In all seriousness, this is a dire situation.

Maybe Gordon has a personality similar to Ace Ventura..?

NO!

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

As explained before, that's the point. hat's what makes the series funny. The fact that Freeman DOESN'T care what happens. He does not care what anyone has to say, he refuses to acknowledge anything that conflicts with his own personal reasoning. He doesn't care about anything except getting out of Black Mesa. That's what makes the series funny. Even though, I think Freeman will HAVE to mature somewhat later on, especially when he has to work with the scientists to stop Nihilanth. But it wouldn't be the same if he was just some badass who rarely talks. May as well watch a Let's Play of Half Life then, and then, it wouldn't be a Machinima.

And Freeman's thinking can still be implemented into Half Life 2 and it's episodes without it seeming like Freeman's doing this for no reason. If Gordon wasn't at Black Mesa or got out alive without the GMan actually wanting him, he'd probably become a Combine just like Mike from Civil Protection, and even delight in kicking the crap out of civilians. (I'm not saying he's a murdering psychotic in Freeman's Mind, but being a combine would probably bring that side out of him) But since HE'S the one the Combine want to kill, he has no choice but to join the Rebels and fight against them. He doesn't want to die, he wants other people to die FOR him. Plus he'll finally get the respect he deserves in the Rebels.

My point being, this is Ross's character of Freeman. (one I really like to think of as the 'canon' Freeman) If you don't like it, you can play Half Life yourself and do it as you like. Nobody is forcing you to watch. And, on the upside, it could be Barney's Mind, which, while I enjoy Barney's Mind, takes this whole thing about Freeman being dumb and unrealistic, and shoving it down a thousand feet underwater with Barney.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

As explained before, that's the point. hat's what makes the series funny. The fact that Freeman DOESN'T care what happens. He does not care what anyone has to say, he refuses to acknowledge anything that conflicts with his own personal reasoning. He doesn't care about anything except getting out of Black Mesa. That's what makes the series funny. Even though, I think Freeman will HAVE to mature somewhat later on, especially when he has to work with the scientists to stop Nihilanth. But it wouldn't be the same if he was just some badass who rarely talks. May as well watch a Let's Play of Half Life then, and then, it wouldn't be a Machinima.

And Freeman's thinking can still be implemented into Half Life 2 and it's episodes without it seeming like Freeman's doing this for no reason. If Gordon wasn't at Black Mesa or got out alive without the GMan actually wanting him, he'd probably become a Combine just like Mike from Civil Protection, and even delight in kicking the crap out of civilians. (I'm not saying he's a murdering psychotic in Freeman's Mind, but being a combine would probably bring that side out of him) But since HE'S the one the Combine want to kill, he has no choice but to join the Rebels and fight against them. He doesn't want to die, he wants other people to die FOR him. Plus he'll finally get the respect he deserves in the Rebels.

My point being, this is Ross's character of Freeman. (one I really like to think of as the 'canon' Freeman) If you don't like it, you can play Half Life yourself and do it as you like. Nobody is forcing you to watch. And, on the upside, it could be Barney's Mind, which, while I enjoy Barney's Mind, takes this whole thing about Freeman being dumb and unrealistic, and amping that up by 100.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

The original poster has some fair points, but at the same time, as others have said, this is the whole point to the series. Plus, as pointed out excellently by Frostiken, so much of what goes on in HL1 is ridiculous and nonsensical anyway, so Freeman's reactions in a lot of places make sense.

I'd also argue that, at this point in the game, given that Freeman has had absolutely zero rest and ONE thing to eat since--if the dialogue in the first few episodes is any indication--the night before he came to work that morning, he's EXHAUSTED. He's running around on adrenalin, barely able to concentrate on what he's doing, and his ability to think things through rationally and care are, naturally, degrading quite rapidly, as happens to anyone who gets overly tired and hungry. The poor man needs some decent sleep and a decent meal before he goes any further.

Ultimately, though, I will be, like the original poster, more than a little annoyed if he doesn't get at least a LITTLE bit serious upon reaching the Lambda complex.

One other thing I'd like to point out that may be the case for many people as well...I didn't like Half Life until this series. When I first played the game I considered it not all that great and in fact nowhere near as good as the hype I'd been given about it was. (Granted I played it first in 2007, but that's only because I missed it when it first came out--at the time I was too busy playing Duke Nukem 3D and things like Age of Empires.)

This series enabled me to appreciate the game much more than I ever could have otherwise, because it lets me play through it with an MST3K Mantra like feel, making fun of it where I go, instead of just being bored.

I am a lady, and I wish to be addressed as such.

This series enabled me to appreciate the game much more than I ever could have otherwise, because it lets me play through it with an MST3K Mantra like feel, making fun of it where I go, instead of just being bored.
The original post does sorta read like "I really like MST3K except for the part where they talk during the movie."

The original poster has some fair points, but at the same time, as others have said, this is the whole point to the series. Plus, as pointed out excellently by Frostiken, so much of what goes on in HL1 is ridiculous and nonsensical anyway, so Freeman's reactions in a lot of places make sense.

