whats up" or "for greater good" or maybe just "thanks Ross"
That sounds like a good idea. I might do that, although keeping track of the individual contributions online could be problematic time-wise unless I could automate it somehow.

This is one thing is the best way as it show how much they donated and one site do I know one site that they even got a $100 donation that they had to make a new rank in order to show the persons admiration/dedication to the site.
Donator tags is a good idea, although I may again need some automation system to show who has donated what. Also while I'm sure there's a correlation, just because a person donates more money doesn't make them the most dedicated necessarily. Somebody could never donate anything, but if he's watching the videos 10 years from now, that's great too.

Really then the best reward you can give us is to keep doing what you're doing and keep doing it well.
I hope so, that's my primary goal with this. I want to do extra things for donators, but ultimately I'd rather just make more videos. It may come down to a question of time management. I do plan to try to thank everyone via email however, but I'm still behind on the regular emails as well.

And with all due respect to the people that posted above me... I don't believe it's appropriate or fair to give donator tags. I'm sure we'll all contribute accordingly to our means. And if you don't have the economic means, you can always work on the subtitles, be a mod, sound or video editor, voice actor, etc.
That's an important point, I don't want to alienate people who aren't donating. Help with the subtitles is definitely appreciated. Suggestions for the site layout and graphic design is also appreciated. Other roles I usually make an announcement on when I need them however. Also if anyone is a soundtrack junkie, definitely check out my music organization thread. I plan to have other things people can help out on in the future as well. Even if somebody doesn't contribute anything money or time-wise, that's fine, I'm happy people are watching the videos.

I doubt anybody will actually come after you for it unless this site makes you super rich, but be careful, "donations" pages can get legally iffy, since if you're not a non-profit business you technically can only sell things and not accept donations.
That's easy to remedy, but I've never heard that before. I've seen lots of software developers release everything for free, but accept donations as well. Could you link to where this is speficially stated legally or via Paypal policy or something?

It would probably be enough to just draw a piece of silly crayon art for every [number] dollars you receive, then post it in the news or something.

I mean the videos are enough reason to donate, and enough of a reward for donating. There's no need to go crazy here, people will donate if they want to.

Don't worry about it, really! I don't know about everyone else but I donated for what you've done (Awesome BTW!) not in the hope of getting something from it. I wouldn't mind if you spent some of the donations on something for your self because you've given me plenty.

You could give donator the chance to voice something.

An scientists/guard or a an alien Freeman is talking to

after finally finding some usable drugs (which are

labeled wrong though), something like that.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

A choice between a Civil Protection T-Shirt, a Freemans Mind T-Shirt, and an Accursed Farms T-Shirt. I would actually buy one if they existed and i sure ALOT of other people would too. You'd be making bank off that!

I agree with the above posts:

- Yes that would be "wrong" to give donators more maybe, then again it is ok to show gratitude by giving something, like a tag, a thank note or something - t-shirts is nice, and i would buy one when/if it comes no matter what, but i think we all can agree on, that we dont really want anything or demand it, we just want to show our gratitude in a new way.

Dont really know, but doing what you do, is the best thing you can ever do

But the best thing i can think of, is probably either a thank note, tag(might take time to automatic as u said Ross though) - but even better an easter egg or special video, but something that everybody can watch of course. Then everybody would be happy, you would use your time to do what you already do, and thats why we are donating

I really like the idea of an area dedicated to donators, showing the ammount donated and a comment from the donator. Its subtle in a kind of way, since you arent showed in the forums who have donated and who havent, when they comment on something.

Best off all would be an email from Ross, but I do get that it could take up way too much time.

By the way, its good to see you active on the forums Ross, keep up the good work.

I doubt anybody will actually come after you for it unless this site makes you super rich, but be careful, "donations" pages can get legally iffy, since if you're not a non-profit business you technically can only sell things and not accept donations.
That's easy to remedy, but I've never heard that before. I've seen lots of software developers release everything for free, but accept donations as well. Could you link to where this is speficially stated legally or via Paypal policy or something?

Actually,i THINK its illegal to ASK for donations FROM MINORS without OFFERING ANY KIND OF REWARD.But still thats really easy to remedy

The future of gaming lies in realistic simulations of extraordinary realities

"I am drunk, you dont have an excuse"

I vote for the idea of a 'Wall of Fame', a page with the names (and optionally the amount they donated) of donors.

T-shirts would be cool, but then it'd become a webshop/business, which isn't necessarily wrong but would be beyond the idea of donating.

I don't think Ross should alter the videos to favor donors, the credits should feature the people who worked directly on the video.

how about a small symbol under their reputation or something if they donate?

the same could be implemented for people who help with lots of subtitles...

Awesome Ross, and about time too. I don't want shit. I wouldn't mind something to buy though. Tee-shirts, mugs, you know... crap like they sell on Cafe Press or something.

Sorry, really would like to donate, but I don't have the money for it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Actually,i THINK its illegal to ASK for donations FROM MINORS without OFFERING ANY KIND OF REWARD.But still thats really easy to remedy

It turns out I was a little mistaken, the actual rule (which I have no authoritative cite for, mostly just random Paypal forum threads and Yahoo Answers) seems to be "The use of the word donation is iffy at best, if you use the word donations you MUST inform the contributors that they may not claim it as tax deductible, and the recipient must pay income tax on the donation."

So nevermind.

Well there have been a couple dozen donations today, it's quite surprising for me. I think I'll definitely have enough cash to get some major stuff done in the source engine if I find the right people. This may have moved up some of my ideas that were years out to maybe tackling one of them later this year. It's all Freeman's Mind in the meantime however.

I wouldn't mind if you spent some of the donations on something for your self because you've given me plenty.
I do feel a little bit like the ringbearer from LOTR seeing cash come in, but without a doubt I have episode ideas I want to see get done at all costs and I think this money will help with that. I am planning to upgrade my system once some component prices drop, but I was planning to do that once I saved more money.

It would probably be enough to just draw a piece of silly crayon art for every [number] dollars you receive, then post it in the news or something.
I like this idea, I could make it as advanced as stickmen.

Best off all would be an email from Ross, but I do get that it could take up way too much time.
Everyone who donates to me will receive a thank you from me via email, though there will be a delay on it, I'm still catching up on regular emails from people.

I vote for the idea of a 'Wall of Fame', a page with the names (and optionally the amount they donated) of donors.
A good idea, though I'm not sure what names people will want since I think Paypal only does real names and not screennames. I guess I could check it against the email addresses for the forum registration.