THE GPU NIGHTMARE

Sign in to follow this  

Sry, if this topic allready exists elswhere....maybe on the "serious topics"....since im new here, i can't check everything on the forum....

To the point:

I'm stuck with my FIRST build.....'cause of the current GPU shortage.

(if someone cares:

my plan is:

CPU: intel 10600K (got it for 190 €!)

Board: Asus rog strix gaming f (i don't need wlan and i plan to oc the sh** out of the chip and the memory as well..; and i can't recommend Asus boards enough, my last one (h87-pro) kicks derrieres until today...no probs at all!)

RAM: 32gb Corsair lpx vengeance 3600mhz (if OCed...!!!! Attention on the official 10600K support rate!)

PSU: corsair rm750

M.2 SSD...duh!

CPU Cooler: Dark rock pro 4....for actually hardecore OC! Fits the Ram, but needs enough space in the case)

BUT NOW: GPU!

I need a rtx 3070 at least, to make the upgrade from my gtx 1080 worth it.

So, at the moment....i'm "loved from behind in a solid and unpleasent way"!  

I know, i don't have to upgrade at the moment...i don't care so much about VR or Raytracing right now....

it's more about the building, than the having...if you get my point.

I'm not rich, but i get a good structure in life...by buying one part at a time, when i can afford it.

OK, that's my perspective on the topic...i consider myself to be just "mildly" affectet by the shortage...i can play all i want.....but the fear of my gpu having ANY issue feels like damocles's sword over my head....not nice!

But check out this guy: https://www.wired.com/story/gpu-shortage-existential-dread-nothing-matters/

At first glance, all of this seems like the mother of "first world problems". But that article kind of hits to close to home, imo.

If you think about it, it touches some quite important issues: resource shortage, maybe environmental issues, inequality (if you can afford it to pay 1500+ bucks, just for a gpu, you don't have a problem at all...), the capability of the "free market" to provide for everyone,.....

So, what is your opinion/perspective/experiance/expertise/current knowledge on the Topic?

I'd love to know!      

I sat on a waiting list for 3 months for a watercooled 3080, then the day all reports pointed to the stock returning around the same time NEXT generation's GPUs were scheduled to start coming out, I dropped my waiting lists and instead got a nice watercooler for my 5700XT. Gained significant performance, and drastically reduced noise, all for significantly less than I would've paid for a new card, and what I have now can still do 60FPS or better at max settings on any game I have or am planning to get.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I do consider myself to also be just mildly affected by the shortage. I have an i5 8400, 16gb of ram @ 3000mhz and I kind of feel lucky to have my 1070. The only game that I play has pushed my setup to the point where I say ''Ok yeah an upgrade would be nice'' is Cyberpunk 2077. And it's not like it didn't run at 55-75 FPS with the 1070 at low-medium but I have a 144hz monitor lol. 

Buying at the moment is so screwed. A 1660Ti is what I can buy for what my 1070 cost me back in 2016. And that's a slight downgrade in terms of performance if my 1070 were to kick the bucket. An RX 580 could be had for a little bit less but that would just be to get by I was so excited when the announced the 3070s MSRP. I thought ''Great. Those $500 will buy me a card for the next 5-6 years''. Boy was I not expecting all of this lol. 

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

On 5/27/2021 at 2:31 AM, BTGBullseye said:

I sat on a waiting list for 3 months for a watercooled 3080, then the day all reports pointed to the stock returning around the same time NEXT generation's GPUs were scheduled to start coming out, I dropped my waiting lists and instead got a nice watercooler for my 5700XT. Gained significant performance, and drastically reduced noise, all for significantly less than I would've paid for a new card, and what I have now can still do 60FPS or better at max settings on any game I have or am planning to get.

Wait.

"Fleet Intelligence Coming Online"

I fell on hard times (Covid really F- my finances) and had to sell my RTX 2070 and am using my old backup GPU 7850 for the time being. but when I sold my RTX I didn't put it up for over MSRP. I put it for under. and only gave it to the person that was actually gonna use it for Gaming and not resell it for a profit. the dude sent me a picture of him actually using the GPU. So that felt good. I have a really good friend whos looking to buy another Liquid cooled 1080ti for me to use as payback from all the parts i gave him to start PC gaming over the years. Tho this 7850 is still good. I am playing BF4 at well over 60fps 1080p medium high settings with 2xAA. just thought to share my story with everyone trying to get GPUs WELL above MSRP.

5 hours ago, TheOneFreeman23 said:

Tho this 7850 is still good. I am playing BF4 at well over 60fps 1080p medium high settings with 2xAA.

Sorry to say this, but I was getting similar performance from a GT 630M (yes, a mobile ultra-low-end GPU with ~1/5th the performance) at 1600x900 and medium-low settings... You might want to look into the performance of your card.

Recently got laid off due to a bankruptcy. Waiting on an rtx 2080ti workstation to fall off the back of truck, should be in a month or so.

It's no 3000 series, but it will do for now

@TheOneFreeman23: Thx 4 sharing your story! Tough shit! And a noble deed, selling under MSRP!  More power to you and all the best!

@Im_CIA: Sorry to hear that! Good luck to you! 

If your plans work out, you'r both faster than me, having to keep my 1080 for, well, as it looks at the moment, forever (TSMC price increase etc.).

As long as my card works, i will wait. Even if i could find a way, giving nvidia 1000 bucks for a 3060ti LHR feels wrong on so many levels!

Intels market entry may stir things up a bit. 

On 9/7/2021 at 3:19 PM, HUBERTfromAUSTRIA said:

Intels market entry may stir things up a bit. 

Don't bet on it. It'll be mid-tier at best. If we're extremely lucky, it'll even have a decent driver after a few decades.

On 8/11/2021 at 1:33 PM, Im_Unemployed said:

Recently got laid off due to a bankruptcy. Waiting on an rtx 2080ti workstation to fall off the back of truck, should be in a month or so.

It's no 3000 series, but it will do for now

The wait it over

IMG_20210911_093034211.jpg

On 9/11/2021 at 2:02 PM, BTGBullseye said:

Grats! Did you manage to get any extra 2080tis?

Unfortunately I don't want to play anything made past 2011 

On 9/15/2021 at 9:16 PM, Im_Unemployed said:

Your loss. Valheim is amazing.

On 9/16/2021 at 5:16 AM, Im_Unemployed said:

This is a great solution to! So many good old games! But why exactly 2011? I mean, if you would expand it to 2012, you could do the Mass effect Trilogy or Dishonored....

I'm done now building a system around my 1080 and now RE 2 Remake runs fine (most spec heavy title i own)....so i'm fine....Only upcoming Problem: Elden Ring 

On 9/10/2021 at 1:36 PM, BTGBullseye said:

Don't bet on it. It'll be mid-tier at best. If we're extremely lucky, it'll even have a decent driver after a few decades.

Well said! ....unfortunatly

On 10/4/2021 at 8:51 PM, HUBERTfromAUSTRIA said:

This is a great solution to! So many good old games! But why exactly 2011? I mean, if you would expand it to 2012, you could do the Mass effect Trilogy or Dishonored....

ME was great. It's not a cutoff- more drifting a scatter plot where most points fall below a certain time period.

On 9/16/2021 at 3:16 AM, Im_Unemployed said:

Have you tried Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun? I don't usually find new games enjoyable, but I remember enjoying that one when I played it a few years ago.

On 10/13/2021 at 6:40 PM, This field is required. said:

Have you tried Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun? I don't usually find new games enjoyable, but I remember enjoying that one when I played it a few years ago.

Don't have the patience for stealth games anymore