Too much cash? We can help.

How about the already suggested tags, but also tags for people who have helped out a lot in other ways such as subtitles, voice acting, etc.?

2Ross

If you plan to make a list of people who donated something, helped with something, have done something useful. I'd rather advise not to put their name in videos...because its mostly unwanted information and not very usable. One watch - one chance to see the names. Better way is making a huge list on this site with any type of sorting e.g. names, nicks, icqs, money count whatever - the bright side is - anyone who WANTS to see who is helpful just goes and watches, and that's it. Oh and it could be automated )

This whole thread of ideas ain't bad, I think. Way more than I had in mind.

I agree with creating a page with a list of donators and also with the tags idea.

However I can't help thinking it will take quite a lot of work to continue updating that, are there any community admin's who can possibly help Ross with those tasks, so he can focus on making awesome videos?

I think the idea of having a person contribute a voice (if he has a mic) or contributing a line is also very good.

However since it's not possible that ever donator do that, why not have a draw once in a while amonst the list of donators for the voice acting? In the latter idea, it might be better for it not to be random, but maybe have a thread going and Ross will pick out the line he sees best fit for a certain episode. I've really seen some very funny ideas from people on the forums here.

+1 for the name tag idea

and maybe the biggest donator during the development of an episode will get his name in the next episode:

for example on the posters that are inside the game (were freeman jokes: "safety".... "American Bad-ass"...)

file.php?mode=view&id=198&sid=1121111a16e1eedfe0fe34d2b7cd7887

and in HL2 the civil-protection recruitement posters.

And... perhaps by the time we reach HL2 the biggest all-time donator will get a ruler caricature to replace the Breen posters or video screens

Decal_posterbreen.pngalyx_poster.jpg?w=300&h=233

+1 for the name tag idea

and maybe the biggest donator during the development of an episode will get his name in the next episode:

for example on the posters that are inside the game (were freeman jokes: "safety".... "American Bad-ass"...)

file.php?mode=view&id=198&sid=1121111a16e1eedfe0fe34d2b7cd7887

and in HL2 the civil-protection recruitement posters.

And... perhaps by the time we reach HL2 the biggest all-time donator will get a ruler caricature to replace the Breen posters or video screens

Decal_posterbreen.pngalyx_poster.jpg?w=300&h=233

That does actually sound like a very good idea!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Personally, I don't want anything. I gave $20 (woulda given more if I could) for all the great videos that have already been done and need nothing else. Just my 2 cents.

-TNT90

Good god, let's not sully the videos with shout-outs... and forum-side rewards aren't necessarily going to work. Not all donators will use the forums.

I'd say either go the Andrew Hussie (MSPA) route and make a bunch of t-shirts and random merch - probably not a feasible suggestion - or go the Toady One (Dwarf Fortress) route and email out rewards/put them on some reward page on the site.

I suppose if people are really desperate for forum rewards, you could plonk a tiny heart next to their name, but try to keep it classy...

Yes, I don't think, that any alterations to your videos would be appreciated - you have set pretty high standards of quality, and "donator voice acting", or visual clues to people in this community (it might be immersion braking). I would actually love avoiding any special attention, since I feel it has to come from heart, and one shouldn't need anything in return . Well, forum tags/special page on site, maybe...

Then again, I am really not in a position to donate at the moment, so I don't really know, how much weight my argument has

--♪♫

although it is nice to give t-shirts and merchandise to you donators. it defies the purpose.

Ross gets some money and now needs to spend his time with: designing, ordering, accepting big order, find donators shippping data, pack and label for donators, and finally sent merchadise.

the sum in donations would just be a compensation for the time lost in doing all the above.

By giving back small things like donator tags, or very subtle shout-out in an episode would require only an extra minute or 2.

but then again donators shouldn't need anything in return

I agree. This should be about the cause.

I bring you mortal danger and cookies. Not necessarily in that order.

http://www.youtube.com/jclc

Indeed they shouldn't need, after all it is DONATING(which is usually done without receiving something in return).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

yes, why do you need to stand out if you donate? I think this is not fair to give ppl tags, as all others who can not donate or don't want to, will feel excluded....

Many many people watches FM and Civil Protection EVERY DAY! You think they should get some tags ??

wall of fame would be nice, but if you want to get a VIP status, you can always donate 5000$, I'm sure Ross would react to that

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

GOod That you have donations enabled you deserve something for your effort.

Also, what you could do for the ones that donate is make like a live chat room for all the ones who donated and you chat with them when you have time, and they can give you ideas. or also I dont know... I livestream?

So...it looks like most of Ross "donators" are trying to BUY their way into internet fame and/or Ross life .Anyway, changing your videos or hiring voice actors based on the fact they donated would represent some of the worst things of our society and it would be just an extension of bribery.Either give them a "donators" group or change the color of their usernames or do nothing.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

The future of gaming lies in realistic simulations of extraordinary realities

"I am drunk, you dont have an excuse"

or dont do nothing.

Double negative.

Do nothing, we give out of the kindness of our hearts or we're just being assholes.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I don't know about a donator-only stipulation, but I like that live chat idea. I really like the interviews Ross has done.

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

I don't know about a donator-only stipulation, but I like that live chat idea. I really like the interviews Ross has done.

Just make an IRC channel...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.