I'd also argue that, at this point in the game, given that Freeman has had absolutely zero rest and ONE thing to eat since--if the dialogue in the first few episodes is any indication--the night before he came to work that morning, he's EXHAUSTED. He's running around on adrenalin, barely able to concentrate on what he's doing, and his ability to think things through rationally and care are, naturally, degrading quite rapidly, as happens to anyone who gets overly tired and hungry. The poor man needs some decent sleep and a decent meal before he goes any further.

Ultimately, though, I will be, like the original poster, more than a little annoyed if he doesn't get at least a LITTLE bit serious upon reaching the Lambda complex.

One other thing I'd like to point out that may be the case for many people as well...I didn't like Half Life until this series. When I first played the game I considered it not all that great and in fact nowhere near as good as the hype I'd been given about it was. (Granted I played it first in 2007, but that's only because I missed it when it first came out--at the time I was too busy playing Duke Nukem 3D and things like Age of Empires.)

You'll love the Black Mesa mod then when it comes out.

I have always thought of Gordon's antics as a mix of social maladjustment and strange coping mechanisms. People do tend to react in strange different ways during crises. Think about it that way, and see if it appeases your frustrations. After all, I do not expect Ross's character to develop substantially.

if you want Freeman to be as he should, then just play the game. One of the reasons Freeman's mind is funny is that he turns out to just be an idiot at the wrong place at the wrong time, who in spite of how we glorify him is just screwing around and accidentally saving the world.

if you want Freeman to be as he should, then just play the game. One of the reasons Freeman's mind is funny is that he turns out to just be an idiot at the wrong place at the wrong time, who in spite of how we glorify him is just screwing around and accidentally saving the world.

Ew...I hate that term 'as he should'. I think Half Life is a lot better in FM. Also, Freeman is never an IDIOT. As stated by Freeman himself, "I HAVE A DOCTOR'S DEGREE!!" Plus he makes a lot intellectual comments when he isn't talking about parties and booze.

I like the series how it is.

I like that even though he is hostile to the USMC, he can go around, crack jokes and think funny stuff. Even though the place is overrun by aliens and the scientists tell him he's got to be the hero, freeman just wants to get out and the length of time doesn't really phase him, he entertains himself.

Its funny how in a time of chaos, he just walks around black mesa like he owns the place.

Freeman of Freeman's mind is a vaguely sociopathic genius-apparently he's always been a bit loopy, considering his references to having bizarre outbursts at his job. His eccentricities are tolerated because he's so good at what he does.

He's kind of pathetic, if you think about it-friendless, self-absorbed, scatter-brained-but he's also surprisingly realistic. Anyone here ever met a very smart person in physics or engineering or computers? Some of them are intensely WEIRD. Hard to talk to. Anti-social, insular, cryptic, touchy people. Freeman is a product of narcissism and brilliance, a strutting, insecure, psychotic manchild. He is despicable. Absurd. Broken.

And hilarious.

Well, as I see it, in short Ross pictures Freeman as

a mad 'evil' (a too strong word though) scientist.

His complete care-free, idiotic/mad behaviour is what gives

this series its humour & charm.

And the selfish and lazy (he is only forced to do all this

work) attitude towards pretty much everything fits into

the 'WTF, I just want to get out of here!'.

He also doesn't stop to think what he is actually doing,

like with the rocket lunch or the killing of the tentacle

thing. He just pushes unlabeled, red shiny buttons (who

wouldn't hit these?), which he just stumbles upon while

searching for a way out, but in the end nearly always

do something useful.

So far he doesn't know that the resonance cascade

would have such tragic consequences outside of black

mesa.

If he would, he might get serious... or ditch them all at

first chance hoping that the stripclub might still be open

before it gets destroyed in the war.

Of course the exit door is locked as usual and the only

way out for him would be through the teleporter because

he prefers to move forward and which he doesn't know

leads to xen because he wasn't listening while subtly

trying to find a way out.

So yeah, I hope he will still be the same despicable

hilarious scientist in HL2.

Of course only if Ross does it.

Goodness people, I'm not asking for him to be an action hero, or stop being funny, that's just the thing, the shtick just isn't funny anymore, because it relies on him being blatantly incoherent with the entire situation. Like someone said about Shephards Mind, that is a really good example of being funny while not being completely stupid.

Freeman of Freeman's mind is a vaguely sociopathic genius-apparently he's always been a bit loopy, considering his references to having bizarre outbursts at his job. His eccentricities are tolerated because he's so good at what he does.

He's kind of pathetic, if you think about it-friendless, self-absorbed, scatter-brained-but he's also surprisingly realistic. Anyone here ever met a very smart person in physics or engineering or computers? Some of them are intensely WEIRD. Hard to talk to. Anti-social, insular, cryptic, touchy people. Freeman is a product of narcissism and brilliance, a strutting, insecure, psychotic manchild. He is despicable. Absurd. Broken.

And hilarious.

Yes, he IS very realistic. I always found that interesting.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

the shtick just isn't funny anymore, because it relies on him being blatantly incoherent with the entire situation.

You don't like people for long do you... A personality will stay the same in the same person if that person stays in the same situation.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

the shtick just isn't funny anymore, because it relies on him being blatantly incoherent with the entire situation.

You don't like people for long do you... A personality will stay the same in the same person if that person stays in the same situation.

That's the problem, the situation has changed!