Bullying (School)

Do you think bullying is handled appropiately in the school system?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think bullying is handled appropiately in the school system?

• Yes
    • No

Absolutely not.

Schools advise you to not fight back, because just ignoring a bully generally just makes things WORSE. Showing him who's boss would be a bit more appropriate honestly.

R.I.P Stephen "Anti-Social Fatman" Bray

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

All of that is proof of different moral reasoning in different cultures.

Hippies lol, good thing the Soviets never had to put up with those assholes, lol, I imagine we would be bankrupt much earlier. Not to mention the mafia...

The last thing that I want to write is that, I thought he was from New Zealand... as it says in his description.

Our parents bully our children.........

You'd be suprised how PC our government is, you know that they passed a law a few years ago called the anti-smacking law. Does what it says, Parent cannot slap or smack their children in any way.

But... "Our parents bully our children" that's f**ked up dude.

I don't see what's f**ked up there, I'm going to smack my child until the age it's mature. :P

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

I don't see what's f**ked up there, I'm going to smack my child until the age it's mature. :P

That isn't bullying, that's discipline.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Well, maybe I'm bad in english definitions....

You may call it what you want, but that's what I'm going to do ;)

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

^ yeah okay BTG, it was a typo. I've edited it.

Thank you.

i dont know what you think, but from my point of view bullying is, up to a point, something good. yes, the guy(s) make your life miserable, but it gets you ready for the real world. its like getting rid of a problem, if you cant solve 1 you wont be able to solve the rest. in my case, after i broke that guy's nose and left him bleeding i learned that i could do stuff i didnt think me capable of doing. plus, its him/her the one that's gonna end up fucked up, not you.

[82nd] Mr. Kochi Bracegirlde: You just blow that fife

[82nd] Mr. Kochi Bracegirlde: the 'if ye know what i mean' aside

Hooper: want to give your men a fast reload? BLOW ME FIRST

plus, its him/her the one that's gonna end up fucked up, not you.

That's not entirely true, most of the time being bullied a lot is a big bitch slap to someones self esteem.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nope, that's bad parenting. Because you have to be a pretty awful parent if you have to resort to hitting your children.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, I disagree with smacking children as well. My dad has never smacked me and I think I've turned out all right.

I don't have a problem with an attention-getting swat on the backside, or a single disciplinary smack. Anything more than that is overkill.

With particularly active children, especially once they start running, sometimes a swat (which does not even have to be painful) is the only thing that will grab their attention long enough for you to impart the actual lesson. For instance, if the child is reaching for the stove, in immediate danger, calmly explaining the situation to the child will only result in a burned child.

In my case, I would occasionally recieve a backside swat with a paddle as a child... not so much for misbehaving, as for LYING about misbehaving, once I was caught. (If I admitted wrongdoing or screwing up, I usually got off with more standard - even lenient - disciplinary measures.)

My parents, who were teachers, held this opinion about public school discipline, as stated by my father: "If he misbehaves, paddle him, then send him home and we'll paddle him again." Needless to say I was NEVER paddled at school. (Not that I never did anything against the rules, but the few things I did always ended up ruled "justified" by the attending teacher - swearing at the guy who illegally hit me in the face in dodgeball, or throwing the guy who cut in front of me in the lunch line across the room.)

However, there is a fine line between "not beat enough" and "beat too much," and it can be hard to find... probably better to err on the side of caution if you're not sure.

One last thought... the only parent worse than the parent who "hits" their child, is the parent who threatens to... then doesn't. Kids pick up on that REAL fast, if you're the kind of adult who can't be counted on to live up to their promises or threats. And once you fail at that, it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to win back their respect.

The biggest failures as parents I ever saw were always the ones who would threaten disiplinary measures, and then pull back:

"If you keep that up, We're not going to McDonald's."

"WAAAAH!"

"Okay, we're going to McDonald's."

ALWAYS leads to uncontrollable brats.

You MUST keep your promises. If you promise a reward, you must deliver. If you promise pain, you must deliver. If you're not willing to deliver, NEVER MAKE THE PROMISE.

Seriously, folks, if you learn NO other lesson before you become a parent, learn that one.

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

@Doom Shepherd:

Same upbringing for me, and I agree 100% with that parenting method.

Last time I was REALLY bullied, he got his lesson. This kid would always try to fight me, mostly by starting to punch me. The thing is, is that he is was an idiot, and I was WAYYY smarter. So I told a teacher to watch and record a fight he was going to start. So once the kid approached me, the teacher started recording. I let him punch me and stuff. I was sitting down in a chair and he was standing up, so when he started to walk away. I grabbed the back of his head, and threw his face straight into a brick wall, he lost a tooth (they were adult teeth) and had to get stitches. The principle had called me in to explain and I had the video, so once he saw, he was on my side. The problem was the kid's parents. The prick tried to pull it on me, so I pulled out the video for them too. Apparently he had gotten away with a lot of crap before and his parents were so mad they sent him off to Canada to live with an aunt and uncle.

Hi Friend.

If you were bullied into a fight and trying to defend yourself (back at my school, I don't know whether the policy is the same on defending while being attacked is the same), you and the bully would be suspended for x amount of days.

Suspension? Over here, they give you a 200 dollar citation AND suspend you. For fighting. EVEN IF IT'S SELF DEFENSE! They'd rather you just get your ass kicked. Even if the whole class, and a substitute (hell, even if a camera sees) that you only acted in self-defense, doesn't matter. Both of you are fined and suspended.

And also, if you're a senior and you get into any fights, THEY'LL HOLD YOU BACK FROM GRADUATING! So my last year I had to just ignore all of the shit so I wouldn't have to do the whole year over again.

Oh, and the same thing can happen like it did with a friend. Another kid was punching him, he didn't hit back (following their retarded rules) and he STILL got the citation anyway for fighting.

====================

I had a hellish freshman year, and my Mom had always told me if someone is messing with you, kick their ass. But I didn't want to cost her money, so I held back, just suffered through it. But she noticed I was miserable. She said she'd pay the fine, to just kick that guys ass to make him leave me alone. I only got in a couple of punches (after he had been shoving me), before a teacher broke it up.

[sarcasm]Sure, don't jump in and prevent anything. But feel free to only dispense punishment the minute we actually start fighting.[/sarcasm]

I swear they only have this system AND lack of action till it's too late only to PROFIT off of bullying.

I really didn't have the same level of bullying ever again. (People punching me in the hallway as they pass) However, I did get other varying degrees of bullying. Shit-talk, stuff thrown, threats, pushes. But every time, they tried to chicken out of a fight by having me throw the first punch. (Something I don't do. However, I consider a hard shove a punch and will react accordingly.)

And when I was 18, I'd have the occasional student shove me only because of the fact that I can't LEGALLY hit them back because they're underage.

Schools that don't do shit about bullying should have their teachers fired. Enough said.

I've had a bit of experience with bullies, but I've surprised everyone when I've fought back and won. My friends know that I'm a good fighter, and I'm stronger than I look.

But I guess that the main problem I've had is a mental disorder. When I was younger I was a low-functioning Aspergers Child, and had a lot of trouble adjusting to situations, but a bully regularly punched me, and I didn't know it was bad, so I ignored it, and it became a pattern.

One evening I came home rubbing my arm, saying to my parents that he'd hit harder today. (I didn't talk about school much)

My parents were horrified, and notified our head of year. After the useless bitch had done nothing about it, I decided to take matters into my own hands. (I was really interested in fighting, and I knew of a few things i could do to get him on the ground.)

I walked up to him, and he naturally started hitting me. I made eye contact with a teacher, who did nothing about it.

I decided to catch his next punch, and put the kid in a submission hold. After he started screaming for help, another teacher tried to pull us apart. I, who was in complete control simply released my grip and told him that since the teacher refused to intervene when he was hitting me, I had decided to act.

Half the year had gathered around, and they backed me up. Not many of them were friends, but they knew that bullying was bad.

In fact, this kid had hit me so much that I had a really big black bruise on my stomach, and my arm had a small black one slowly growing. My proof was there.

The principle told his parents and mine, I was sent home for the day, and he was suspended for two weeks pending expulsion.

After we had decided not to press charges, his parents actually came around to our house to thank us. They were good people, but their son was a complete hell-hound, and they knew it.

Fast forward to senior school.

Not much has happened to me so far, one or two people tried to take a swing at me, but after I managed to put a rugby player on the floor everyone backed off.

My friends and I are fairly well left alone, but there are things that do sometimes happen, but between my friends and I, we generally put it down before it begins.

In regards to the disciplinary action? I guess it just depends on the kid. If you're a sufferer of Aspergers you'll tend to get the point quickly. (Or maybe I just was mature for my age, but I did have separation issues, so go figure)

But hell yeah, if you'er going to do a punishment/reward system, follow through, never relent otherwise you might as well just do nothing.

Hell no bullying's not handled properly. At least, not in all schools. My old school, you could get into a bloody fight with someone, and then get punished with an 'action plan' stay in for the recess and write down what you did wrong, what you should've done, and what you'll do next time. It never made a rat's ass difference.

in my old school you got into a fight the participating parties are getting a 1,000 dollar fine along with in-school suspension...no one got into fights anymore.

however bullies were still a major problem, some of the teachers thought what you'd think

they're only teasing ya, maybe you're too sensitive....uh huh..yea, you'd be too sensitive too if i shoved a- but i digress, i've seen a kid that was so messed up by bullying in his other school that he became obsessed with my sister, she rejected him...later he was seen crying in the library while sticking sharpened pencils in his forearm...you can tell just by his reaction to rejection that he was either bullied or abused...

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 50 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.